Sign in to follow this  
Sumotherguy

Keep biting cheeks

It’s getting very annoying. My left cheek just healed from a bite, then I bit my right cheek the other day, and just now I go and bit the left cheek again! 

Its so frustrating! I don’t know what to do to stop it. I’m trying to be more aware of how I chew. I just don’t know what to do. 

That's all you can do, be more aware. Do you do this out of habit, or is it purely accidental? I have had a long history with sort of biting the inside of my cheeks out of habit - nervous tic, I guess. It took me a long time to break it, and I still find myself doing it from time to time.

• Thanks 1

Ugggh me too.  It's hard to end the cycle because the bitten areas swell and are easier to bite.  HATE that.  

• Thanks 1

@bin_tenn and @mollyfin thank you fellow cheek biters! I don’t do it on purpose. I really think it may be tied to the anxiety because when I’m good I can go months and months and not do it. 

Next time I see my dentist I’m gonna see if she thinks my bite may be off and how to correct it if so.  Either that or I’ll just keep cotton balls in my cheeks like a hamster. 

I used to chew the insides of my cheeks. A few alternatives you can try that have helped me are using stressballs or squishies, wearing a necklace with a pendant you can easily twirl or mess with on it, chew gum, or I have a bracelet with lavender oil in it. You can buy them on amazon for fairly cheap :) You can also make your own essential oil bracelet/necklace, there are instructions for it you can find online, and use one that can help you relax. The one I find most helpful is the stressballs/squishies, but everyone is different. Try them and see if any of them help you direct your nervous habit away from your cheeks. If you do think it’s anxiety related, having the essential oil bracelet may really help. You can also buy oil diffusers to have in your house. 

Ok really guys I’m so over this. The right side just stopped hurting yesterday and what do I do while eating. Bite the same spot and made it bleed! 

I was trying to chew so carefully. I just don’t know what to do now. 

I go through phases where I do this! Good luck! Smaller bites or something? Eat something cold every day to help bring the swelling down. Maybe even get some crushed ice and let it melt on the spot that hurts.