adamden

Is my Anxiety Truly Causing all these Symptoms?

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. I’m new to this forum, so bear with me if I make any mistakes LOL. I’m a male who just turned 18 last month, and have been suffering from health anxiety for the last two and a half months now. I’ve gone through a lot of stress of thinking I have multiple different conditions, like a heart attack, stroke, MS, etc., but over the course of these last two and a half months, doctors and emergency room nurse practictioners have told me I am healthy. I even had a urine test done whenever I went to the ER, which came back all clear. I’ve also been prescribed a low 10mg dose of Prozac, and am currently in a CBT program.

Just recently (yesterday, May 23rd to be exact), I experienced a lot of different symptoms related to my health anxiety and urination, which included frequent urination, genital irritation, and one bout of incontinence at a high point of stress during the day. The frequent urination and incontinence has been something I’ve dealt with since this began, so I’m not concerned about that, but the genital irritation has started to concern me.

This genital irritation has happened once before, but it was quickly resolved when I took care of it with moisturizers and soap. When it started again yesterday, I did the same exact thing, which took care of it in the short term, but it rose back up again when I woke up this morning, even after moisturizing it again. Whenever I have gone to the restroom, it does not burn while I’m going, but does shortly after.

(Side note as well if any of you would like to answer this), I also was able to have a bowel movement yesterday, which was healthy, but my gas is really foul-smelling this morning and I’m not sure if that would have any relation to a UTI. My stomach has also suffered from this health anxiety, not necessarily IBS and definitely not diarrhea, but my bowels have become softer. If any of you know if this caused by anxiety too or can answer that question, I’d appreciate it.

I just want y’all’s opinion on if this can truly all be traced back to my health anxiety, and if you all have any tips on how to control and reduce my urination and stomach symptoms because of this anxiety. I still live with my parents, and I continue to voice all of my concerns with them, so I’m not hiding anything from them in this instance. I just felt it was time to connect with people who have experienced what I’m going through right now, because it’s harder for them to relate to what I’m going through whenever I tell them these things. Thank you all very much! God bless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anxiety raises hell throughout the body and mind. GI disturbances, itching, aches and pains, twitching, trembling, sweating, unable to focus, loss of concentration, brain fog, memory lapses, general worry - just a fraction of all the things possible with anxiety. Of course, I'm not a medical professional and any new symptoms should be checked out by your doctor, but I know that anxiety can certainly cause the things you've mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bin_tenn said:

Anxiety raises hell throughout the body and mind. GI disturbances, itching, aches and pains, twitching, trembling, sweating, unable to focus, loss of concentration, brain fog, memory lapses, general worry - just a fraction of all the things possible with anxiety. Of course, I'm not a medical professional and any new symptoms should be checked out by your doctor, but I know that anxiety can certainly cause the things you've mentioned.

Everything you’ve listed here are things that I’ve experienced all in this short term bout of health anxiety. I’ve voiced all these concerns about these last couple of days with my parents, and they believe these are all normal body things happening as a result of my anxiety and everything else that has happened physically. I do not feel truly sick, so we both believe now isn’t the time to go to the doctor, unless it starts to burn while I’m peeing. Thank you for your response!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also should mention, I had bloodwork done in January and then in June 2018, and everything was within normal ranges. This health anxiety began in March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE: Today has been a little bit better so far, the urination has been less frequent (frequent for me is twice per hour or once every two hours), so the fact that I went for the first time in three hours just now was a huge success. (Celebrate the little things, right? LOL). But the genital irritation has persisted, and I will admit, I’ve been a little bit focused on it today. When I went to the restroom just now, I could still feel the irritation, but it didn’t feel like the burning that I know is associated with a UTI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another quick question for any of you that can help me answer this. Is there a way to confirm that I don’t have a UTI based on the outside appearance of my genitals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never heard of being able to tell if someone has a UTI from genitals. Mostly in my experience it's mostly a stinging in the urethra or a feeling that you aren't done peeing even after you finished. I haven't had one in years but they're usually short lived. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, AbeLinkedIn said:

I've never heard of being able to tell if someone has a UTI from genitals. Mostly in my experience it's mostly a stinging in the urethra or a feeling that you aren't done peeing even after you finished. I haven't had one in years but they're usually short lived. 

That's no problem! Just thought I would ask out of total curiosity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE #2: Went to the restroom again, no burning while peeing, still getting that irritated feeling though. Checked my urine color, and it looks normal (more on the whiter side than yellow because all I've been drinking today is water LOL). The irritation still is pissing me off LOL, but hopefully it'll subside soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE #3: Had a panic attack about 30 minutes ago, because when I went to the restroom again, I couldn’t tell if I was having irritation or if my pee was burning. Really scared me, and I was in tears after my panic attack. I hate having to keep going down this road, it really sucks :(.

My pee still looked good, wasn’t cloudy or anything, and more on the whiter side than yellow. But my mind is still convinced I have a UTI, because my irritation is persisting. Any tips on how to control my worries about this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to worry about a UTI. They're extremely common. More so in females, but it's also not unheard of for males. I had a UTI in 2015, and do you want to know how I knew? Because the urinalysis I had done at my physical said so. I had zero symptoms. No abnormal urge, no change in color, no burning/discomfort, etc. I was taken entirely by surprise when the doc told me. Haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bin_tenn said:

No need to worry about a UTI. They're extremely common. More so in females, but it's also not unheard of for males. I had a UTI in 2015, and do you want to know how I knew? Because the urinalysis I had done at my physical said so. I had zero symptoms. No abnormal urge, no change in color, no burning/discomfort, etc. I was taken entirely by surprise when the doc told me. Haha.

Interesting. You’re the first person I’ve ever heard have no symptoms of it, but just.... well.... have it. LOL.

Thank you for your reassurance. I hope tomorrow will be better :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your anxiety could absolutely be causing all of this.  Is it?  IDK, I'm not a psychic.  But it sounds like you've had every other possibility studied in depth.  If you think you have a UTI, call your doctor and ask for a cup to pee in.  But is it possible that it's anxiety, yes.  I've had your exact symptoms (not burning while urinating, but burning afterwards) and had urine tests come back negative.  I don't know if it's anxiety or bladder irritation caused by something else.  But whatever causes it isn't a UTI for me.  I'd love to know why so I can possibly treat it or avoid what causes it, but at the moment it's a big ? for me.  However it usually goes away in a few days, hopefully that's what will happen for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mollyfin said:

Your anxiety could absolutely be causing all of this.  Is it?  IDK, I'm not a psychic.  But it sounds like you've had every other possibility studied in depth.  If you think you have a UTI, call your doctor and ask for a cup to pee in.  But is it possible that it's anxiety, yes.  I've had your exact symptoms (not burning while urinating, but burning afterwards) and had urine tests come back negative.  I don't know if it's anxiety or bladder irritation caused by something else.  But whatever causes it isn't a UTI for me.  I'd love to know why so I can possibly treat it or avoid what causes it, but at the moment it's a big ? for me.  However it usually goes away in a few days, hopefully that's what will happen for you.

Thank you very much as well for your reassurance. I just woke up this morning with no genital irritation, used the restroom, and didn’t have any sort of symptoms related to the irritation or to the UTI, so I think everything is good to go, thank goodness LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can buy UTI testing strips at the pharmacy. Also, if you’ve “used” your equipment a bit much, or roughly, it can cause urethral irritation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bobnnat said:

You can buy UTI testing strips at the pharmacy. Also, if you’ve “used” your equipment a bit much, or roughly, it can cause urethral irritation.

Not quite sure what you mean by equipment, but I think I get the gist of this. I’ll wait on buying those strips, because I don’t think I need them at the moment if I’m not feeling the symptoms this morning. Thank you for your comment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE #4: So it seems like that my body has moved on from all of the UTI and other genital symptoms, but now, I’m having just random aches and discomforts in different areas of my body, mostly my neck and arms, and my right pectoral muscles. I don’t believe I slept wrong last night, so I’m assuming these are just being created by my mind. Anyone have any way of calming these thoughts down to reduce the physical symptoms? Just curious....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, adamden said:

UPDATE #4: So it seems like that my body has moved on from all of the UTI and other genital symptoms, but now, I’m having just random aches and discomforts in different areas of my body, mostly my neck and arms, and my right pectoral muscles. I don’t believe I slept wrong last night, so I’m assuming these are just being created by my mind. Anyone have any way of calming these thoughts down to reduce the physical symptoms? Just curious....

Sometimes the symptoms are very real. The symptoms often aren't the problem though - the response to the symptoms (e.g. irrational fear/anxiety) is the real problem. I can tell you I absolutely experience various aches in pains, all over my body. The trick to moving past the anxiety is to learn about and practice acceptance and mindfulness. I highly recommend researching those things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bin_tenn said:

Sometimes the symptoms are very real. The symptoms often aren't the problem though - the response to the symptoms (e.g. irrational fear/anxiety) is the real problem. I can tell you I absolutely experience various aches in pains, all over my body. The trick to moving past the anxiety is to learn about and practice acceptance and mindfulness. I highly recommend researching those things.

I will definitely look into those, thank you! Thanks again for continuing to help reassure me through all this too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey again everyone, back to this feed for a moment, as I have another question that I hope you all may have an answer to.

Just about a few hours ago, I had an episode of incontinence. It probably took me about a good 30-40 minutes to notice that it had happened, but once I did notice it, I went straight back to my shower, washed off, and changed out of those clothes. 

Unforunately, because of the time it took me to notice, I think it caused me to have genital irritation pop back up again. I soaped it down and moisturized it too. But now my mind is concerned about a UTI again.

i just would like to know if anyone knows if this sort of incontinence can cause a UTI, or what I should be watching out for. Thanks again everyone and God bless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it can cause a UTI, but it can be caused by a UTI.  Might be worth checking out.  They're not dangerous in most healthy people, but the do need to be treated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mollyfin said:

I don't think it can cause a UTI, but it can be caused by a UTI.  Might be worth checking out.  They're not dangerous in most healthy people, but the do need to be treated.

The thing is, incontinence has been a persistent issue for me since this anxiety started, so I’m assuming that that was why it happened. I’ve been more anxious than normal today, despite having my medication. Not really sure why. But I will definitely be keeping a watchful eye on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mollyfin said:

I don't think it can cause a UTI, but it can be caused by a UTI.  Might be worth checking out.  They're not dangerous in most healthy people, but the do need to be treated.

I should also mention, I still am not showing any other symptoms of a UTI at the moment (no cloudy urine, no blood in urine, etc.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I think I have found a common denominator for myself being more anxious than normal these past two-three days, and that is caffeine. Usually, everyday, I drink one cup of coffee (either a glass size at home, or a tall from Starbucks). I took a break from caffeine at one point in time around two weeks ago, stretching into late last week, and I started again on Saturday. Of course, these last two days I’ve had increased worry and increased physical symptoms, so I’m thinking I’m gonna stop caffeine again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caffeine can exacerbate anxiety, as it's a stimulant. If it's causing problems for you, I certainly recommend cutting back / eliminating caffeine, if it'll help. I used to consume caffeine regularly, in fairly large amounts. I cut way back and my overall anxiousness has significantly improved. It can still send me into a panic if I consume too much in a given day. I took time to recognize my limits, and now I can pretty much always cut myself off before it causes these issues.

Good for you identifying things that may be increasing your anxiety, as well as taking steps to reduce / eliminate those factors. Dietary changes are quite often a relief for anxiety sufferers, myself included. I cut back not only on caffeine, but also sugar and processed foods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.