Sign in to follow this  
KG421

Is this normal with anxiety or am I weird?

Anyone else experience physical symptoms/pain on just one side of their body? Right side only for me! I have several congenital skeletal defects on that side. I’m 33 and have never been diagnosed with any sort of syndrome or disease related to the defects but I worry that I must have some kind of undiagnosed rare condition that is worsening as I age. I’ve been going through a big anxiety relapse the past week and have had so much pain, tingling, weakness and off balance-ness ALL on my right side only. 

Yes, almost always left sided for me. I try to sleep on my back, but I pretty much always still wake up on my left side. So yeah, I have a lot of shoulder, neck, arm and hand pain on that side. I also tend to prop myself up on my left arm a lot, despite knowing that I shouldn't because it often makes the issues worse.

I’m now very worried this could be MS. Pain, weakness, tingling ALL on one side. Especially hand and foot. I feel like I need to really concentrate in use my hand. Help!

You don't have MS. You have anxiety, and symptoms include pain, weakness and tingling.

• Like 3

You’re weird!  But don’t worry.  We all are.

I’ve been having the same sort of thing on my left side AFTER having hand and foot (and face) issues on my right side.  I know it’s super creepy and terrible, but the odds are greater that it’s anxiety than the odds of it being a neuro nasty.

In my case, after lots of time with a neurologist ruling out all sorts of things the likely cause is my intense anxiety that was already up and running before I somehow gave myself sciatica on the left side.  I double-whammied myself after my nerves were already turned up to 11.

My anxiety baseline has come WAY down over the past several weeks through CBT, mindfulness and reminding myself that much smarter people than me have given me a thorough review.  

There is no shame in consulting a doctor to reasonably rule the scary stuff out.  That’s what worked for me.  I needed to establish a baseline and accept it as FACT that there is not anything completely awful going on.  Since then, I’ve been much more successful (definitely not 100% yet) in gaining control over the beast of HA.

Good luck to you, friend.

• Thanks 1

MS was my "anxiety passion" last year. I had all the symptoms, especially tingling in one side of the body. I also remember waking up every day expecting to lose the view of one eye (typical ms symptoms), and so much i waited that i remember clearly waking up with eye pain one day. I went to a neurologist who immediately understood i was crazy (lol), and nearly kicked me out of the hospital. Since the second i was outside the hospital i didn't have a single symptoms. 

But don't worry, i already have new deadly diseases to think about

• Like 1