Gilly

Burning skin?

When my anxiety first got bad again I used to have this burning skin sensation every day, localised on my lower legs, it was horrible. Then one day it just went. I do get little flares of it every now and again but I haven't had it for ages. Then today I had a panic attack, it's been a while, just came out of the blue. It's passed but now I have patches of the burning skin sensation on my arms. I hate it. I know it's from wacky nerves but it sucks.

I've had that too! I had it worst when I first got anxiety and I remember my second trip to hospital laying on the bed and crying that my skin was on fire. They took my temp and stuff and then told me it was mental.. Its a horrible feeling :(

It is JJ, its horrible. I've had it all over before and its just so uncomfortable, like a horrible sunburn for no reason. The amount of times I googled 'burning skin sensations' and came across people with anxiety and stress that had it, its pretty common. But at the time it was so scary, and i'd say my skin is burning and get bizarre looks of people (in real life not on the internet of course lol)

I feel your anguish gilly I get it all the time but mine is localised to my hands arms shoulders back and neck never had it in my legs, although i can bet its almost as bad as restless legs or worse :( kick its ass and tell it to piss off xxxx

• Like 1

Some of the symptoms that you just described are exactly the same as mine. It is a weird sensation and is hard to explain. I think there is medication out there to help alleviate these panic attacks, but they do still come out of the blue from time to time.

That sounds awful, I'm really glad it isn't one of my symptoms. Does it last after the panic attack or just while you have it?

I get a kind of burning in my throat but that's just because breathing is so difficult, I think.

That sounds awful, I'm really glad it isn't one of my symptoms. Does it last after the panic attack or just while you have it?

I get a kind of burning in my throat but that's just because breathing is so difficult, I think.

I don't get it during a panic attack dawn, it comes after. I can also get it for days when I don't even think I'm anxious, but the symptom makes me feel anxious. I think that my body reacts to stress in a weird way, my doctor said the burning skin was stress and I have googled it no end and it does seem to be quite a common reaction. (hormones don't help, it often flares up at 'that time')

I've never had burining skin before, but I had numbness in my face. It's weird how panic affects everyone differently, yet people still share some similar experiences. Does this happen often, or is a once in a blue moon type of thing?

It varies panic. I've been getting it for over 3 years. At first it was just my legs and it would be every night. Then it kinda went away for a while and would just happen a couple days every few weeks. Then I started getting it again, this time it would be all over and would last a day or 2 then go away for a couple weeks. Now I only seem to get it every now and again and I talk myself through it, and it passes after a day or so. I always only ever get this when I'm at rest! evening/night time and if I get up and walk around it goes until I sit and relax for a little while.

That sounds like some scary stuff. I have heard of a lot of symptoms of panic, but this one is new for me. I wonder what can be the cause of this, and is there a way to treat it?

I believe its whacked out nerve signals or something like it. It is on the list of 100 symptoms of anxiety. As for treatment I was offered citalopram when it first started because the doc said it was anxiety/stress related. I didn't take them tho, most of the time I'm glad I didn't.

I've had panic attacks since I was little and for the past three years now I have been experiencing the elusive burning skin syndrome. My doctor tells me it is fibromyalgia brought on by chronic anxiety disorder. I've been given medication for it that seems to be helping. I was wondering though if anyone else gets sore throats more since the burning skin started. I keep going to to doctor because I think I have strep throat, but the tests are always negative. Perhaps this is just environmental, but the burning skin and throat stuff started around the same time. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed something like this?

Hi feri welcome to the forum! Yes I have had the throat burning too, I don't get it much anymore but when this all started I had it most days, I would suck on ice just to try and alleviate it. I had several months where my tongue burned too. I am going to query fibro when I next see my doctor because I have a lot of symptoms of it and just like you the burning started after a long bout of anxiety and stress. Plus the burning seems to come in waves now, I can go a few months with none then it just flares up and its horrible, I read fibro comes in flares. I also have had Crohns since I was a kid and so many people with Crohns go on to develop fibro.

My friend has this kind of mental sensational whenever she gets too stressed over something. She just would yell out that her hands were on fire. We really feel bad because we know that its not burning but then we can't do something about what she's feeling. She went into a psychologist and a psychiatrist for this, and both said that it was an advantage because she can predict when it will happen. What she's doing is that she soaks her hands in the water, this alleviates the sensation. She went into various hypnotism therapy for a while and somewhat it helped. The burning sensation still occurs now but in rare instances.

I have experienced the burning skin sensation in the past, it is horrible!. I remember I once felt it on my face when I was in the middle of a supermarket. It felt like sunburn on my cheek, like my skin was literally burning hot. It is caused by extreme stress on your central nervous system, the body reacts in strange ways.

I experienced the burning skin sensation during times when my panic attacks were out of control. Mine were mostly in my face and felt like a sunburn. I was sure my face was bright red but when I asked a friend was told it wasn't. It's not a fun feeling!

Ive been having this the past few days and it's awful. I've even been getting like a prickly feeling, almost like little droplets of fire are falling on my skin, and right now my face is burning and feels sunburnt :(

Did any of you find any answers in relation to what causes this symptom?

Going to the doctor tomorrow, although I'm terrified of what they will say.

Ive been having this the past few days and it's awful. I've even been getting like a prickly feeling, almost like little droplets of fire are falling on my skin, and right now my face is burning and feels sunburnt :(

Did any of you find any answers in relation to what causes this symptom?

Going to the doctor tomorrow, although I'm terrified of what they will say.

Over stimulated and hyper sensitive nerve endings IMHO

Unfortunately yes, I get this burning sensation too. I have felt it at my neck and down my back. But most often I get it along one side of my head, which feels awful, and can really send me into a "oh my God what's wrong with me" panic. I find it does pass if I can find a way to distract myself and ignore it. It helps to know that other people have experienced this too. 

Hi just came across this thread. I too get the sunburnt feeling. Gilly did you go to the GP about it? If so what did he or she say it was?

Hi just came across this thread. I too get the sunburnt feeling. Gilly did you go to the GP about it? If so what did he or she say it was?

Hi chellebelle, welcome to AC :)

I did go to my GP about it yes, many times! They just said stress, I had neuro exams and strength tests, took 2 of those to convince me I was ok. It's hard to believe what it can do to our bodies, but in hindsight I can see it. My anxiety had gone untreated far too long and I had an accumulation of stress, you don't think small things can cause so much but it can build up and boom.

I'm glad you found us, there is a lot of good posts in this thread here about burning too

Give it a read, hope it helps!!

Hi there! Just found this thread and I have a couple questions

So this really weird thing happened to me about 10 days ago. I woke up in the morning with about 5 big patches on my right thigh that were slightly reddish in colour. I showed my mom and we didn't really think anything of it. A couple of hours into the day, the patches had raised and were turning into second degree burns. They felt like they were burning, and it took 4 tylenol to get on top of the pain. A few days later they began to blister, and they started peeling between yesterday and today. 

Last night I found another light red burn patch on my right wrist, and it doesn't seem as intense. I have bad anxiety and just came out of a bad month of exams on top of other issues. Because of the burning sensation associated with anxiety, I was wondering could this be an acute physical manifestation? Any ideas? 

On 4/30/2012 at 3:46 PM, Gilly said:

I believe its whacked out nerve signals or something like it. It is on the list of 100 symptoms of anxiety. As for treatment I was offered citalopram when it first started because the doc said it was anxiety/stress related. I didn't take them tho, most of the time I'm glad I didn't.

Hi Gilly,

How long can the burning last? Its been almost a week?