Hi Everyone,

My name is David and I am new here.

I am really struggling at the moment. Here is why.

It all started in November last year when I got tonsilitis, I had quinsy about 2 years back and this was the first issue I had since, anyway got over that with a course of antibiotics. I n December I got the worst gastric bug I have ever had and it wiped me out for a fortnight. On New Years eve, I developed a fever and got tonsilitis again...antibiotics again sorted me out. Then I got a bad cold.

The reason I listed all of this is as follows. In February, I started getting a tingling/buzzing sensation in mmy temples and down both sides of my face, and in my left leg. I called the NHS direct line and they advised me to go to urgent care. I was given antibiotics for Sinusitis! I knew it was not sinusitis, but the reason they did this was that I mentioned that I was getting pain in my forehead when I bent forward to pick things up.

I then went to my GP that week and he ordered bloods. They came back all clear, but the sensations didnt stop, next stage CT scan, again came back clear. My symptoms then took on a whole new form. I started to get pain in my legs along with dizziness and lightheaded moments. I started GOOGLING!

Google convinced me over the last three months, that I have

MS, ALS, LUKEMIA, BRAIN TUMOUR. All of which I am terrified of. I have been diagnosed with health anxiety after many visits to my GP and given Sertraline to take.

I just dont understand my symptoms, why do my legs, and back hurt so much its so painful. I cant play with my daughter without being in pain. Also I am exhausted all of the time and I have twitching in my body mainly my left leg. Every night before I go to sleep my left foot feels like its curling inwards and cramping and I wake up everyday with this crushing sense of dread. I am scared, and I feel alone.

Hoping somebody can give me some hope.

yea i started with major headaches thinking i had a tumor or something and had a clear ct scan that showed i had a sinus infection so i was given antibiotics. once i was over that fear i started getting fatigue and tiredness then i started to twitch in my legs and triceps, i've been to a neurologist now 4 times who said i dont have ALS or MS. i did a nerve conduction test that showed i have polyneuropathy and it was in my neck and lower back, then i went in and had an ssep test and it came back the same no issue in my brain just my neck and lumbar. i kept asking my neuro if im going to die from this and he keeps saying no. currently every part of my body twitches, my feet,legs, buttocks,stomach, back, hands, lip,eye. i havent lost any strength i just get tired easily and my early work schedule is rough im not usually fully awake til about 8-9 am but i have to be up at 4am.

• Like 1

and im a mix of anxiety symptoms and real ones i think...just dont know which ones are which. i can calm down the twitching for a while using a tens unit, but they get worked up with physical activity. i think something like 20 million people in the US have some type of neuropathy. and who knows if the antibiotics can trigger it.. also i was abusing caffeine and workout supplements.

• Like 1

Thanks Ten.

My docs wont do anything they say they are not worried as my strength etc is all fine. I do feel some re-assurance from this, but its so hard when you still feel all this pain. I did a short jog on saturday, somethign I would usually breeze through and have no after effects, the whole afternoon I felt like my legs would give way and the next day they were in so much pain. Its only just sibsiding now, but I have just been for a walk for 30 mins and I am afraid they will hurt again after that. The twitches are relentless also when I am at rest.

I am terrified

Absolutely stress can cause such symptoms, my first ever true HA issues started because I had a fear of that I'd caught HIV or herpes from an ex, as it was insinuated I had- and I genuinely felt every sensation down below that might indicate something, even including night sweats, when I got the all clear, the symptoms went. Literally almost straight away. But I know it can take time to subside if you've been highly distressed for so long. Symptoms can hang around for a while. I do mindfulness apps such as Calm and I find it helps me for a little time. I'm sure you are fine, but i honestly genuinely understand your fear as I have my own HA issues and they are currently terrible. I wouldnt wish it on anyone. 

Hi David!  In my experience with symptoms, the anxiety makes them a million times worse.  Yes, they are very real but our brain intensifies our physical pain.  In the past, I have stomach and side pains and I thought I either had gall bladder inflammation or colon cancer.  I had bloodwork, ultrasounds and a colonoscopy, all of which came back fine.  I slowly began to try to “ignore” my aches and pains and move my body every day and the symptoms did subside.  That being said, I know it’s easier said than done and I have frequent setbacks.  Two steps forward, one step back.

Thank you for your replies. The Off Switch post makes a ton of sense to me (from the GAD forum).

My vicious circle starts with any new symptoms, today my neck is stiff... I am feeling a little better today, I changed the time I took my tablet from morning to night yesterday and hopefully that helps a little with the fatigue. I am exhausted now though.

I am glad I found this place, it helps x

• Like 1