Booandlou

Health anxiety- can your mind create symptoms?

Hi, so nice to finally find a HA forum!! I've struggled so debilitatingly with HA since the death of my friend last year from a cancer. I worry constantly about liver disease and cancer esp as in the past I have been a party animal. I have had ultrasounds and blood tests numerous times but now I've developed a terror of going. Now I have a cold and I'm terrified of that being a sign I'm seriously Ill and my immune system won't fight it. I'm terrible.

But what I'm asking is; can you mind make up the sensations I feel in my liver area? The pressure that comes and goes? The feeling that I get when I wake up straight away which in mind can't possibly be the IBS I've been told it is. Can your mind truly create feelings in a certain area if you concentrate on them so much? I'm constantly focused on that area. It is ruling my life and it's awful! 

A x

3 hours ago, Booandlou said:

Hi, so nice to finally find a HA forum!! I've struggled so debilitatingly with HA since the death of my friend last year from a cancer. I worry constantly about liver disease and cancer esp as in the past I have been a party animal. I have had ultrasounds and blood tests numerous times but now I've developed a terror of going. Now I have a cold and I'm terrified of that being a sign I'm seriously Ill and my immune system won't fight it. I'm terrible.

But what I'm asking is; can you mind make up the sensations I feel in my liver area? The pressure that comes and goes? The feeling that I get when I wake up straight away which in mind can't possibly be the IBS I've been told it is. Can your mind truly create feelings in a certain area if you concentrate on them so much? I'm constantly focused on that area. It is ruling my life and it's awful! 

A x

Welcome, i joined this site not long ago and i learned a lot from reading many posts that HA can make you feel every possible illness if you focus. Try not to pay attention , i know its very hard bc its exactly what I'm dealing with. Ive been to so many drs butt i still can not stop thinking and reading on me google all the possible symptoms that can ruin my life. Ive had throat pain for almost 10 weeks and its driving me insane. Last night i woke up and almost went to panic just because i was thinking too much. Stay positive. Good lyck. HA sucks big time 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi. Boo. Welcome to AC. :) Sorry about the delay in answering.

The answer to your question is simple. Yes!!! Anxiety can mimic any symptom that you have in your mind. (It must be in your mind for you to think about it!!). That's why self diagnosis in anxiety is dangerous. You are so open to suggestion and Dr. Google will certainly provide you with that. Keep off it! So many are fooled and bluffed into anxiety by imaginary symptoms. Oh yes, they can be so real. The pain is there; the ache is there; the dizziness is there. But it's all one big illusion.  It's all smoke and mirrors that Mr. Anxiety drums up. Don't let him fool you.You may have been to your doctor and been told it's 'nerves'. Don't be afraid of this diagnosis. We all are in the same boat here so you can talk freely.  There is nothing like experience when dealing with symptoms. You learn so much about yourself and how to manage anxiety.

Look up on this site "The 100 symptoms of Anxiety". And that list is not exhaustive by any means.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much to you all. I'm really struggling, waking up feeling sick. Made worse by my own doctor telling me if I don't reduce the stress that could cause me cancer. I've never had a doctor say that before and I cant get it out of my mind. It triggered me so badly, and now I'm obsessed with how my stomach/abdominal area is feeling. I have a blood test tomorrow but I'm now also terrified of going for that, I used to be getting tested over and over but now I am fearful- almost like a terror that I'm going to be told something bad. Esp because my last blood test came back 'satisfactory' not quite 'normal' I'm  convinced it will be bad. X

Made worse by my own doctor telling me if I don't reduce the stress that could cause me cancer. I've never had a doctor say that before and I cant get it out of my mind. It triggered me so badly,

I'm not surprised!!!! What sort of idiot doctor have you got? He/she has obviously never had anxiety. Not only uncaring but what he/she said IS COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY UNTRUE. There is nothing to link cancer with stress. Of course, stressed out people with cancer can get anxiety, very much so. But to imply that stress can cause cancer is nonsense. I have often said on this site that I despair sometimes with the medical profession. Like any other job there are good and bad, but the sheer lack of empathy or even sympathy for anxiety sufferers astounds me at times. I have been involved with counselling for many years and I have heard this nonsense so often. The answer is 'show me the proof'. There is none. Cancer is often there with normal and very unstressed people.

Don't give it another thought. Change your doctor as soon as you can. You can do without having the frighteners put on you.

Thankyou so much Jonathan: the temptation to Google stress causing cancer has been overwhelming at times, I've tried to avoid it. I was horrified the GP said it, truly, I thought "I have health anxiety and you are seriously telling me I'll get cancer because of it if I don't calm myself down??!" 

I'm in a bad way with it all at the moment. Going for a blood test Friday that I asked for a while back, but I'm terrified to go, should I cancel it? The doc only arranged it because she asked what she could do reassure me but if there are any levels 'off' I'll be horrendous and in unmanageable with worry and fear. 

Yes, you should go for a test if only for reassurance. Don't be terrified. It's a normal procedure for doctors. They have to watch their backs these days so have to keep records updated. She asked if she could reassure you? So the way to do that is tell you that you could get cancer being stressed? WOW! Now there's a wise insight into anxiety. :fp:. Doctors, GP's, have little or no training in mental illnesses (UK), so they should not pass judgement or come out with frightening remarks. Try, I say try because it's not easy, but try and accept the feelings without adding fear to fear. The OMG's and the 'what ifs' just add fuel to the fire of anxiety. You will be OK. Come back whenever you want to, we are here.

• Thanks 1

Thankyou Jonathan; I am so scared as last time I had a LFT blood test (liver) last year it came back ever so slightly elevated in one protein/area; the doctor at the time said not even slightly anything to worry over as that particular part of the test is very sensitive and everything could effect it, but now I'm scared out of my mind. 

The doctor who's told me I could have this test is a different GP to the rubbish one who told me that stress would cause cancer. I am completely going out of my mind with worry. 

I am completely going out of my mind with worry. 

No, you are not going out of your mind, but you are certainly worrying. Tests invariably show something. They can be very sensitive and often come up with things that will cause no harm but frighten us. You should try and calm down. Oh yes, I know, been there and it's not easy. But weeks of worry so often result in nothing, and all we have done is make ourselves worse. Go easy on yourself.

Thankyou Jonathan. I will do my best to calm and try to become a little more accepting of the condition and its symptoms!