Sign in to follow this  
deecee

Is Chronic Fatigue Medically Accepted These Days?

I had a friend who had this condition about 20 years ago. It was a terrible struggle for her, not only becuase of the condition itself, but beause most people and some doctors didn't recognize it as being real. Hopefully, this has changed.

Funny that you bring this up because I have researched CFS. Im not sure if its "medically accepted" but there is alot of information over the internet about it. I still wonder if Fibromyalgia is "medically accepted" also.

I haven't done any in-depth research on this subject, but I think it's more accepted as a medical condition now. I'm pretty sure doctors are leaning toward the notion that CFS is the lingering effect of some type of virus, which makes a lot of sense to me. Anyone who has ever had mononucleosis can tell you that fatigue is a major symptom, and it lasts long after the other symptoms of dissipated. It seems to me that there could be any number of viruses that can cause long-lasting fatigue. If I remember correctly from my college bio classes, since viruses are not "alive", they can't be killed (which is why we can only treat the symptoms of the common cold rather than curing it). Therefore when someone contracts any virus, it remains in his or her body for life (although, in many cases, it is rendered inactive by our immune systems). I think the medical community has more or less accepted that just because we don't have a name or can't identify a specific cause for something yet, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

• Like 1

Just this morning I read THIS ARTICLE about M.E from the most surprising of sources the Daily Mail. I think it is one of the clearest statements of the myths behind M.E I have read - I only hope they do the same with fibromyalgia.

My fried has just told me that her lovely daughter who is only twenty four has decided that she will never have children. It is such a battle for her to cope with ME and holding down a job, that she feels she would never be able to cope with a pregnancy too, let alone looking after a child.

It's so sad. She would make a lovely mother.

I know where she is coming from - if I had been like this (fibro not M.E but similar symptoms) before I had children I probably would not have had them. As it is they live with their dad because it is just too much of a struggle for me to do everything they should have, luckily me and my ex have a good relationship and the kids come first so they stay regularly and contact is whenever they want - still hurts like hell though.