Sign in to follow this  
armeade25

New medication

I started taking 10mg of Elavil as prescribed by my rheumatologist for Fibromyalgia. It's helping me sleep better for sure but I wake up exhausted and I think it's making my body aches and headaches worse. I've heard the first week on this medication can be rough but this has only increased my worry. 

My shoulder pain is spanning bigger now, sharp spasms down my shoulder and lower back and I'm having the same feeling in my right abdomen. I also get headaches (sharp prickly) when my body overheats in the right side and now that's happening almost constantly. I'm hoping that the medication will eventually help but I'm increasingly scared someone is missing something serious. 

Has anyone been on this medication before? It's medical name is Amitriptyline. I'm going to try and stick it out for the week and see how I do but it's been awful so far other than getting better sleeps. 

Starting a new medication always gives me anxiety. Even taking the generic of a name brand drug I’ve had before ramps up my anxiety. Try to relax and give your medicine time to work. If it’s not helping after two weeks or so call you dr for a different RX. 

• Like 1

I'm only on day 2 so I'm hoping this is just my body getting used to it but man, this pain is no fun and I literally feel like my brain is in a forever fog. I slept for 3 hours this afternoon. 

Feeling a LOT better today - actually well-rested, not in the same fog! So happy about this. The pain hasn't decreased at all nor has the itching but I hope that this will kick in over time.