Jvoth8683

Does marijuana work for panic and anxiety attacks.

Does anybody have any experience using marijuana to deal with panic attacks ? And if so what did you find was the best strain for you ? I ask because I use to smoke a lot of weed and didn't have panic attacks for 13 years and ever since I quit smoking my attacks have came back . I quit initially because I had an attack at the same time I was smoking but it only happened once and since then I haven't touched the stuff . My doctor says it might be worth giving it a shot again . Any ideas anybody any input helps a lot . Thank you 

Mary J is a funny thing for anxiety. It's 50/50. Half of people are fine and it helps, the other half find it makes things worse. I'm in the second half. I don't like not being all there. Panic attacks cause enough depersonalization as it is, adding pot to do that on purpose is just a no go for me. 

I have tried it but found I've had to work harder to calm myself down when high. I hated feeling that way so I'd head to bed and sleep it off. 

That's just my experience. In Oz, we don't really get into different strains. There's just hydro, strong stuff and bush, more mellow stuff. I had bush. 

I've looked into this. I used to smoke about 12 years ago, and I did a little again about 4 years ago. When I first smoked, I could smoke all day long and feel fantastic. Then, suddenly, the same marijuana was triggering extreme panic. Racing/pounding heart, sweating, paranoia, impending sense of doom. I tried it again four years ago, and several types of marijuana triggered the same. Only if I smoke more than a certain amount though. A small amount is just fine.

It makes sense. Having an anxiety/panic disorder, we are often much more aware of our body's normal functions and responses. Marijuana induces many of the same symptoms - increased or decreased heart rate, changes in respiration, concentration, etc. When marijuana changes those things, we associate it with panic/anxiety, which triggers an attack.

It does depend very much on the individual though, as lonesailor said. If it works for you, I am all for it. I'd love to find some that kicked my anxiety/panic to the curb. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way for ME.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I find that it bakes people so bad they aren't able to function buuut they feel great. Like someone said it's 50/50.

In Canada marijuana is presently legal only for medical purposes, but in June 2018 it is scheduled to be approved for recreational use.  Due to my health anxiety I was able to get my hands on some. I wouldn't smoke it, so I was given what is basically a pill or cube. It comes in strengths from 5mg all the way up to 300 mg. I took the 25 mg and had 1 "good" high during which I didn't feel nor focus on any ailment or perceived ailment.  However, it was a strong high, where I would never have tried to drive.

Last January I had taken 2 Ativan, each 1 mg. as I was having a tough day. In the evening I thought maybe it was time for me to try the MJ again; it had been a couple months since my last time. I thought about having taken the Ativan, but that was 12 hours prior so I thought it wouldn't matter.  WRONG!!  I took a 25 mg and in a while got a sick feeling, dizzy, not enjoyable. I ended up regurgitating and passing out. Scared my family to death. Taken by ambulance to the ER. Once I had stopped throwing up, I seem to have gotten that peaceful easy feeling I had been looking for all along.

I haven't taken MJ since, but may try it again after legalization. Medical MJ here is not offered in edibles and it apparently will be next year.  There will be a strong education program preceding the rollout so depending on what I learn, I might start up with an edible and see where it goes; obviously without having taken a benzo anytime prior for at least 2 days!!

Talk to medicinal MJ experts. To avoid the panic you want a strain high in CBD and low in THC. CBD is what chills you out, THC is what gives you the high and psychological trips that can make the panic bad.

Its also one of those things that if you expect to freak out you will freak out. 

• Like 3

I used a CBD pen for awhile, didn't notice much as far as relaxation goes; but never panicked on it either.

I experimented with edibles, I tried indica gummy chews (5 mg a chew), I found that I was super paranoid on them and it gave me a major body high. However, eating 1/2 before bed worked well for sleep. The same feeling for the sativa gummy belt strain I had, good for sleep, didn't like the high I had otherwise. Will most likely investigate more into CBD if I go back toward the MJ route.

@Gilly I don't necessarily want the head high or any of that nonsense . I just want the panic gone . I think I will try the CBD you were talking about . I know a guy in Berkeley that runs a lab for testing MJ . I will see what he suggests as for CBD and panic disorders . Thank you Gilly and everybody else for trying to help and your responses . 

• Like 2

@Jvoth8683 if you don't mind, could you report back (or private message me) and let me know what they suggest as far as the CBD goes. I did research on it last year for things outside of anxiety and found the medical benefits promising, especially for things like post workout recovery, etc...

16 hours ago, Jvoth8683 said:

@Gilly I don't necessarily want the head high or any of that nonsense . I just want the panic gone . I think I will try the CBD you were talking about . I know a guy in Berkeley that runs a lab for testing MJ . I will see what he suggests as for CBD and panic disorders . Thank you Gilly and everybody else for trying to help and your responses . 

Good luck, Jvoth. I hope you can find some relief of some sort. I know panic really sucks!

Definitely it is a toss up but imo opinion worth a try if it's legal in your area.Like Gilly mentioned different strains produce different results. Body buzz vs Mind buzz.Also have to factor in the actual THC strength.If you're getting it from a dime bag dealer and it's wet flush it down the toilet lol.Thing is you have to have some form of regulation or results will vary a lot. 

On 6/10/2017 at 0:03 AM, philb said:

I used a CBD pen for awhile, didn't notice much as far as relaxation goes; but never panicked on it either.

I experimented with edibles, I tried indica gummy chews (5 mg a chew), I found that I was super paranoid on them and it gave me a major body high. However, eating 1/2 before bed worked well for sleep. The same feeling for the sativa gummy belt strain I had, good for sleep, didn't like the high I had otherwise. Will most likely investigate more into CBD if I go back toward the MJ route.

Hi Phil,

if you don't mind, what is a body high? Sorry, but ignorant to this and don't want to google. 

@MsLLL it's when you feel enhanced sensations in your body such as a sense of heaviness, tingles, relaxation, etc... Since I have HA, I usually get paranoid with body highs, others welcome and enjoy them

I actually stopped using it over a decade ago because it  began to give me panic attacks.  To each his own. I'd definitely say go slowly if you begin again and not blast all the way out and see how you feel after. 

• Like 1

I think those who sell drug tests for home using do a good thing because indeed there may come a time when you'll need test yourself without anybody's it, why not use http://drugtestmax.com/ for buying such stuff, they really know their business there!

From what i have read it cause more anxiety. Like a lot of people i have found on several forums start by saying it all started when i smoked... i would advise not to.