veryworried

Health anxiety about cancer

Hi

I am new and I am afraid I had several CT scans which makes me believe will result in leukemia. I am really worried and freaked out as I have two small children and I will never see them growing up. 

Hi, @veryworried. I am really afraid of cancer, too. I also had it once. I had lymphoma, which is similar to leukemia. Leukemia and lymphoma aren't caused by radiation exposure from scans, so you have nothing to worry about. You also need to have lots and lots of CTs to have any risk of other cancers. Please don't worry about that. You'll be just fine. 

Have you asked your doctor about them? Would you believe them if they said the scans won’t harm you?

The hardest part about hypochondria is believing that you’re ok and trying to live in the moment. Mindfulness practices and cognitive behavioral therapy are good ways to develop that belief. Are you seeing a therapist? Even if you aren’t, there are great books that can help you.

I wish I could stop worrying about these scans, it is ruining my life. No I haven't asked the doctor as I am afraid of what he will say. I had several family members die of cancer and I can't seem to stop thinking about it. 

On 8/9/2018 at 10:06 PM, veryworried said:

I wish I could stop worrying about these scans, it is ruining my life. No I haven't asked the doctor as I am afraid of what he will say. I had several family members die of cancer and I can't seem to stop thinking about it. 

I bet every single person on here has dealt with cancer in the family. And if scans were so dangerous they would not be done. I am 34 had 6 mri tests and 4 ct scans. Normal xrays lost count. No cancer. How about xray techs?