adamden

Is my Anxiety Truly Causing all these Symptoms?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Gotcha! That makes sense... On my end I just wanted to do it out of curiosity and hypochondria 😬

Understand that too. All these tests are not because I’m being hypochondriac, I actually need these done LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please forgive me if I am sounding idiotic in posting this, but I'm just trying to satisfy my curious, hypochondriac mind right now LOL.

I was having a bowl of ramen for dinner (I know, healthy, right? College problems. Haha). I was concerned that I burned my tongue or something, because I can't ever seem to get ramen to cool down fully, but my tongue does not feel hot and it isn't numb or anything like that.

Am I right in saying you can't actually suffer like "burns" to your tongue or throat? I just wanna make sure I don't misspeak on anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here goes my stupid hypochondriac mind again.

So as I mentioned earlier in this forum, I still, even though I just turned 18, am battling some spotty acne. 

I was just at my haircut, and while my stylist was working on me, his comb nicked one of my acne bumps on my forehead and made it bleed. He took one of his cloths that he uses and pressed down on the bleeding to get it to stop.

Should I be concerned about stuff getting in it? I’m just really not sure why I’m fretting about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys! I'm in full blown panic mode right now, and I could use some help.

This morning when I woke up, I noticed a huge black splotch on my left foot, which turned out to be a scab after my mom looked at it. Not sure how long it had been there for, but it really concerned me. As soon as I knew it was a scab, I washed it off with soap and water. The scab came right off whenever I put the water on it (because my water pressure in my shower is a lot), and then I soaped it off without the scab on it.

When I came out to get Neosporin and a bandaid, I showed my dad and he said it looked fine, but I'm still scared that I left it untreated for too long and that it is going to get infected.

How do I know that this won't happen? Because I'm really scared right now, and I'm afraid it's going to get infected :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bin_tenn said:

Nope. You're fine. Let it heal.

That's reassuring. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It takes more than a few hours for a wound to heal. Give it several days, if not longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bin_tenn said:

It takes more than a few hours for a wound to heal. Give it several days, if not longer.

Which I suspected, I just was wondering if it was like... beginning it’s healing process LOL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another fear has popped up today, and I’m really scared about this one.

Usually I have a bowel moment every other day, but it’s now Friday and I still have not had a bowel movement since Monday. I’m afraid I have a bowel obstruction and I’m really scared because I know how dangerous those can be.

How do I know that I don’t have that? I’m really scared guys.

EDIT: The last bowel movement may have actually happened on Tuesday, but I’m not 100% sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, adamden said:

Another fear has popped up today, and I’m really scared about this one.

Usually I have a bowel moment every other day, but it’s now Friday and I still have not had a bowel movement since Monday. I’m afraid I have a bowel obstruction and I’m really scared because I know how dangerous those can be.

How do I know that I don’t have that? I’m really scared guys.

EDIT: The last bowel movement may have actually happened on Tuesday, but I’m not 100% sure. 

You're searching for things to worry about. Once you stop searching, you also stop finding... :D The body varies day to day. Everything from physical functions (e.g. bowel movements) to the lower level internals. Blood work, for example, varies by day. Sometimes you may have a reading that is slightly out of range (any of the things checked during a CBC or whatever else), and the next day it will be normal. It happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bin_tenn said:

You're searching for things to worry about. Once you stop searching, you also stop finding... :D The body varies day to day. Everything from physical functions (e.g. bowel movements) to the lower level internals. Blood work, for example, varies by day. Sometimes you may have a reading that is slightly out of range (any of the things checked during a CBC or whatever else), and the next day it will be normal. It happens.

Which I unfortunately have not gotten good at yet. It’s tough, because it’s just my way of self-reassurance and making sure there is nothing wrong with my body. I’m hoping everything returns to normal soon, and I’ll have my BM today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, adamden said:

Which I unfortunately have not gotten good at yet. It’s tough, because it’s just my way of self-reassurance and making sure there is nothing wrong with my body. I’m hoping everything returns to normal soon, and I’ll have my BM today

Rather than hoping to have a BM, I highly recommend practicing acceptance. Accept that the body will do what it needs to do, when it needs to be done. "You" don't dictate when things need done, the body's natural functions do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bin_tenn said:

Rather than hoping to have a BM, I highly recommend practicing acceptance. Accept that the body will do what it needs to do, when it needs to be done. "You" don't dictate when things need done, the body's natural functions do.

True. I’ll try working on that today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried therapy? There are tools they can teach you to reframe your thinking and rationalize things you’re worried about. You have to get yourself out of this obsessive pattern of over analyzing everything going on day to day and hour to hour. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Iugrad91 said:

Have you tried therapy? There are tools they can teach you to reframe your thinking and rationalize things you’re worried about. You have to get yourself out of this obsessive pattern of over analyzing everything going on day to day and hour to hour. 

 

I’m currently in CBT treatment. Still working through all the kinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to ask a quick curiosity question to you all. It's not possible to still have a bowel obstruction after a bowel movement, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, adamden said:

I want to ask a quick curiosity question to you all. It's not possible to still have a bowel obstruction after a bowel movement, correct?

Anything is possible, including the fact that you're still searching for something to worry about. :) This is why acceptance is key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, bin_tenn said:

Anything is possible, including the fact that you're still searching for something to worry about. :) This is why acceptance is key.

That’s reassuring and not reassuring at the same time. LOL. Then again, I get triggered by the littlest things.

Don’t you worry, I’m still practicing it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I don't want to have to keep throwing things at you guys, but I just can't seem to think these things through without having some fear or "what if" thought popping into the back of my mind.

As I explained on another anxiety forum, while my family and I were out and about on vacation one day, we picked up Starbucks drinks (but nothing for me as I have found out that caffeine makes my anxiety symptoms worse). My mom asked me if I wanted to try a sip of this new drink she got, which I said yes to, and tried one sip. I’ve done that all the time when she asks if I want to try something, as obviously, she’s my mother and we’ve done that since I was a baby. My mom wasn't sick, none of my family has been.

The following morning though, when watching TV, a commercial about meningitis B played across the screen, and how adolescents should get vaccinated against it, especially if they are going off to college and things like that. Obviously, this sent my mind spiraling. What if I contracted meningitis B from drinking my mom’s drink yesterday? Am I gonna experience the fatal symptoms of it?

I got over the fear of that eventually once I learned the ways that meningitis were contracted, but today, the fear popped back up when my mom brought home pizza from a Father's Day party she was at with one of the sides of my family (my grandma married into a family with eight grandkids). I feel so bad for even thinking this way, but that part of the family has had troubles with almost everything in terms of relationships and things like that, but nothing health related as far as I know. For some reason, the fear of my mom bringing home that pizza from the party came up, because my mind said, "what if they spit on it? what if any of them had meningitis? what if they are carriers of the bacteria and we don't know that?"

Again, I feel SUPER bad for even thinking this way, because they are my family and I shouldn't even be thinking that way, but unfortunately, that's my reality right now. I've eaten meals with those grandkids over the years and I trust my grandma with ALL my heart to make sure everything was sanitary and good to go. She's really good about that. Somebody please tell me I'm being an idiot for thinking this way and that's there's no way I can get meningitis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.