Sign in to follow this  
armeade25

I have a funny story...

...because sometimes, we've got to laugh at ourselves. 

I want to tell you guys a funny story because I think it may help people who might be struggling with health anxiety today. :)

You may notice I just "revived" an old thread of mine. In it, you'll see that I am worried that because I can feel cold water moving through my esophogus and landing "somewhere", that I have Barrett's Esophagus's. 

The reason I got scared is because I googled the symptom, and the first thing that popped up was a link for "Barrett's Esophagus". I freaked out. Instead of clicking on the link, I told my partner that I think I have it and that's why I've been so sick lately. She told me to click on the link. We did, and that symptom was in the section "Normal Esophagus Function" - "Many people have felt their esophagus when they swallow something too large, try to eat too quickly, or drink very hot or very cold liquids. They then feel the movement of the food or drink down the esophagus into the stomach, which may be an uncomfortable sensation."

I've got to laugh at myself sometimes. We are sometimes so quick to jump to conclusions that we forget that sometimes, our bodies are just weird. 

Anyone else have an experience like this before? 

• Haha 1

Yes, this used to happen to me on a regular basis, when Google was my "fix", albeit an extremely short term and ultimately harmful "fix". For me, it was when I had my melanoma anxiety/obsession/fear. I would search for pictures and such, and in Google Images, it would show a variety of pictures of moles - many of them normal. But because I searched "melanoma pictures", the anxiety immediately made me feel like every picture I saw was melanoma. On the contrary, most of them were normal - Google was just pulling the first image from the page.

I think that's when this thought process was the worst for me. I've had similar experiences in the past related to heart health, but not nearly as bad. These days, I can almost always read stories about things and not experience any anxiety. I can usually distinguish the likely scenarios from the not-so-likely as well. It takes time.

• Like 1

It's funny because I work in Child Protection for a tech company - I am SO so so familiar with how Search Engine Optimization works. I have 3 degrees. I consider myself a critical thinker. My partner always tells me how smart I am, but that she feels like I have a total blindspot when it comes to health anxiety. And she's 100% right. That's exactly what it is. I'm a lifelong critical thinker, unless it has to do with my health. This is something to work on because I know I have it in me to be more analytical! 

• Like 1

I am also an intelligent person. My brain is a sponge, and I absorb information quickly, and long term. I'm a software engineer by profession, which also requires a ton of attention to detail, critical thinking, etc. Still, I often fail to use those skills when it comes to health. I understand, and it's not abnormal for us.

• Like 2