bin_tenn

I took a big step against anxiety today...

I'll start off by saying that I've done very well in the past several months, and especially during the past two months. I have been making positive changes for my health. Specifically, I've been eating much better, monitoring how much junk I'm eating (or not eating), and so on. I have felt generally well compared to how I felt before changing my eating habits. My average home blood pressure readings - which I only take at bed time - have been roughly 120/75, sometimes a bit lower. That's huge for me, because it used to average 7-10 points higher.

Despite these positive changes, along with improving how I react to negative or otherwise stressful situations, I have definitely continued to experience anxiety, even if it is not frequent or severe. However, it is still enough to let me know that I should feel better, and I should not have to suffer. And I refuse to!

That's why I've ... *drum roll* ... set up my first appointment for counseling tomorrow at 4:30pm. I've had a rough day today, in that I feel generally on edge (somewhat), and I've felt on the verge of minor panic attacks a handful of times throughout the day. As of late, this kind of thing only happens once or twice a month or so, but again - it is still more than it should be. So I'm going to talk to someone and find out if there is a not-so-obvious trigger (or triggers).

I have tried to find anything I can that may be triggering these reactions. I don't otherwise feel stressed. I'm very happy with where my life is, and where it's heading, with my family. Yes, I deal with the general life stressors that every other human being does, but things are solid right now. On the other hand, I'm not an expert in this field, nor do I ever claim to be. That's why I think it's time to see a professional, because I have yet to figure it out on my own, and I don't think I ever will without help.

I'm fine with that though. I probably should have done it a long time ago, but at the same time I have come a very long way since then, by myself. I have no regrets whatsoever. Either way, this is a huge step, and I'm happy to take it.

Never give up. :-D

• Like 1

Great to hear Bin!  Heaven knows we need to explore every avenue out there to help beat this thing that steals valuable time from our lives and of our family's.

• Like 1

That's awesome! I also just set up my first psychotherapy appointment. You've helped all of us so much - great that you're doing this for yourself!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobnnat said:

Great to hear Bin!  Heaven knows we need to explore every avenue out there to help beat this thing that steals valuable time from our lives and of our family's.

Yes, indeed. Thank you!

1 hour ago, armeade25 said:

That's awesome! I also just set up my first psychotherapy appointment. You've helped all of us so much - great that you're doing this for yourself!! 

I'm always happy to help. I am grateful that days like today happen much less frequently, but it's still more than I'm comfortable with. I'll let you all know how it goes. When is your first appt?

• Like 1

I'm glad you are taking steps into finding out your triggers. I went for the first time last Aug. I haven't been since Jan, but it definitely helps. Finding out why I have anxiety and learning some tools on how to talk to my anxiety makes me feel powerful and less afraid. Like you it still creeps in which is very frustrating but way way less than it was. I've always been an anxious person.... Mine stems from My childhood and watching my mother stress and worry. Let us know how your session goes!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, armeade25 said:

That's awesome!!!!!!! I'm so so glad you are taking your life back. 😘

• Like 1

Great news!

I need to do the same, not only HA related!!

• Like 1

My first appointment is Saturday. I hope yours is great, Bin! So happy for you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Holls said:

I'm glad you are taking steps into finding out your triggers. I went for the first time last Aug. I haven't been since Jan, but it definitely helps. Finding out why I have anxiety and learning some tools on how to talk to my anxiety makes me feel powerful and less afraid. Like you it still creeps in which is very frustrating but way way less than it was. I've always been an anxious person.... Mine stems from My childhood and watching my mother stress and worry. Let us know how your session goes!! 

I'm afraid that's probably where mine comes from as well (my childhood) but from my dad. He didn't have anxiety the way that I do, but he was absolutely a "worry wart." In hindsight, I had anxiety as a kid as well, but obviously I didn't know what it was at the time. I thought it was normal. Then I got older and realized "this sh*t is NOT normal." LoL! Thank you, Holls. Will post an update tomorrow evening. :)

1 hour ago, NervUs said:

Great news!

I need to do the same, not only HA related!!

Thanks! Mine isn't really health related. Maybe in some sense because I feel that may be where the panic comes from. But I know I have generally anxious thoughts/habits and that's my primary concern at this point. :)

My first appointment is Saturday. I hope yours is great, Bin! So happy for you. 

Thank you, same to you. Let us know how yours goes as well.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, bin_tenn said:

I'm afraid that's probably where mine comes from as well (my childhood) but from my dad. He didn't have anxiety the way that I do, but he was absolutely a "worry wart." In hindsight, I had anxiety as a kid as well, but obviously I didn't know what it was at the time. I thought it was normal. Then I got older and realized "this sh*t is NOT normal." LoL! Thank you, Holls. Will post an update tomorrow evening. :)

Thanks! Mine isn't really health related. Maybe in some sense because I feel that may be where the panic comes from. But I know I have generally anxious thoughts/habits and that's my primary concern at this point. :)

Thank you, same to you. Let us know how yours goes as well.

That sounds exactly like me. I always thought everyone was like I was... Then I realized oh crap they aren't. 🙄  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Holls said:

That sounds exactly like me. I always thought everyone was like I was... Then I realized oh crap they aren't. 🙄  

Haha, yep! It's okay though. I've basically accepted that I'll always have anxiety, to some degree. I can take steps to reduce it, but I accept that it's just natural for me to deal with it, even if it's subtle. Life goes on!

Ironically, today’s newest episode of Anxiety Guy is a 10 min video called How Your Childhood Led To an Anxiety Disorder. I like his videos and always learn something about my anxiety when I watch them. Check it out on YouTube.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Iugrad91 said:

Ironically, today’s newest episode of Anxiety Guy is a 10 min video called How Your Childhood Led To an Anxiety Disorder. I like his videos and always learn something about my anxiety when I watch them. Check it out on YouTube.

I like him. My mom used to scare the hell out of me when I left the house... Like even when we had field trips at school she would start with stay with the class be aware of your surroundings then she always told me horrible stories... I saw on dateline where this child was taken ........... My therapist said it's normal to tell your child to stay with the class etc the stories are where it should have stopped.. I'm glad she told me that Bec I was starting to do that to my daughter. So now I tell her to be safe, call me if she gets separated and have fun!! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Holls said:

I like him. My mom used to scare the hell out of me when I left the house... Like even when we had field trips at school she would start with stay with the class be aware of your surroundings then she always told me horrible stories... I saw on dateline where this child was taken ........... My therapist said it's normal to tell your child to stay with the class etc the stories are where it should have stopped.. I'm glad she told me that Bec I was starting to do that to my daughter. So now I tell her to be safe, call me if she gets separated and have fun!! 

I think about this often, Holls. I'm hoping to start a family in the next year or so and I wonder often what I'm going to be like with my children. The last thing I want is to pass on this anxiety to them.... I know mine stems largely from my mom's constant worrying when I was a child. 

7 hours ago, Iugrad91 said:

I will check that out, thanks!

So happy for you Bin!  I participated in some counselling after my sister had passed and my mother's health started going downhill and it really helped a lot.  I keep playing with the idea of going back and actually found someone close by that would be convenient to go to so at some point may make an appointment.  I feel my anxiety is fairly stable lately but still has its ups and downs especially around check up and testing time - just had my mammogram done and wanted to see if I could wait for the letter to come in the mail but after 4 days I figured it wouldn't hurt to just call and get the results...things could fall through the cracks so I thought it best to check...and all was normal.  

Just now, Jennie048 said:

So happy for you Bin!  I participated in some counselling after my sister had passed and my mother's health started going downhill and it really helped a lot.  I keep playing with the idea of going back and actually found someone close by that would be convenient to go to so at some point may make an appointment.  I feel my anxiety is fairly stable lately but still has its ups and downs especially around check up and testing time - just had my mammogram done and wanted to see if I could wait for the letter to come in the mail but after 4 days I figured it wouldn't hurt to just call and get the results...things could fall through the cracks so I thought it best to check...and all was normal.  

Thank you, Jennie. :) I'm leaving home for the appointment now. Appt is in 20 minutes. I'm glad to be doing this, finally!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, armeade25 said:

I think about this often, Holls. I'm hoping to start a family in the next year or so and I wonder often what I'm going to be like with my children. The last thing I want is to pass on this anxiety to them.... I know mine stems largely from my mom's constant worrying when I was a child. 

Even though I have tried my best not to show my HA around my children -- I feel at times it is impossible to do so and kids pick up on everything even if you do try and hide feelings or things from them. My oldest son - who is 10 - got accidentally burned in a restaurant over the weekend - we were at the Melting Pot for his birthday and he accidentally leaned over the table and burnt his forearm -- he started crying and asked "am I going to die" and I tried to comfort him and said, "no honey but we need to take you to the ER to get treated".  After he realized he wasn't going to die (which I fear he may have learned from my HA fears) then he was very brave and didn't cry anymore...unfortunately it was a pretty bad burn - second degree and about 14 cm long -- he has also had a few follow up with Children's Hospital and they have dressed the burn and feel it will heal well.

Therapist and I talked a lot. We went from my childhood to my adult years, including "today". She told me what I already knew: I have anxiety disorder. LoL. Since I'm willing to try medication, she gave me numbers for local psychiatrists. I'll be calling them tomorrow to set up an appointment. Therapist told me if I need anything, call and set up an appointment. Otherwise, start a med if that's what I choose with the psychiatrist, then come back in a couple weeks and we'll dig a lot deeper into the stuff. Woo hoo. :)

• Like 1

So happy to hear it went well! What a huge step and accomplishment. You are a great example and I'm glad to see so many of us go on this journey. 

• Like 1

Nice Bin!! Sounds like you are a man with a plan!!! It's always great to see people taking charge of their lives!! So happy for you!

• Like 1

So happy to hear it went well! What a huge step and accomplishment. You are a great example and I'm glad to see so many of us go on this journey. 

Thanks a bunch, @armeade25!

1 hour ago, NervUs said:

Nice Bin!! Sounds like you are a man with a plan!!! It's always great to see people taking charge of their lives!! So happy for you!

Thank you! I'm confident I'll find further relief with this approach. :)

It does feel good knowing I'm finally taking this step. Haha. Like I said, it may be long overdue, but I guess now is not too late. :p

• Like 1