kay19801

How long for results

Hi all 

I had an upper abdo ultrasound and pelvic done on Monday morning, havent received results, does anyone know how long these can take? Just a little nervous of the results :( 

Hi Kay,

I do know that, especially in the USA scan results are quickly looked at by the radiologist, typically before you even leave.  They then sort the ones that are pending reports into urgent and non-urgent.  Urgency due to findings are immediately communicated to the ordering physician, first verbally and then, usually w/in 24 hours, via a full report.

Normal or minor issues are dealt with only after the rush results are communicated. It's an appropriate triage system, since bad results need immediate action typically and no one in the chain wants to be accused of holding onto results that need to be addressed ASAP.

I would expect that any bad findings would have already been communicated to you. Nothing wrong in calling the ordering physician to check in on the status, but the delay increases the likelihood the results are normal or non-serious.

Bob

1 hour ago, Bobnnat said:

Hi Kay,

I do know that, especially in the USA scan results are quickly looked at by the radiologist, typically before you even leave.  They then sort the ones that are pending reports into urgent and non-urgent.  Urgency due to findings are immediately communicated to the ordering physician, first verbally and then, usually w/in 24 hours, via a full report.

Normal or minor issues are dealt with only after the rush results are communicated. It's an appropriate triage system, since bad results need immediate action typically and no one in the chain wants to be accused of holding onto results that need to be addressed ASAP.

I would expect that any bad findings would have already been communicated to you. Nothing wrong in calling the ordering physician to check in on the status, but the delay increases the likelihood the results are normal or non-serious.

Bob

Thanks Bob :) 

14 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Honestly hearing no results (phone call) = good results. :) Possibly try calling them! 

:) I hear you, just want to know - I might call them tonight as my Dr is not in this week that ordered the scan so thinking they may be waiting for him to return so that he can read the report etc...

Many years ago I had an abdominal MRI with contrast and it took the GI physician around 6 weeks to get back to me. All was fine. Typically, it can take up to a week, I have found, based on other tests I have had in the past. 

13 hours ago, MARC said:

Many years ago I had an abdominal MRI with contrast and it took the GI physician around 6 weeks to get back to me. All was fine. Typically, it can take up to a week, I have found, based on other tests I have had in the past. 

Thank you - I called the Dr on Wednesday and they said results can take up to 7 days.....I guess I shall just have to wait and see what they do