sweetstrwbrry

low white blood cells count - really worried

Hello I am new here. I actually was a member of anxiety zone but it was shut down?? I have struggled with anxiety for years since I was 13, and am 31 now. Mostly about health related things. I am on zoloft 50mg to help and for the most part it does until something comes up.

Most recently I went to the doctor to get labs done because it had been 4 years and I was feeling fatigued and run-down. I thought it was due to my job working 13 hour shifts or working out 3-4 days a week. I got my CBC done and my iron and vitamin D tested. I went for my follow-up on my labs today and my iron came back really low at 6 and he diagnosed me with iron deficiency anemia. I am sure because of my heavy periods which I've always had. This is all new for me with the anemia. But also on the CBC it showed my white blood cells as 3.04 (normal was 4.40-10.50) 4 years ago I had it done they were 3.6 so still also low. I am freaking out now because I asked him about that and he said we would retest in 6 months and if they were still low we would have to look into the bone marrow. That immediately screams to me leukemia. I am terrified and want to call the office crying because I am worried about this. And you know we anxiety sufferers have issues with waiting. Has anyone had an issue with this and found out a low count can be normal for them? My husband was just really sick for an entire week and he was coughing in my face in his sleep, etc. and I didn't get sick. I am going to call the office in an hour (they are on lunch) but I am absolutely terrified. :(

I just spoke with the doctor finally and he said he does not think it is cancer. If he did than he would send me for testing right this minute. And all of my other counts are fine.  He said I can do the retest next month if I want (had scheduled it in 6 months). I'm trying to think of what would cause this... my husband was sick this past week with a nasty virus and bacterial pink eye. Amazingly I did not get sick even though he coughed in my face a few times while he was sleeping. Could I have fought it off and managed to not get it? Also I went for my test the morning after I worked two 13 hour shifts in a row. My job is super stressful and thankfully this is my last week and I will be starting a less stressful job next week. Could this have affected my counts as well? Just wondering what others' experiences are. Thanks.

I don't know about what specifically could be causing your low white counts but one thing I've found helpful in the past is that when a doctor tells me, "No, I don't think this is X" I ask them how they know. Typically the answer is very reassuring.

A poor diet and lack of sleep can mess up your white blood count as can a minor viral infection!  Makes it LOWER.  Most labs are now going on age and gender with a lot of tests. Europe has already started this and I wrote Labcorp when I saw that cancer tumor markers were vastly different for over age 50, 60 and 70 but were all the same in the U.S. They replied that the govt. has to approve the changes and it could take years. 

My Creatinine is always slightly low (like .4) and I looked it up.  I eat very little meat. NO red meat.  That's one cause. The other is if a tourniquet is too tight or left on too long after the blood flow begins, it can mess up a number of blood test results!  

Since you're working too many hours, not sleeping well, probably grabbing anything you can to eat, I'd suggest you get some good vitamins like a generic Centrum or go online and get a $2.00 on Centrum off their website and take those daily.  

What was your D3 reading?  

My vitamin D was good, it was just the iron that was really low. I did start taking a multivitamin in the past few days so I hope that helps as well. If my iron is low, who knows what else is low that they don't test for. I know my diet isn't the greatest and I really do push myself a lot with work and I work out hard with cardio and weights. Honestly I don't even have any real "rest" days. Luckily that will all be changing!

Many doctors don't know the importance of a good high level of Vit D3.  My reading is 87 to 105 with Labcorp.  You should watch some videos on Youtube by Dr. Cedric Garland and Vit D3.  It's a miracle vitamin!  My reading was 17, got it to 39 and now take 6,000 IU's daily to maintain.

Hi, I wanted to post to this thread because I had a workup for a low WBC and it turned out to be...benign and idiopathic.   A little background... on my wellness visit in Fall 2016 my Neutrophil count was a little low, all my other numbers were Sat.  Doc said..."We'll retest in 6 months."  I had been eating no meat for several months, I added some back into my diet.  Never did get a follow up test.  Took my blood in Sept 2017 and.....BAM, my WBC (neutrophils, precisely) were even Lower!  Mild Neutropenia.  I looked back across my blood back to 2011.  Kinda slowly declining the whole time!  I was very concerned about things like MDS, specifically RN-MDS.  But my other blood lines actually rose between tests, so it all didnt jive.  I clearly have some more to do in not getting excited about my health.  Its hard.

Anyway, off to the Hematologist I went.  Which, to my delight :blink: was a "Hematologist-oncologist."  At the cancer center! Right there, in the building!  Me!  Groan.  Well, the doctor was great to talk to, she took my little chart I made of my old blood data.  Even though she had data already, I had the most relevant info on one graph or two.  We went over my health history (I was feeling better than ever really), and she put orders in for a whole battery of tests.  "Well, it could be autoimmune, vitamin-deficiency, or.....very unlikely, something called LGL leukemia.  Now, dont freak out" she said ( as I freaked out) "Its kind of a chronic condition that you just live with."  Then she said "I really dont think you have a problem with your bone marrow.  I've never actually seen a case of RN-MDS.  Refactory Neutropenia is exceedingly rare"

So I chilled out, went back a month later and went over things.  She said "you could have just called."  Turns out my WBC was back to normal on retest, and everything was negative.  

I just wanted to provide some encouragement to people.  I'm a work in progress myself.  Monitor your health, but dont obsess over it...dont make an idol of it.  And take care of yourself to be safe....while disease from natural causes is sad, death from stupid choices or carelessness is downright depressing!

• Like 1

Completing the record on this topic, I went back to the Hemotologist at the Cancer Center (gulp) to check my bloods after 6 months, from being worked up for isolated mild neutropenia.  Sitting there in the waiting room I felt like a chicken on the machine that turns it into food....Looking at the chicken in front of me and thinking "Well, he's having his throat cut but duh I'm just here to have a scarf fitted.  I hope."

Blood was fine.  Doc called it "idiopathic and transient" and said dont plan to come back.  

How much time I spent reading, worrying, thinking.  Not recently but last fall.  It did not affect the outcome at all, it did not "add one hour to my life."  

The fact that 4 years ago it was also "low" is reassuring that it's possible normal for you. You def would know if you were sick between now and then. 

Doctors look at all the numbers, the big picture... not just one or two things off.  He is right, if there is even a DOUBT in their mind they will send you for testing. I'm sure they see off numbers all the time! Take him up on his offer to go again. Heck, ask if you can go in two weeks. Get a good night's rest, take a deep breath and go. You will be just fine. 

A cousin of mine went through this as well. Routine blood work came back skewed, several things off, ran again a week later, still off. Send to hematologist, bloods came back 100% normal. Dr said just fluke transient. Which is one of the reasons I do not do blood work unless I have to!