Jae

Son's ct scan

Recommended Posts

Ugh. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since my son had a ct scan of a lump in his neck. ENT examined him, said he feels it's a salivary gland. Could be blocked, could be a tumor. ENT said he was not too worried about it but it needs to come out. Then sent him for a ct scan.

No call from the dr yet. What the heck? I told my son last week he should call them, as far as I know he hasn't. 

Would they have called already if it was something serious or potentially serious? 

This is incredibly nerve wracking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jae, within 3 hours let alone 3 weeks he would get a call. I assume he is an adult. A 3 week wait just can't be anything serious!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, my sister in law is a nurse. She calls with results. She said that any bad results get sent right away to the Dr to call the patient. Even on weekends. It's priority. Also after all the people in my life that has had cancer they all found out that day they went in for testing. They never waited. 

Hugs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is virtually zero chance they would sit on a cancer diagnosis for three weeks. Zero. I know people who did get a cancer diagnosis, and all of them had surgery within three or four *days* of the scan that diagnosed it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all, I keep thinking maybe his ct report got lost or his dr went on vacation..... 

If it was me, I would have called in 1 week but my son is 28, I can't. 

The HA continues, I woke up feeling like my nerves are sizzling in my whole body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, today is 4 weeks since his ct scan and no call back. 

If it were me, I would have called at 1 week for my results. 

He's leaving for vacation Sunday and will be gone 16 days. 

I can't stand this, I wish I could call his dr. He's 28 they wouldn't tell me a thing. My anxiety continues. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jae said:

Well, today is 4 weeks since his ct scan and no call back. 

If it were me, I would have called at 1 week for my results. 

He's leaving for vacation Sunday and will be gone 16 days. 

I can't stand this, I wish I could call his dr. He's 28 they wouldn't tell me a thing. My anxiety continues. ?

If it were me I'd call the day of the scan ?. I hate hate waiting. So when you ask him about it, he won't call? If it's been more than a week the results are fine but I understand your worry of needing to hear it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm doing my best not to nag him. We talked at 2 weeks, he said I'm waiting everyday for them to call. I told him he should call, get his surgery scheduled, we don't know how busy the dr is. 

At 3 weeks, he brought it up, he said mom when I get back from my trip I'm going to have my surgery. So I guess he's decided to deal with it when he comes back.

Well... ok... we have $1000 in medical bills for a ct scan and the dr that read it but we have no results. 

Why didn't they call? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jae said:

I'm doing my best not to nag him. We talked at 2 weeks, he said I'm waiting everyday for them to call. I told him he should call, get his surgery scheduled, we don't know how busy the dr is. 

At 3 weeks, he brought it up, he said mom when I get back from my trip I'm going to have my surgery. So I guess he's decided to deal with it when he comes back.

Well... ok... we have $1000 in medical bills for a ct scan and the dr that read it but we have no results. 

Why didn't they call? 

 

They will take a deep breath. If anything its good news.  You still know it's not rushed through. LoL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we're at 6 weeks after his ct scan. 

He's been on vacation for 2 weeks and told me he'd deal with it when he gets home. 

I'm already feeling my anxiety ramping up. He's going to have to call them for results and next step. 

I feel like curling up in a ball and crying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jae,

The other day I read about my areas protocol/best practices as regard imaging. When a scan is done, the radiologist looks at it before the patient leaves. If it is very serious, the patient is advised to contact his doctor ASAP. If the scan is serious, a call to the doctor is required same day and a faxed report in 24 hours. Even moderately concerning findings have a 2 day protocol. These serious scans move right to the top and the rest just sit.

This is similar to all areas in North America. If he hasn't been contacted in 6 weeks it's clearly nothing of concern. If they had tried to reach him and he wasn't contacting them, they would have asked you to have him call them ASAP when you called.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you @Bobnnat, I really appreciate your response.  

They did not call him at 4 weeks. He's been out of the country so not sure they could contact him even if they tried. 

Before his first apt the office was checking his insurance, they tried to call him several times he didn't answer because he didn't recognize the number, they sent a letter to our house asking him to call them. 

I did not call the office, he's 28, it would not be a good idea for me to do that. If he was younger yes but not at this age. 

I want to believe they would have called if ot was urgent but you know how HA works it's filled with what ifs and random possibilities. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jae said:

Thank you @Bobnnat, I really appreciate your response.  

They did not call him at 4 weeks. He's been out of the country so not sure they could contact him even if they tried. 

Before his first apt the office was checking his insurance, they tried to call him several times he didn't answer because he didn't recognize the number, they sent a letter to our house asking him to call them. 

I did not call the office, he's 28, it would not be a good idea for me to do that. If he was younger yes but not at this age. 

I want to believe they would have called if ot was urgent but you know how HA works it's filled with what ifs and random possibilities. 

good luck, let us know as soon as you find out the good news!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NO they do not call immediately if they find something. It was 2 weeks after my scans when I was told at a follow up doctor visit that colon cancer had spread to my liver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ihadcancer said:

NO they do not call immediately if they find something. It was 2 weeks after my scans when I was told at a follow up doctor visit that colon cancer had spread to my liver. 

That's odd. I wonder why the wait?? I've had 4 co workers and a best friend that had cancer and they we're all told the day of their test or the day after. My sister in law is a nurse and she is the one who calls the patients with their results. She said that all tests that are abnormal are fast tracked to the Dr and she calls the patient immediately. 

I think it's probably the norm to receive results right away if a test shows concerning abnormalities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ihadcancer said:

NO they do not call immediately if they find something. It was 2 weeks after my scans when I was told at a follow up doctor visit that colon cancer had spread to my liver. 

Well sometimes they drope the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Vandelsrock21 said:

Well sometimes they drope the ball.

I'm going to have to stop reading this thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jae said:

I'm going to have to stop reading this thread. 

I was afraid that post was going to be a trigger. I personally have never ever heard it taking that long to get results and if it were me I would be furious at my Dr for waiting so long with results. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had lymphoma and my doctors NEVER made me wait that long for results. They still don't. After my first chest x-ray, which was on a Friday, my GP had me in with a specialist on Monday scheduling a biopsy. After my second biopsy, my oncologist was in my hospital room a couple of hours later with initial results. Five years later, that same oncologist called me back THE SAME DAY with PET scan results so I could leave to study abroad without worrying about a potential relapse.

Personally, I think it's some B.S. if a doctor makes you wait that long for results if the diagnosis could be serious and, in my experience, that type of wait doesn't happen often. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Angelica Schuyler said:

I had lymphoma and my doctors NEVER made me wait that long for results. They still don't. After my first chest x-ray, which was on a Friday, my GP had me in with a specialist on Monday scheduling a biopsy. After my second biopsy, my oncologist was in my hospital room a couple of hours later with initial results. Five years later, that same oncologist called me back THE SAME DAY with PET scan results so I could leave to study abroad without worrying about a potential relapse.

Personally, I think it's some B.S. if a doctor makes you wait that long for results if the diagnosis could be serious and, in my experience, that type of wait doesn't happen often. 

Absolutely agree!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jae said:

I'm going to have to stop reading this thread. 

That comment was for the person who didn't get called with results for a long time. I didn't mean to trigger you. I am sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Vandelsrock21 said:

That comment was for the person who didn't get called with results for a long time. I didn't mean to trigger you. I am sorry.

I don't want to speak for Jae, but I don't think it was your post.. that one post was a huge trigger..I'm confused on why it was even said. I still stand by what I say.. that's def not normal protocol. 

You always help others with your posts. hugs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never heard of six weeks being a length of time waited for bad news, though.  The longest I've heard of is one person who waited four weeks (on my hyst forum) - most people I've met heard within two weeks' time, usually less.  It may not be immediate, but a month and a half seems super unlikely barring major disaster.  Anything's possible, but it's not likely.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now