Sign in to follow this  
slapthatbass

Burning urethra anxiety?.... yea....

I'll try to keep this short.  Quick background.... I have a history of anxiety and depression. I am a 29 year old man. I am on a low dose of zoloft (25 mg) I also have ulcerative colitis and ankylosing spondilitis (form of arthritis) About two years ago I started to develop some health anxiety when things got particularly bad (had my first panic attack, which lasted for a month, led to a flare up of UC and depression) I am currently on humira to treat those....

Flash to now. I've been sexually active with a friend. Wearing no condom (I know, stupid). She said she was clean and had been tested recently, she is someone I trust much in my life, so I did it carelessly. I first experienced the burning sensation about a month ago. It went away for a week, then came back, and I became obsessed on it..... So much worry. 

I went to the doctor, he gave me one shot anti-biotics in case it was an std, and I got a urine test. (anti-biotics messed me up good) Its been 8 days later, the results arent back yet... and I am losing my mind. I googled for 4 hours tonight. Ive gone to thinking what if I have prostitis if its not an std.... Or something else. The process of going to a urologist to get a penis scope TERRIFIES me.

My question is this... Can anxiety make you feel real bodily things so exact like this? Could anxiety actually create the feeling of a burning urethra? and a slight ache in my testicles? Has my mind taken this and RAN with it?

Thank you.

Hi There. Welcome. The short answer is yes it can. Anxiety can mimic any known disease and even some unknown ones, honest. Once the mind gets ideas it can, as you put it, run with it and, of course, the more you think and worry about it the worse it gets. It's bound to. When you worry your body reacts to danger. Worry means danger to the mind. It can be a mild situation or a serious one, but it's still danger and the result is the same. More adrenaline more symptoms more anxiety..........the old well known cycle.

Drugs like tranquilisers only subdue or mask the symptoms. You have to get to the root of why you are worried. Burning sensations, especially when you pee can be a bladder infection, but I doubt you have much to worry about. It was not casual sex as you knew the person. I think if it was anything to worry about you would have been told by now. But you must have learned a lesson there. Unprotected sex with anyone outside a marriage or a regular partnership is never a good idea.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. An update... I got my results back today... They came up negative. In a way this is more troublesome because I don't know what the problem is now.... But I'll try to relax about it.

Searching for the answers will do nothing but make you more anxious.  It likely that it's just one of those things.  Like Jon says, if you focus on it then you will continue the symptoms, the mind really is that powerful and remember, all of your nerves which supply you with this sensation come from the brain and interact with your anxiety.  If you can, let go of these worrying thoughts whenever they arrive.  Visualise not reacting to them and letting them go.  If the stinging is still there, use the mantra "i know nothing is wrong because i have been checked and all is well"

• Like 2

I will definitely use that tactic. I had convinced myself I had acidic urine that could lead to kidney stones about an hour ago.... lol. Ugh..... 

Thank you both, really. That is reassuring. I'll still keep checking this thread to see if anyone else has any input.

Thats called catastrophising, your anxious mind bounces around trying to calculate explanations as to why you're feeling what you're feeling and when it finds one, you pounce on it and convince yourself that that must be the case.

You're welcome, we're always here to help.

They came up negative. In a way this is more troublesome because I don't know what the problem is now.... But I'll try to relax about it.

I hope you won't mind me saying so, but this is absolutely classic health anxiety. I know, been there. If I was cleared and found to be OK. I would come home, tell my wife I was fine and be as happy as riley until.................'Wait a minute, he didn't check my BP! Oh dear, he should have done. Supposing..........''' Then off we go again! It's a case of learning not to look at everything in such a negative way. Now I am not saying it's easy, because old habits do, indeed, die hard, but it can be done. Whatever we think of the medical profession, and they sometimes leave a lot to be desired, the vast majority are well trained and competent. It's only when a case of bad practise comes to light that we hear all about it. Thousands of operations are done every day with good results, but we don't hear about those. The old journalists expression "good news is not news" comes to mind.

I dont mind you saying. I actually started to wonder if he checked for a standard bladder infection and made another appointment...lol. I dont think ive gotten over the anti-biotics either yet... ugh lol. I know part of this is anxiety, or maybe even all of it, its just hard to discern.

I didnt want to mention this orginally, because I didnt want replies to immediately jump to it as the cause but... My dad is fighting bladder c****r right now. He has one kidney, that they damaged from chemo, and he can no longer get it. He gets surgery in January. So the stress level is pretty high these days. I didnt want to get the "sympathy pains" answer but... who knows.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, that cannot be easy.  

It's not sympathy pains but it's highly likely that the fear this is creating is causing the symptoms you feel.  If you focus on something on your body enough, you will start to feel strange things in and around that area.   You're doing just what i was doing a year and a half ago, visiting the doctors at every opportunity to get reassurance, then revisiting when i wasn't happy about the answer and the anxiety returned.  It's a vicious circle which needs breaking. 

Omg this is me right now. I am a 30 year old female with burning urethra constantly (no pain during urination).  I have been to a doctor about 10 times in the last two months.  Had about 3 different antibiotics just in case it’s bacterial infection.  Blood tests, multiple Urine tests and nothing shows up. I have a recent history of anxiety and panic attacks and major social anxiety.  I am literally awake at 4.30 this morning googling things the doctors may have missed. It just consumes you and is very exhausting.  I am certain that I have talked myself into the burning pain and know I need to stop googling but I just keep telling myself maybe it’s kidney stones or my urine is too alkaline.  So fustrating. I feel your pain 😩

Hi, try really hard not to Dr Google.  No answers lie there, only suggestion and fear.  Introspection can facilitate any symptom to any condition providing you know about it.  I would say that the huge amount of energy being put into feeling for the burn is responsible for the burn.  All of your nerve endings around the area are in a state of hyper sensitivity and are misfiring and your mind is misinterpreting the signal as being dangerous so you focus even harder.  You have been tested multiple times and nothing untoward is going on so the likelihood of this being anything other than hyper introspection created is very low.

• Like 1