Sign in to follow this  
MeiEden

Remove yourself from the situation that triggers your anxiety.

A few months ago, my workplace became a place that triggered so much anxiety in me that my husband and counselor both strongly suggested that I quit my job despite the loss of income it would bring. I was afraid that my anxiety would then just shift to worrying about not having enough money to pay the bills! In the end, the anxiety resulted in depression, violent mood swings, months of insomnia, and sickness to the point that I had to quit my job. The way things were going, I couldn't even enjoy my life.

It was the best decision I've ever made. Removing myself from that situation and becoming a homemaker has helped my anxiety tremendously. People I don't even know that well have come up to me and commented on how happy I look compared to before.

I'm not saying this is a solution for everyone. Some people can't afford to quit their jobs - but if you can, at least make it a point to take a vacation/time for yourself every quarter or so. This will help to give you time away from your anxiety triggers (if they are work related). Even if it isn't a work situation that triggers your anxiety, it is still important to find a way to remove yourself from your triggers every once in a while to balance yourself.

Good luck!

Removing yourself from the stressor can be a good thing because it will reduce your chronic stress. However, avoiding the situation is not always the best solution, a socially anxious person avoiding social situations, for example, would make the person feel safe but it would reinforce their anxiety.

Good post Eden I'm really happy removing yourself from your trigger has helped you feel better. I agree with shaun though, sometimes you cant remove the trigger, sometimes you have to confront it. From my own personal experience I know this works too.

In 2009 my mum suffered a stroke, it left her paralysed. I found her, she was on the floor in her house, and at first I thought she was dead. I already suffered anxiety at that point but the trauma and stress made it so much worse, and I developed a stroke fear. Mum was allowed home even though she's paralysed, primarily because she lives opposite me. I look after her now and I have to go across there several times a day. Opening that door triggered me every time for a long time, but I had no choice, I couldn't avoid it. It just battled through, I faced it and beat it. It took a long time before I didn't see her laid there on the floor every time I opened the door, but in time it did go away.