Sign in to follow this  
AbeLinkedIn

Did I just overdose?

So I am prescribed 1 mg of alprazolam twice daily 12 hours apart, so once in the morning and at night. This morning I thought I had forgotten to take my morning dose and took one about 20 minutes ago. However part of me remembers taking one close to when I got up but I had other parts of my morning routine that might have gotten mixed up and I'm second guessing if I took one too many or not. 

A medicine like this I know is nothing to play with so I get very anxious with regards to it and potentially overdosing. I weigh 255 lbs and I looked up the lethal dosage as over 90 grams and it takes a thousand mg to make a gram, so part of me wants to say I'm safe but another says I'm not. 

I would call the pharmacy or your doctor if you can’t talk to the pharmacist. They are best equipped to handle these questions and may tell you to skip the next dose or something like that. But only they can tell you what you should do. 

And if you still have the instructions from the pharmacy (my prescriptions come with a foldout pamphlet with lots of info on dosing and side effects) it may say on there what to do if you take an extra dose or skip a dose. 

I agree with consulting with your pharmacist or doctor, but generally speaking, I think (I'm not actually qualified, however) most meds at a low dose being accidentally doubled up once in a while will likely not yield any adverse effects. Not short term, not long term. People mistakenly take meds twice all the time without adverse effects. I've personally done it with my beta blocker once or twice and didn't have any issues.

• Like 1

I'm inclined to agree Bin. I feel fine now, just panicked and second-guessing. I'm going to the store later to get one of those weekly medicine organizers to prevent this mishap again. 

Good idea. My doc suggested using one of those if I felt the need to. I didn't buy one, but I've done other things to ensure I take my meds properly.