Ethansmom

High Anxiety and Can't calm down. Help needed friends

Today marks 2 weeks on my increased Effexor dosage of 75MG (4 weeks total). I'm still feeling super anxious- mostly in the mornings. I do have a lot going on in my house with my son going back to school, packing lunches, home being remodeled, busy at work, etc. I just wish it would kick in already. I had a super long period that freaked me out this month, so I keep thinking I have cervical cancer or something.  I've been having ups and downs with my husband, so lots to think about ALL day long.

On the bright side, I have been exercising more. Sometimes it relaxes me and other times it hypes me up. I guess I will just keep plugging along with the klonopin to see if that helps calm me while I try the Effexor. I'm sad :(

Good for you for exercising! Up until my anxiety resurfaced, I was walking 40min every single evening. Even though I'm feeling a little better, I haven't resumed exercise. I know it would make me feel better. I had a good day yesterday, and woke up anxious this morning also. But I got through it and hope I begin to have more good days than bad. I wonder if your long cycle has something to do with your anxiety? When I still was getting a period, my anxiety was worse around that time. Hormones are not nice :( 

I’m sure you are right Lisa ! I have had some spotting after my period too. I’m sure it’s due to the meds. My period is always screwed up on meds. I hope we feel better soon. Keep me posted!

I have bad anxiety as well, which refuses to go, it all started after I had to do some CT scans and now I am convinced that they are destroying my health and will cause cancer. I am trying lexapro but it doesn't seem to help much. It is impacting my whole life. 

@veryworried I too have CT scan anxiety. I have had a couple plus X-rays. I just want to feel better and live my life to the fullest. Not worry about something that may never happen 

@MsLLLthank you for thinking about us! I'm doing better for the most part. Tuesday will be 8 weeks on lexapro (6weeks at 10mg). I still feel nervous sometimes but find myself doing more again and not having panic attacks. I always feel a bit lightheaded and my head and ears feel full, so I tend to focus on that. I'm trying to increase my water intake. I've had ringing in my ears for as long as I can remember but it seems louder since on lexapro. I'll take that over panic attacks tho. I wonder if you've experienced or heard of others feeling lightheaded?

Thank you for asking about us. I'm doing better as well and not experiencing panic attacks which i'm grateful for. I am still nervous over certain things like my heart rate. I got a new fit bit for my birthday and my heart rate ranges from 84-104 just sitting. I'm going to mention it to my doctor, but i'm wondering if just constantly thinking and watching my heart rate is keeping it elevated. It does say my resting heart rate is 79, so i'm not sure if they just average out the numbers throughout the day or what?

11 hours ago, anxiouslisa said:

@MsLLLthank you for thinking about us! I'm doing better for the most part. Tuesday will be 8 weeks on lexapro (6weeks at 10mg). I still feel nervous sometimes but find myself doing more again and not having panic attacks. I always feel a bit lightheaded and my head and ears feel full, so I tend to focus on that. I'm trying to increase my water intake. I've had ringing in my ears for as long as I can remember but it seems louder since on lexapro. I'll take that over panic attacks tho. I wonder if you've experienced or heard of others feeling lightheaded?

Wonderful news! Yes, I had the feeling of lightheadedness, it went away, it's a classic anxiety symptom;  especially in combo with the others mentioned . Yours will go away too! , hang in there and feed yourself positive thoughts. You are almost there. And setbacks can happen but you will be prepared to deal with them better. 

Best Wishes. 

1 hour ago, Ethansmom said:

Thank you for asking about us. I'm doing better as well and not experiencing panic attacks which i'm grateful for. I am still nervous over certain things like my heart rate. I got a new fit bit for my birthday and my heart rate ranges from 84-104 just sitting. I'm going to mention it to my doctor, but i'm wondering if just constantly thinking and watching my heart rate is keeping it elevated. It does say my resting heart rate is 79, so i'm not sure if they just average out the numbers throughout the day or what?

Awesome! I'm very happy for you. Panic attacks are the worst. Certainly you are still nervous, what has been laying so long buried in your system is not completely going away but it will with time and using our coping skills. Your heart rate is fine, the resting one is good, since I'm assuming you are not an athlete;-) And yes, personally I broke free from my phobias when I completely stopped measuring my vitals. It certainly raised them----the anticipation of the what's if's demand their food to keep us in the anxious cycle. Starve them! 

Heart rates vary throughout the day and the activity we do. Don't pay attention to it and just let your doctor measure it- if you can at this point. 

Best Wishes. 

@anxiouslisa how are you feeling lately? I noticed that I have been so tired lately. I don't know if its the Effexor or what. I'm just so tired. It's about a week before my period, so i'm wondering if that could be it? It could be the fact that I am not sleeping well either. I'm tossing and turning part of the night trying to get comfortable. I'm hoping this will pass.

@anxiouslisa how are you feeling lately? I noticed that I have been so tired lately. I don't know if its the Effexor or what. I'm just so tired. It's about a week before my period, so i'm wondering if that could be it? It could be the fact that I am not sleeping well either. I'm tossing and turning part of the night trying to get comfortable. I'm hoping this will pass.

I thought I'd jump in and say the week before my period I am dog tired!!! I'm doing good to get dressed those days. :(. 

@Holls that must be what it is. Darn hormones!

And it only gets harder and weirder with age. My hormones are a beast. 

• Like 1

I have been having acid reflux on and off since I upped my Effexor dosage. I do know that I have been drinking more coffee and eating more chocolate lately. Could it be the Effexor causing me reflux. The weird thing is that I didn't have it on Friday at all. Now i'm worried i'll develop throat cancer. I just took a tums. My doctor said to just monitor it and see what happens.

I don't think a few episodes of acid reflux will cause you any long term issues...it's only if it's chronic and lasts a long long long time that one could run into issues. I'm not a medical professional so take that what for what it's worth - not much. But I really don't think an episode here and there will cause you any long lasting harm. I think it's pretty normal actually to have an episode here or there. Certainly coffee could cause it...or over eating...or lots of other things. Keep us posted!

@PennyPanic thank you! Yes, i'm trying to think of what i'm eating or doing differently. I did taking up running/exercise the same time this happened so I'm wondering if that's causing reflux. I hope this will clear up and that I won't have to switch meds?!!

• Like 1

@EthansmomI swear we are going through the same things at the same point after starting our new meds. I too am having reflux! Unfortunately, prilosec or nexium are not compatible with lexapro (and some other antidepressants) so I've been using rolaids. It's not the typical burning sensation, but more a feeling of fullness in my throat area/upper stomach. I then start worrying about esophageal cancer also, but as Penny said, these short term symptoms usually aren't problematic. Hang in there! I'm relieved to feel less anxious, but still worry about every little thing :(

@anxiouslisa ughhh I’m sorry. I checked drug interaction checker online and it says there are no interactions between the two . Did you ask your doctor? So many people take acid reducers that is surely must be fine, right?

yeah, I checked with pharmacist here at work and Prilosec not really recommended with Lexapro and celexa. I'm ok with rolaids t be safe :)

It's two weeks on Effexor and I feel super anxious (even with Klonopin). I had to take a Xanax for a break through anxiety attack. @anxiouslisa how are you feeling? I'm hoping this is a setback otherwise I will need to go back to 112.5MG. I have had pink eye for the last week, so have been depressed about that (It's getting better though). We are also still remodeling our house, so I'm not sure if it's a combination of all of these things. I feel very discouraged now :(   I was doing so well and then BAM, anxiety reared it's ugly head.  I feel like I can't breath, short of breath. How do I distract myself from my breathing? Thanks friends ;)

I meant to say that it’s two weeks into my increase of 150mg of Effexor. I feel anxious and paranoid like my heart is going to stop and I feel trembling and my mind is racing. It seems like the medicine always increases my anxiety at the two week mark. Ughhh

Hi Ethansmom - I'm sorry you are feeling like this. Hopefully once your body gets used to the new dose again, you will feel better. You have a lot of other stresses like the remodel and immune system being down w/pink eye and that all contributes to anxiety. I am feeling better on a more consistent basis, but at times feel anxious. Thankfully not full blown anxiety attacks though. Last week I got my hair colored and felt extremely anxious, but got through it. I've always had a hard time at salons. My hairstylist is so understanding, but I feel bad because I just don't enjoy things "normal" women do. I felt the tingle on my scalp from the dye and felt the all to familiar rush go through me, but I told myself "this is not going to happen here". i let my stylist know and she let me stand outside a bit and it began to pass, but I beat myself up about it all weekend. 

I know it's hard to take deep breaths because when you are anxious, you literally cannot. I find if i make myself yawn to get a good breath in, it makes me feel better. It's hard to ignore the heart rate, I wish I had a trick to that because that is the scariest feeling. It makes you wonder just how much your heart can take, but it does because your body knows it's healthy, and just our old friend anxiety. It's just so miserable and disappointing to feel like this, but I am so glad to know i'm not alone when I read other stories on this site. I hope you feel better soon and be proud of yourself for hanging in there with the meds. You will feel good again. I'm being to see the light at the end of the tunnel and you will also. We are stronger than we think. Please keep me posted 🌻

@anxiouslisa I’m happy to hear your days are getting better. That really makes me feel hopeful . I also know what you mean about the hair salon. Last time I was there getting highlights I felt super anxious- thankfully my hair colorist is understanding because she has anxiety so we can relate and chat about that. My pink eye is finally clearing up and I can wear contacts and feel more like myself again. I’ve been wearing my glasses for a week and they feel so heavy on my face, especially with the breathing problem. Today started out well. Woke up , ran on the treadmill, went to get some supplies for remodeling, and then we took our little boy to an arcade. I’m exhausted, didn’t feel like cooking, so we ordered a pizza and are watching some shows recorded. I do have these weird anxious moments when I feel my heart racing or beating weird. It freaks me out, but I do try to redirect my attention to something or someone else. The Effexor is making me feel really sleepy 💤. I hope it gets better and helps take away my paranoid thoughts . I see my doctor and therapist this week so I will discuss how I’m feeling with them. Thank you for listening and for always responding. Please keep me updated on your progress ( and any tips for stopping the self monitoring )😏

@Ethansmomsounds like you had a good day. The fact that you run on a treadmill should confirm to you, you don't have a heart problem. Thinking like that has helped me with my constant monitoring. I was constantly taking my pulse and blood pressure. My pulse was always high and blood pressure low, especially in the early weeks of taking lexapro. With the help of my therapist, I realized no matter what the reading was, nothing bad happened and I was able to exercise, move furniture, do yard work etc and if I had a true problem, I'd have worsening symptoms. I still do worry about every little ache and pain, but I haven't been checking my vitals. I hate that I focus on how I always feel, but I'm trying really hard to focus on other things. It's a start that i've moved beyond taking my vitals. Another thing I worry about is I seem to blame every weird symptom I have on anxiety and I am afraid I'm going to miss something bad if I attribute it to anxiety. So again, i'm worrying about worrying :( Let me know what your MD and therapist suggest.