Wingnut

Crying Tonight...Lost..

I went to see my primary care doctor today as I had a follow up from a month ago when I was sick. During that initial visit my blood pressure was high (150/83) and my weight is bad (244lbs — I’m also 6’4”). 

Today, I returned to find my blood pressure is 150/101 and my weight is 246lbs. October of 2017 I weighed 230lbs. I am only 23 years old and this is really freaking me out. I’ve always had a higher than normal BP, but NEVER this high. Even when I was most stressed. He gave me an EKG which came out normal, and listened to my chest. 

Im crying tonight and fearful because he prescribed “Losartan 50mg” to bring my blood pressure down, and a blood test with TSH level. My family believes I need to just start exercising and eating healthier before I start using a medication. I agree, but I’m also afraid that I’m doing damage to myself. My fears are ranging from me having a heart attack or stroke, to not loving a full life and missing out on everything...I’m just really lost right now as my psychiatrist wanted me to take Buspar (and I haven’t), and now this medication which will probably react with my Luvox (which it does). 

Any comfort would be much appreciated. 

28 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

I went to see my primary care doctor today as I had a follow up from a month ago when I was sick. During that initial visit my blood pressure was high (150/83) and my weight is bad (244lbs — I’m also 6’4”). 

Today, I returned to find my blood pressure is 150/101 and my weight is 246lbs. October of 2017 I weighed 230lbs. I am only 23 years old and this is really freaking me out. I’ve always had a higher than normal BP, but NEVER this high. Even when I was most stressed. He gave me an EKG which came out normal, and listened to my chest. 

Im crying tonight and fearful because he prescribed “Losartan 50mg” to bring my blood pressure down, and a blood test with TSH level. My family believes I need to just start exercising and eating healthier before I start using a medication. I agree, but I’m also afraid that I’m doing damage to myself. My fears are ranging from me having a heart attack or stroke, to not loving a full life and missing out on everything...I’m just really lost right now as my psychiatrist wanted me to take Buspar (and I haven’t), and now this medication which will probably react with my Luvox (which it does). 

Any comfort would be much appreciated. 

Exercising does a world of good.. it will help your weight, blood pressure and anxiety. Eating well helps all of those things too. When my anxiety gets high I go for a long long walk and it always helps. I do all kinds of diff work outs, find one that you love and stick with it. I ride my bike with my headphones every day.. I put it on the hardest gear and ride for 30 min. It's better to do something rather than nothing. Start tomorrow and you will see a huge improvement soon. 

Eating better, by itself, can lead to improvements in anxiety and blood pressure. At least, it did for me. I highly recommend doing it, and sticking to it. My BP is naturally elevated, for whatever reason, though not quite as high - usually about 140/90. But I take a beta blocker once a day, and combined with better diet, my BP averages (at home) about 120/75. Some people have to take blood pressure medication, that's just the way of life. Do yourself a favor and take it.

If you take it, then start exercising and eating right, it's possible you could correct it and your doc can help you wean off of the BP medication. I don't think I have that luxury, unfortunately, but I'd rather take a medication than risk my BP continuing to increase and lead to early heart disease.

Hang in there. You will be fine! Just follow your doc's advice and do yourself a favor by eating right and exercising.

• Like 1

As a health anxiety sufferer I find the hardest things to deal with are those I don’t have control over. I would try to see this as an opportunity to take control of something that will not only help your physical health but mental health as well! Exercise really helps calm me down and lessens my anxiety and it will help improve your bp and weight. Pick something you like doing and you’ll have a better chance of sticking with it. Start with walking if you can’t think of anything, it’s a great way to clear the mind.

Eating a healthier diet is key if you want to lose weight and keep it off. It doesn’t have to be extreme, but start replacing one unhealthy thing with a more healthy option and it won’t be so hard. 

If you want to try diet and exercise instead of the medication talk to your doctor first. He may want you to take it and then see how it’s going before stopping it after a few months when you have been exercising regularly.

You can do this! 

• Like 1

I just wanted to thank everyone! 

After crying for quite awhile, I’ve made big changes to my diet and have been exercising regularly. I have already lost about 5lbs. My blood pressure has lowered a little but not much. 

Today after walking 2 miles I came home and after resting for an hour I started to really sweat for no reason. Out of curiosity I took my BP and it came out to 130/102. I feel extremely tired and somewhat loopy to be honest as well as irritated. I’m starting to wonder if my antidepressant is causing this? So after crying today I’m finally calmed down a little bit, but still afraid. 

• Like 1

It will take some time for your BP to adjust to your new healthier normal. Mayo Clinic website says it can take 1-3mo to see consistently lower BP from exercise. Keep at it and you will see results! 

That sucks and I've been there. Try to take it as good news in a round about way. High blood pressure is a relatively easy fix, there are tons of diet options, exercise plans, and if needed medications. I've known people much older and in much worse shape than you that have turned around dangerously high blood pressure. 

Honestly I'm as fat as I've ever been and need to lose weight in a bad way. If you want a diet buddy we can try and work together through the forum to keep tabs on progress, share tips, etc. I've always had the most success when I have people to help hold me accountable.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Walking Circles said:

That sucks and I've been there. Try to take it as good news in a round about way. High blood pressure is a relatively easy fix, there are tons of diet options, exercise plans, and if needed medications. I've known people much older and in much worse shape than you that have turned around dangerously high blood pressure. 

Honestly I'm as fat as I've ever been and need to lose weight in a bad way. If you want a diet buddy we can try and work together through the forum to keep tabs on progress, share tips, etc. I've always had the most success when I have people to help hold me accountable.

^^^ I love this and this is why I love this community so much. Walking circles, you are awesome!

26 minutes ago, Holls said:

^^^ I love this and this is why I love this community so much. Walking circles, you are awesome!

Thanks. I ask a lot of the people on this forum, y'all have been with me through every hypochondriac silliness in the book and have shown the patience of saints with my constant reassurance seeking. So I feel like if I can actually help some it'd be giving back to a community that's been very kind to me. I totally get weight and blood pressure issues so I'm more than willing to get in the trenches with someone dealing with them. 

• Thanks 1

Hi. I understand how you feel. But the good thing is you are so young you can really turn this around. With your doctor supervision you can start eating healthier and doing a little exersise to help both with your weight and bp.  It will take a little time but you will see results. You can do it. Its not a dead end. You have so much life ahead of you dont let this bring you down. It can be done and you are on the right track. Take care.

You can also check with your doctor the antidepressant can make you depressed and some other things, if you think it might have something to do. But also its normal to feel down when we are having health issues or any issue whatsoever. Take it slow but steady. Things will get better.