Sign in to follow this  
ArrowHawk11

obsessed with numbers and patterns: is this ocd?

Hey guys,

I don't know if this is OCD, but I've always been obsessed with patterns and numbers. I'm not sure why but its always been like that. For an example, I take pictures of a certain patern I like and use it for insperation when I draw. Sometimes I see a pattern with in a pattern or a design with in a design if that makes sense at all. I know it may seem weird but I also see strange patterns in written text too. Can't really explain this one but when it comes to certain text, I can see patterns that make shapes or lines that criss cross eachother. Sometimes I take text and put it in a grid and find other hidden words. Its kind of like word search which is no doubt one of my favorite games lol. With these paterns, it really helps me with graphic design projects at college.

When it comes to numbers, thats a different story. It can be an earie coincidences or something I cant explain at all. Sometimes for no reason, random numbers pop into my mind with out even thinking. Random numbers such as 11, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 1 appear in a sequence. When I see 911, there is always an emergency. As with 113 0r 311 there is a natural disaster such as earthquakes or volcanic erruptions. Cant quite figure out the numbers 6, 7 and 8 though, they are still puzzling. Perhaps its because I'm a deep thinker and I think a lot about things. Even though I have been told that I have a learning disability, I've also been told that I have a mind of an engineer. Could all this have a relation to this stuff? Sometimes its annoying and hard to ignore but they always appear everywhere I go. Can't quite explain this one, any thoughts?

Hey arrow, I don't know if it's OCD, because I have a similar thing, and I don't know myself if it's OCD my therapist never mentioned it. You have an intricate brain, I think it's a good thing, a talent but we do have anxiety which can make us question it or worry why we think this way. I see patterns too, but a bit differently. When you watch a movie do you pick out the plot line early on? I often do. My husband is a story writer and he sees them, he said to me once that a story can only have so many possibilities and they follow patterns which as a writer he picks up on. Numbers also stick with me, I can remember every post code of every house I have lived in, and every phone number I have ever had. 

Ditto what Gill says. I'm a numbers junkie. I know all my utility accounts by memory as well as loads of phone numbers from 20 yrs ago and number patterns from forever ago, previous bank account numbers,etc etc.  Its irritating sometimes . I also have found I like words to be in certain number groups, 5 , 10, 15 and want them to end on multiple of 5. It's not near like it was when I was younger, but some days it pops up. 
I think we are all very wise compared to the rest of the population ( us, as in anxiety sufferers of any sort) and I think our brain is constantly looking for things to keep it busy, occupied, pacified, so when there is nothing serious to think on, we pull up some numbers to dwell on . 

glad to know im not the only one who does these things. Yeah, sometimes i do pick up the plot line of a movie really quickly. cant explain that but its a trait i have too. i think your right joycicle, when we have anxiety it must occupies our.minds with stuff like this to think.about. i guess in a way it helps us get over anxiety. However i remember that back in january 2011, i was constantly obsessed with the number 311 as well as 911. I couldnt stop thibking about them and saw the numbers e very where i went. It was driving me crazy really and ignoring itdidnt help. I had several haunting dreams about the numbers too and they were related to a disaster. After a while, i started to think it was my imagination and i was going crazy and wasnt expecting anything to happen. but that changed dramaticly when March 11, 2011 came along. That day happened to be 3/11/11 and there was a terrible earthquake that struck Japan fallowed by a deadly tsunami. I didnt know anything about it until my mother told me in .he afternoon. I remember feeling shocked and scared out of my witts. So since then it has haunted me ever since and i dont know if it was a coincidence or something i cant even explain.

I think that might be synchronicity arrow, I get it. A lot people without anxiety do, but add anxiety to it... it makes you think doo doo doo doo

glad to know im not the only one who does these things. Yeah, sometimes i do pick up the plot line of a movie really quickly. cant explain that but its a trait i have too. i think your right joycicle, when we have anxiety it must occupies our.minds with stuff like this to think.about. i guess in a way it helps us get over anxiety. However i remember that back in january 2011, i was constantly obsessed with the number 311 as well as 911. I couldnt stop thibking about them and saw the numbers e very where i went. It was driving me crazy really and ignoring itdidnt help. I had several haunting dreams about the numbers too and they were related to a disaster. After a while, i started to think it was my imagination and i was going crazy and wasnt expecting anything to happen. but that changed dramaticly when March 11, 2011 came along. That day happened to be 3/11/11 and there was a terrible earthquake that struck Japan fallowed by a deadly tsunami. I didnt know anything about it until my mother told me in .he afternoon. I remember feeling shocked and scared out of my witts. So since then it has haunted me ever since and i dont know if it was a coincidence or something i cant even explain.

Well it's very possible that if you checked worldwide news daily for disasters, you would see something horrible is happening somewhere every day........ you know what I mean? Tsunami here, earthquake there, factory fire over here, exploding gas well over there. So you might want to remind yourself that so it doesn't scare you so much. Yes, horrible things happen all over in this giant world full of billions of people so on any date 3-11 or 3-21 or 4-29.......and so on , something bad will happen somewhere ! 

yep, i understand. i try my best to not to watch the news because its very depressing but cant help it when you see big headlines on your email screen. must be a way to turn that off lol. Perhaps indeed they might be syncrisities and coincidences but you never know. I do belive in life after death but there are times i wander if its real or just in our heads.

I see 333, everywhere all the time. Its almost haunting, I wake up so often, look at the clock and its 333. Driving my car i glance at a license plate and see 333. Last week when i put gas in my truck and happend to glance at sign and gas is 3.33 cents a gallon...

I googled that number and apparently a lot of people are freaked out with this sequence of numbers. I think our minds sometimes just get stuck on a paticular thought/number, I been doing it with 333 since the 1980z. Google 333 and check it out, President Obama had 333 electoral votes to win...

whoah that is weird, i dont see 333 but i do see the number 33. 33 is divisible by 11. perhaps there are certain paterns of numbers people are connected to and are not aware of it.

That's interesting - you use it to help you design things.    It might be OCD?

Do you have any symptoms of dyslexia?  ( Reversing numbers / letters, spelling trouble, etc. )

I have OCD, including number obsessions, not uncommon.  It can be interesting, but be careful -

a number is just a number.  Don't let it become superstition or affect your life choices!

Hi, I have been strugling with ocd for years, but this one appeared recently, Ocd related to number of years and years of life related. For example, I 'll be 29 in a few days, and I will enter into 30th year of my life, so 29th year of my life will be rounded. So I have the felling if I do something wrong in the begining of 30th year of my life, that my whole decade of future life, related to 30s (31,32...39) will be a complete disaster. And if i make some important choice, i will have to repeat it in 40s, because those will be "clean" years. Or if I have the feeling that I was ''dirty or contaminated'' when entered 30s, all these years begining with number 3 will also be "dirty". I hope you understand even it sounds ridiculous....i know...sometimes i just think-why numbers and years even exist when they give us headaches? :)

Does anyone can help with some advice? English is not my native language and sorry if i made grammatical errors. 

I succesfully battled OCD with cbt and erp therapy, related to physical compulsions, but these mental compulsions are so hard to overcome, please some logical advice...

Greetings from southern Europe.