Sign in to follow this  
jdgate

Rabies?

So on Monday I was walking my dog and he got a hold of a chicken leg that someone threw out or one of the raccoons got out of someone's trash. I pulled it out of his mouth and my hand got a little scratched by his teeth. No broken skin or anything. Well, lately my dog has been acting off. Family says he's being super whiny and antsy while I'm gone. All shots are up to date but they are due again in September. The day before this incident I had to take him to the emergency vet to get plastic removed he had swallowed. Am I worrying over nothing? I can't seem to let this go.

What are you basing a rabies fear on? 

If I posted what you wrote, what would you be telling me? 

If you live in the US, we have between 1 and 3 cases of human rabies a year.

That puts your odds of getting rabies in the US between 1 in 150 million and 1 in 350 million, mathematically speaking.

There are 7,000 people a year hit by lightning strikes.

Your odds of winning $400 million dollars in the powerball are 1 in 180 million. 

Your odds of being attacked by a shark are 3 times your odds of being infected with rabies.

In the overall scheme of things, rabies, while a scary disease if you are unlucky enough to have it, is exceedingly rare in this country.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lofwyr said:

If you live in the US, we have between 1 and 3 cases of human rabies a year.

That puts your odds of getting rabies in the US between 1 in 150 million and 1 in 350 million, mathematically speaking.

There are 7,000 people a year hit by lightning strikes.

Your odds of winning $400 million dollars in the powerball are 1 in 180 million. 

Your odds of being attacked by a shark are 3 times your odds of being infected with rabies.

In the overall scheme of things, rabies, while a scary disease if you are unlucky enough to have it, is exceedingly rare in this country.

I love that break down!!! 

• Like 2