Papyapa

pls help. MRI

Hi. I am new here. 37 year old mother of 4. Anxiety ever since I can remember. Have had MANY tests done, always come back clean. My latest was fear of a brain tumor. After 2 years of not letting it go my dr. sent me for an MRI.

Came back with no tumor... BUT "non specific white matter" WHAT IS THAT!!! Everything I have read talks about, MS, high blood pressure ( don't have ) High cholesterol ( borderline ) increase chance of stroke, heart attack, early onset of dementia.. I'M FREAKING OUT!!! Anyone been thru this?

Anyone? Dr said none of my symptoms are relative to white matter, so they will re scan me in 12 mths and make sure it hasn't progressed. :blink:

i'm a mess, all i can think about. help?!

Best advice.... DONT read up on any of it.... because you will only make your fear worse by feeding it all that you search.. I assume google/??? If you have any issues contact your doctor. and remember IF a dr finds anything of concern they move forward quickly on it. I know it can be hard but having that trustful relationship with your dr is so important. We seek their help but then have a hard time accepting what they say . So is the problem just the fear of a disease or health issue or the fear of being ok? I'm sure that sounds ridiculous ... who doesn't want to be ok?? But in anxiety we get so use to feeling "NOT " ok that feeling ok doesn't seem good. If we aren't worrying then something has to be wrong. Its a change of mind set. Have you looked into therapy? CBT therapy is great because it is all about learning to retrain our thinking... To not assume the worst and catastrophize a thought which is what we do in anxiety. A feeling or fear sets and boy that ball gets rolling and by the end of it we have something or something bad will happen...  Just a suggestion...

Acceptance is key to helping through anxiety. one of THE hardest to do but key to helping . I wish you calm and peace. Remember you are much stronger than you think. And no bad moment lasts forever. Trust your dr... try therapy if you cant find one , afford one ect... some amazing books that can help as well... :)

Ky

• Like 1

How true is that! I really see myself in Kylie's post! 'But in anxiety we get so used to feeling not ok that feeling ok doesn't seem good!' I'm in that stage right now:o

Papyapa, I agree with everything posted. Don't read up on it. Try to trust your doctor. And yes, we do go seek their help but are still convinced deep down that 'it' is something else. To accept that the professionals know and we are in good hands. And for us to accept that 'it' is 'just' anxiety. 

When anxiety started for me, I went to see my Doctor. He told me and I quote: ' You don't have a deadly disease, this is probably anxiety related!' And he said:' You know how many women come in here and ask for all kinds of tests, just to find out they are healthy." He recognized it, because he was experienced. I knew deep down he was right but my anxiety tricked me into believing that surely I must be the one case that is different because how could anxiety cause all these physical symptoms? Impossible! 

Well, almost two years into it: Not impossible at all and the truth! If I could have trusted my Doctor back then I would have gotten help much longer ago:)

Best Wishes. 

Papyapa,  Good morning.  I hope you were able to turn off the computer and rest well last night. 

My husband had an incident where we were doing 70 mph on the highway and he began to veer off onto the warning area.  I made a remark about needing to move over but he continued to head, this time, toward a giant stanchion / road sign.  I yelled and turned and saw that he was calmly staring straight ahead with arms and legs locked in place. I was able to steer the car back onto the highway, screaming at him 'You're going to kill us' and within 30 seconds or a minute, he looked and me and said 'What?'  I rushed him right to the hospital and they did MRI, CT scan EEG, EKG and loads of blood work. At first they thought stroke because he was 67,  but then decided the white spots on his MRI signaled not strokes but mini seizures (petit mal) and that he just never knew it. He takes two pills a day to prevent more. His neurologist said 'You know those times you call him and think he's ignoring you and staring at the TV? That was probably a mini seizure'.  

During those days, we learned that high blood pressure or even stress that continues for 2 or 3 days can cause a white spot.  He had a 72 hour EEG (which would be hard for you because you're supposed to sit around and avoid stress and chart any walking, stairs or etc for those 4 days. With 4 kids?)   His EEG showed some misfires which signaled the tiny seizures and he was already taking Keppra twice a day. 

Migraines with aura can be a cause of white spots so I'll bet a lot of us have those.  

I really wish I'd never seen any of my CT scans/ MRI's abdomen.  I worry about stuff that and find out they've been there since my first CT back in 2008. 

Have you seen a neurologist regarding the MRI?  If you take the disc in with you, they generally won't re order a new one. She might be able to ease your mind, but since you have no symptoms other than stress (and possibly headaches?), I'm going to guess you're fine. 

As a side bar:  Did you wear eye shadow, lipstick, blush, jewelry, nail polish during the MRI?  The glitter they use in make up is the cause of may incorrect readings.  When they say 'no metal', they really should be more clear.  

Diane

I have the same thing.  The neurologist didn't even mention it; I read it in the report.  In my case probably migraines.  In most cases they're nothing to give any thought to.

• Like 1