my2qts

Social Anxiety / Struggling in Physical Education class (Gym) @ School

My 13-year old, female, 8th grade child suffers from Social Anxiety, Anxiety, Personality Disorder w/OCD and Depressive Symptoms.   My daughter was diagnosed by our family PyD and the outside School Psychiatrist.   My daughter struggles the most with PE class.  She cannot participate in class in any capacity and sees her family PyD 1x a week.  Both the PyD and outside School Psychiatrist said in writing that she cannot participate in a classroom setting for PE, the family PyD supported our opinion that she should be in a class that encourages her and builds her confidence like a music class and her outside School Psychiatrist said the same thing or she could be in an 1-on-1 PE class without any other student in the gym at the same time as her.   Our school district in NYS does not have 1-on-1 PE classes and that would be hard to administer because the gym is always occupied by PE classes.   My question is with 18 million children & teens who suffer from anxiety issues in the US alone, my daughter can't be the first child to encounter this type of crippling disability and addressing it to her school and requesting specialized instruction/modification.   What could our school district do for my daughter in lieu of a traditional PE gym class, because they don't seem like they are prepared to deal with this type of disability or want to deal with it?   Or can you recommend a website or resource that might be helpful specifically addressing public school modifications/alternate accommodations/specialized instruction for PE (Physical Education/Gym class)?   Thank you in advance. 

I do not know the answer to your question. I agree that with so many kids with these types of situations going on it would seem like they could find a way to help all the students. I wonder if you could do something like have her exercise at home and sign off on it.  Maybe your doctor and you develop a plan and present it to the school saying that you verified she exercised for 40 minutes at night or whatever the length of the PE class is. I know it's reaching but it's just an idea.  Talk to the school and see if that is a thing they would be willing to accept. If she had  physical disability, they would not think twice about a request like yours.  

Tell her to hang in there. Tell her she's not alone. Tell her she's not ' different' from the other kids. Tell her she is wise because new research has shown that all of us with anxiety are of higher intelligence than the rest of the population. So if there is a difference it's that she is way smarter than all those other kids at school. :)

Hi. my2qts.

Tell her to hang in there. Tell her she's not alone. Tell her she's not ' different' from the other kids. Tell her she is wise because new research has shown that all of us with anxiety are of higher intelligence than the rest of the population. So if there is a difference it's that she is way smarter than all those other kids at school. :)

Now there is no way I could give better advice than that. I think it does all depend on her home life. If we rely on outside help we can be so disappointed. You can do so much more for her than outsiders because she trusts you and you love her. The idea that she is different in some way must be discouraged. She's not! But, as Joy says she may well be more intelligent. Anyway, I don't regard PE as being at the top of the priority list with kids. It's the old brain that needs the exercise; but that's a personal opinion.   Good luck.     Jon.

Thank you for the encouraging and kind posts.   My daughter's outside PyD did write a letter of recommendation to the school that my daughter should be recognized and get credit for the physical activities she takes part in at home as opposed to a PE class at school.   The response I got was snickering at first and then they responded that they don't listen to "outside Psychologists" and requested that my daughter take the following: Speech & Language Evaluation, Wechsler Individual Achievement Test (WIAT-III), Psychiatric (school appointed) Evaluation and a Psychological (school appointed) Evaluation.   I asked my daughter first if she wanted to do these things and explained what they were to the best of my ability and she agreed to do it.   The results came back this week and in short, the school appointed Psychiatrist diagnosed her with the same diagnosis as our Family PyD and the Psychiatrist suggested a one-on-one Physical Education class, which of course the school is unable to provide.     All the results from the evaluations and IQ tests show her in ranges from Average to Very High - with her FSIQ (Full Scale IQ) coming back with a score of 115 which relates to a High Average, meaning her overall thinking and reasoning abilities exceed those of approximately 84 out of 100 children her age nationally.   We already knew she would do fine on these evaluations - it's just the social anxiety and it's direct correlation with PE class that we were asking the school to address.  The responses I get from the school is like they have never encountered this type of situation before.  We come from a very large school district and I find that very hard to believe.   I reached out to NYS Education Department and asked what our school district could do in this situation and basically I was told (and I relayed this info to the school) that whatever orders the Doctor that my daughter sees prescribes that the school district wouldn't and shouldn't override it.   I have a meeting in 2 weeks with the school district to go over my daughters results and to "brainstorm" ideas as to what could be done in this situation.   I was hoping to find someone who has gone through the exact same thing and to see how it was handled.   Thank you for the encouragement!

Till 7 to 8 months back,i had the exactly same problem for at least 6 years but now im perfect.When u see people u get scared because ur mind starts thinking what the people r thinking about u,are u doing smthing wrong or akward etc.What u have to do is nothing but ONLY ONE THING THAT IS CONCENTRATE and when u concentrate on what im going to tell u,ur mind will get bound not to think what others think about u nd u will get a new perception.S ee pepole think and DO,man1 thinkingbad things about somone sitting on a chair and another man2 starts abusing the same person,that someone knows what man1 is thinking somthng bad about him,now to whome he will react?of course man2 cause he abused  that means hates more or is more angry on that someone see both men hates but absuing means more hate,now more feelings r important than less feelings ,u should focus on more feelings and more feelings will ALWAYS bring some DOING,now absuing is a kind of doimg,im saying that u should not focus on what others r thinking,the ONLY THING U SHOULD SEE IS WHAT THEY DO PHISICALY.If it helps you then PLEASE help others.

Recently I had difficulties with my studies. I suffer from a rare mental and behavioral disease, so sometimes I go through training at home and the teacher comes to me to explain the educational material. But the problem was with writing an essay and I visit the website to order an essay online. It turned out to be a very good solution for me.