Sign in to follow this  
sTeaLth

Non-Triggering Twitch Question

I no longer get anxiety from twitching.  It still happens from time to time.  Recently, my lip has been twitching for a few days now.  I am just curious to those who have gone to neurologists concerning twitching around your body, what did they have to say as to why it suddenly started happening randomly all over the place more frequently?  I do not believe there is any underlying disease... I am legit just curious why it started happening.  I know for me, this is literally the most stressful time in my life over all and that likely plays a huge part.  It is just odd.  Thanks.  :)

I never went to a neurologist but what I've read (I hang my head in shame for googling)...it's stress or caffeine. For me it's pretty much happened all of my life from before I had raging HA...so I guess I never really worried about it. I just go "huh...there's that twitching again." Shocking since I pretty much go to the doctor for like a papercut...but for some reason this never freaked me out. Also my mom gets it too...

• Like 1

My doc really didn’t go into that too much...just kept saying “benign...what you’re fearing doesn’t work like this.”  I get random hotspots that last anywhere from an hour to days, weeks, and months.  Some of my twitches seem to be positional, like if I straighten my leg I often get one on the side of my knee, or occurs after movement or use, like my thumb pad twitching when texting.  I can often solicit twitches too, if I contract and release a muscle.  This is not all the time, but like if I close my eyes tight and then open them my lids may twitch.  I also get big thumpers and small little ones.  Sometimes it feels like a fish is flopping around in there and then other times it feels like a feather is being dragged across my skin.  This stuff is just so bizarre.  I was fine for like 9-10 months after all the tests, and seemingly accepted these symptoms as BFS/anxiety, but a new hotspot this past November spiked up my fears again.  No doubt one common thread is anxiety.  When I don't worry and focus on the twitches they seem to be much much better.  Even if anxiety isn’t 100% the main cause, it is 100% a contributing factor.

• Like 1

This wasn't about twitching, but I always think it's relevant on HA boards:

I once went to a number of doctors for changes in my vision.  After what I assume were the usual tests, the doctor just said "Sometimes this just happens, and we don't know why."  

Just because a cause isn't immediately obvious, or even findable, doesn't mean that there's something wrong.  Bodies are weird.  

That said, twitches are a pretty common side effect of too much stress or too much caffeine.  Magnesium deficiency is another possibility and some people on these boards have had luck with magnesium supplements for twitching and cramping.  (Just be warned, the powdered form is also a very effective laxative!)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mollyfin said:

(Just be warned, the powdered form is also a very effective laxative!)

Oh man, I LOLed on that. 😂🤣

I have twitched all my life, so does my mom and brother BUT it's really out of control right now, every day in different body parts.... for me lexapro makes it worse. Every-time I am on I get twitching. Are any of you on anti-depressants? I also consume caffeine... maybe 3 cups of coffee a day.

Hi Stealth, you’ve no doubt helped me out a lot. My neurologist tested me and found out I have a food allergy. Gluten. But gluten is in everything and I have yet to be motivated enough to cut gluten out (I hate cooking) so I don’t know if that will have an effect, but I did read a scientific study where a guy had been twitching for years and when he cut out his food allergy, his twitching completely resolved within 6 months. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Solafide3 said:

Hi Stealth, you’ve no doubt helped me out a lot. My neurologist tested me and found out I have a food allergy. Gluten. But gluten is in everything and I have yet to be motivated enough to cut gluten out (I hate cooking) so I don’t know if that will have an effect, but I did read a scientific study where a guy had been twitching for years and when he cut out his food allergy, his twitching completely resolved within 6 months. 

How did he test you?? blood test? are you celiac????

46 minutes ago, Leah1976 said:

How did he test you?? blood test? are you celiac????

I’m not celiac, just sensitive. The sensitive people tend to have more neurological symptoms rather than gastrointestinal symptoms like celiacs. I had an IGG blood test and it was pretty high

1 hour ago, Solafide3 said:

I’m not celiac, just sensitive. The sensitive people tend to have more neurological symptoms rather than gastrointestinal symptoms like celiacs. I had an IGG blood test and it was pretty high

wow I am surprised your neurologist tested you for Igg, that's awesome.... I also wonder if I have trouble with gluten. Every-time I stop eating I seem to feel better. Anyways, I have appointment with allergist in a couple of weeks and I am going to ask for this test. I think this is very different from what they usually test for.

3 minutes ago, Leah1976 said:

wow I am surprised your neurologist tested you for Igg, that's awesome.... I also wonder if I have trouble with gluten. Every-time I stop eating I seem to feel better. Anyways, I have appointment with allergist in a couple of weeks and I am going to ask for this test. I think this is very different from what they usually test for.

NEVER MIND WHAT I SAID... I guess I was tested for Igg too....GLIADIN (DEAMIDATED) AB (IGG) and it was negative for me.

6 hours ago, Leah1976 said:

NEVER MIND WHAT I SAID... I guess I was tested for Igg too....GLIADIN (DEAMIDATED) AB (IGG) and it was negative for me.

Google why you still might be gluten sensitive and not test positive. There’s some elements in gluten that you can be sensitive to that the test doesn’t pick up on. I think there might be a test out there that’s tests for all the elements but don’t know if your doc would offer it. They always say the best thing to do is not eat it for 30 days and the reintroduce it. If you feel bad then that’s the cause. Lots of gluten sensitive people react badly to dairy and corn as well.

18 hours ago, Solafide3 said:

Google why you still might be gluten sensitive and not test positive. There’s some elements in gluten that you can be sensitive to that the test doesn’t pick up on. I think there might be a test out there that’s tests for all the elements but don’t know if your doc would offer it. They always say the best thing to do is not eat it for 30 days and the reintroduce it. If you feel bad then that’s the cause. Lots of gluten sensitive people react badly to dairy and corn as well.

I head of this... BUT OMG No gluten, no dairy and no corn ??? That;s paleo pretty much, right?

Oh I have no idea lol I just know that’s what messes with me

1 hour ago, Leah1976 said:

I head of this... BUT OMG No gluten, no dairy and no corn ??? That;s paleo pretty much, right?

41 minutes ago, Solafide3 said:

Oh I have no idea lol I just know that’s what messes with me

I am stopping again.... honestly when I didn't eat for 1 months I felt SO much better..... 

12 hours ago, Leah1976 said:

I am stopping again.... honestly when I didn't eat for 1 months I felt SO much better..... 

Give it time as well... people who have neurological problems from gluten, it will take longer for those problems to improve. So the longer you go, the better. There’s a study on this guy who stopped eating gluten and it took 6 months for his twitching to stop but point is they stopped!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Solafide3 said:

Give it time as well... people who have neurological problems from gluten, it will take longer for those problems to improve. So the longer you go, the better. There’s a study on this guy who stopped eating gluten and it took 6 months for his twitching to stop but point is they stopped!

Thanks for letting me know.I will definitely try again.... It's hard in social situations though... we go out a lot and eat in friend's house every weekend, BUT I need to to stick to it.