adamden

Is my Anxiety Truly Causing all these Symptoms?

7 minutes ago, bin_tenn said:

Caffeine can exacerbate anxiety, as it's a stimulant. If it's causing problems for you, I certainly recommend cutting back / eliminating caffeine, if it'll help. I used to consume caffeine regularly, in fairly large amounts. I cut way back and my overall anxiousness has significantly improved. It can still send me into a panic if I consume too much in a given day. I took time to recognize my limits, and now I can pretty much always cut myself off before it causes these issues.

Good for you identifying things that may be increasing your anxiety, as well as taking steps to reduce / eliminate those factors. Dietary changes are quite often a relief for anxiety sufferers, myself included. I cut back not only on caffeine, but also sugar and processed foods.

I had a feeling it had the capability to exacerbate my anxiety symptoms, but I felt that since I was so used to already drinking coffee and caffeine, it wouldn’t be too much of a factor for me, but boy was I dead wrong about that LOL.

I’m gonna go ahead and just eliminate caffeine again until I know for sure that my anxiety has been controlled further.

When I consumed a lot of caffeine regularly, I had no issues until about 2013 or 2014. And suddenly it seemed to cause feelings of panic. Haha. It sucks, I know.

20 minutes ago, bin_tenn said:

When I consumed a lot of caffeine regularly, I had no issues until about 2013 or 2014. And suddenly it seemed to cause feelings of panic. Haha. It sucks, I know.

Yeah, that’s super weird.

Sorry, another thing I’d like to add to this forum that I’d like some responses on. So I don’t think I mentioned it earlier, but I’m in a wheelchair. I have the ability to transfer in and out of my chair to things like my bed, my car, etc.

Recently, I scraped the back of my left foot on my footplate whenever I was transferring in and out of my bed, but treated it pretty quick and it’s healing up just fine. But, I did it again this morning (I assume when I woke up the second time), this time on my left heel of my left foot. I don’t know how long it had been there prior to me noticing it, but as soon as I noticed it, I washed it clean with soap and warm water, put some Neosporin on it, and then a Band Aid.

Does anyone know how long is too long for a cut/scrape to be left untreated? I just wanna make sure if I did accidentally leave it untouched for a little bit before noticing it, that I do anything I can to prevent an infection. Thanks!

Unless you're at high risk for infection, you're fine, IMO. I never do anything for cuts / scrapes, personally, unless it's caused by an object that is very dirty or whatever. Otherwise, I don't touch them, they heal on their own.

1 hour ago, bin_tenn said:

Unless you're at high risk for infection, you're fine, IMO. I never do anything for cuts / scrapes, personally, unless it's caused by an object that is very dirty or whatever. Otherwise, I don't touch them, they heal on their own.

Yeah, not at high risk for infection, but I still covered and cleaned it anyways LOL. I’m not a super tough guy, not gonna lie haha

Gonna continue with the questions, and I apologize if some of these sound repetitive, but I’m just double checking. I’ve been drinking water periodically throughout the day, and my urges to urinate have been normally spaced out in terms of the timing of them, but my actual urine output has been low the last two times I’ve had urges. Would this mean anything?

What it means is you are definitely over analyzing every sensation and function you are having. You have to change the questioning of everything you do and feel. Scream NO at your anxiety when it asks “what if this means something” or “why is this happening” or “why is this not happening”. When you’re satisfied with one answer you move onto something else. This is why reassurance does NOT work with health anxiety. You may feel good temporarily but then other anxieties pop up and you need more reassurance. It’s a cycle you need to break. Therapy can help you learn how if you’re willing.

13 minutes ago, Iugrad91 said:

What it means is you are definitely over analyzing every sensation and function you are having. You have to change the questioning of everything you do and feel. Scream NO at your anxiety when it asks “what if this means something” or “why is this happening” or “why is this not happening”. When you’re satisfied with one answer you move onto something else. This is why reassurance does NOT work with health anxiety. You may feel good temporarily but then other anxieties pop up and you need more reassurance. It’s a cycle you need to break. Therapy can help you learn how if you’re willing.

And that’s one of the things that I’m working on right now in CBT, and I promise I’ll get better at it eventually LOL. Thank you for your advice!

3 hours ago, adamden said:

Yeah, not at high risk for infection, but I still covered and cleaned it anyways LOL. I’m not a super tough guy, not gonna lie haha

Haha, nothing wrong with that. I'm not a macho tough guy myself, but everyone is a little different regardless.

Welp..... I feel like a total idiot this morning.

So I’m still battling some acne (which I thought I got over a year ago LOL), but unfortunately, it still lingered. I had a Whitehead pop up on my nose (literally on top of my nose), so obviously, out of instinct, I popped it so that I could clear it.

Of course, my mind started racing. I remembered an article I read two years ago (no joke) about popping pimples in the “danger triangle” and how it could cause an infection with very lasting effects.

Soooooo..... I immediately washed it with soap, let the soap sit on my nose for a few minutes, and then cleaned it off, just to make sure I don’t get an infection.

Can someone tell me that I’m worrying too much please? LOL

Alright.... I could really use some pick-me-up right now. I’m struggling... not even 12:00pm here and I’m already having a very rough day.

For starters, my urination has been frequent again, I’ve needed to go like once every hour, and it’s been a lot coming out. A little bit leaked out before I made it to the toilet one of the times too.

I also had caffeine this morning in the form of a Starbucks refresher, and I’m starting to wonder if the caffeine is dumbing down the effectiveness of my Prozac, which I took this morning. I thought I was going to take a break from the caffeine, but my mom ended up getting me the drink anyways, and I wasn’t about to let it go to waste and make her feel bad for spending that money for nothing.

But the fears of the danger triangle have preoccupied my mind ALL morning, and I can’t get it out of my mind. I succumbed to reading about it again before I drove back home from my physical therapy appointment, and I had a bout of incontinence as a result of my panic. I jumped in the shower after, and washed off everywhere, including my nose where the pimple was (for the second time today just because I’m so concerned about it). Infection worries also are plaguing my mind.

I just feel like I’m stuck in a bad situation guys. I want to believe that this is my anxiety, but I’m also doubting myself once again, and thinking that there is something going on. But I’m also feeling stuck because my parents just feel horrible and frustrated about the fact that these things continue to happen, and I’m afraid to tell them that I googled stuff again, but I’m going to say it anyways.

My mom continues to say she’s not frustrated at me, but at the situation, but I can’t help but feel horrible when she exhibits her frustration because of the way I feel. She also doesn’t believe that caffeine is contributing to my anxiety, and every time I tell her it is, she still doesn’t believe so, and she’s being stoic about it.

Please help me out guys, I’m really sad. I’m really angry. I’m really tired of this. Just so done man..... :(

Things sort of got better today, but I still don't totally feel like myself, and I am having some new symptoms that I haven't felt before, which include random tingling episodes in my right hand and persistent muscle twitches in both of my legs. Anyone else have these things happen?

38 minutes ago, adamden said:

Things sort of got better today, but I still don't totally feel like myself, and I am having some new symptoms that I haven't felt before, which include random tingling episodes in my right hand and persistent muscle twitches in both of my legs. Anyone else have these things happen?

Still nothing abnormal going on, IMO. Aches, pains, twitches, numbness, tingling, blurred vision and other vision disturbances, brain fog, memory lapses, crippling fear, chest pain, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, weakness - a small portion of the symptoms anxiety can create, and I've experienced all of those, many times.

Numbness / tingling are often the result of nerve issues, such as a compressed nerve and / or nerve injury. Twitching is usually caused by overuse of the muscle, which is surprisingly simple to do.

10 hours ago, bin_tenn said:

Still nothing abnormal going on, IMO. Aches, pains, twitches, numbness, tingling, blurred vision and other vision disturbances, brain fog, memory lapses, crippling fear, chest pain, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, weakness - a small portion of the symptoms anxiety can create, and I've experienced all of those, many times.

Numbness / tingling are often the result of nerve issues, such as a compressed nerve and / or nerve injury. Twitching is usually caused by overuse of the muscle, which is surprisingly simple to do.

Thanks again for this. It's still very hard for me to grasp onto the fact that anxiety is truly causing all of these symptoms for me, especially with how rough yesterday was. 

2 hours ago, adamden said:

Thanks again for this. It's still very hard for me to grasp onto the fact that anxiety is truly causing all of these symptoms for me, especially with how rough yesterday was. 

I think I mentioned previously in this thread (maybe not) that it doesn't necessarily need to be caused by anxiety. The problem isn't the fact that you're experiencing these symptoms, the problem is anxiety. And how anxiety causes you to react to those symptoms. Most people don't think twice about this stuff.

• Like 1

Already having a rough day again.... experienced another bout of urine incontinence before I was about to head to my CBT appointment, and had to clean off quick, because I was already running late.

I’m still not understanding the pattern of this incontinence, and I’m trying to figure it out. Anyone have any ideas?

Talk to your doc about it. If they say it's fine, it's fine. Could just be anxiety causing you to overreact - happens to me often. 😛

4 minutes ago, bin_tenn said:

Talk to your doc about it. If they say it's fine, it's fine. Could just be anxiety causing you to overreact - happens to me often. 😛

By doc, do you mean my CBT person or primary care doc?

3 hours ago, adamden said:

By doc, do you mean my CBT person or primary care doc?

In the case of incontinence or other physical symptoms, your primary doc would be the one to talk to.

Today got sort of better again. Haven’t really been anxious at all today, but I’ve been cognizant about my bowel movements. I usually have one every other day, but so far, I haven’t gone yet today and I can tell I need to, it just isn’t coming. 

I’m guessing I shouldn’t be worried at all?

Hey everyone! Back to this thread again with a couple of curiosity questions.

First up, I knew I slept terribly last night LOL. I woke up twice during the night with a stiff neck and a really bad headache. As soon as I got out of the position/posture that I was in, the symptoms just went away quickly. I think I’m still feeling the after effects of it though, because the left side of my neck feels like it has a knot in it, and parts of my head, neck, and shoulder feel tight. Could it be my anxiety exacerbating these symptoms?

Secondly, I wanted to bring up that I will be having multiple tests done on June 24/25th for my annual checkup. The tests are, bloodwork, EKG, pulmonary study, CT scan, etc. Anything you guys recommend for me to get prepared for those to calm my anxiety-wise?

1 hour ago, adamden said:

Hey everyone! Back to this thread again with a couple of curiosity questions.

First up, I knew I slept terribly last night LOL. I woke up twice during the night with a stiff neck and a really bad headache. As soon as I got out of the position/posture that I was in, the symptoms just went away quickly. I think I’m still feeling the after effects of it though, because the left side of my neck feels like it has a knot in it, and parts of my head, neck, and shoulder feel tight. Could it be my anxiety exacerbating these symptoms?

Secondly, I wanted to bring up that I will be having multiple tests done on June 24/25th for my annual checkup. The tests are, bloodwork, EKG, pulmonary study, CT scan, etc. Anything you guys recommend for me to get prepared for those to calm my anxiety-wise?

Anxiety usually always causes you to be tense so it doesn’t surprise me that you experienced that last night. I had very similar stuff happen to me when I was anxious, and even a few months after I calmed down, since our bodies stay in a primed state for a while... 

Try meditation a couple of times a day for 15-20 min each time. It helps calm your body down faster.

As for the CT, make sure you really need it. I wanted one of my heart since I have high cholesterol and was curious about plaque build up, but my doctor advised me against it since it’s very high radiation (equivalent to 50 or so Xrays). 

44 minutes ago, Alex said:

Anxiety usually always causes you to be tense so it doesn’t surprise me that you experienced that last night. I had very similar stuff happen to me when I was anxious, and even a few months after I calmed down, since our bodies stay in a primed state for a while... 

Try meditation a couple of times a day for 15-20 min each time. It helps calm your body down faster.

As for the CT, make sure you really need it. I wanted one of my heart since I have high cholesterol and was curious about plaque build up, but my doctor advised me against it since it’s very high radiation (equivalent to 50 or so Xrays). 

Well unfortunately, I really do need the CT lol. I have two rods in my back due to spinal stabilization surgery, and they need to keep checking on the progress of the rods and bone fusion. So nothing I can do about that LOL. These are all tests that are required in my annual checkup.

but thank you for your reply!

4 minutes ago, adamden said:

Well unfortunately, I really do need the CT lol. I have two rods in my back due to spinal stabilization surgery, and they need to keep checking on the progress of the rods and bone fusion. So nothing I can do about that LOL. These are all tests that are required in my annual checkup.

but thank you for your reply!

Gotcha! That makes sense... On my end I just wanted to do it out of curiosity and hypochondria 😬