Sign in to follow this  
Anonymous333333

Having a Pregnancy Scare

I am at the end of my rope with a particular situation that is causing a pregnancy scare for me.  So a couple weeks ago on 4/13 I ended up missing a pill.  On 4/14 I had intercourse w/ condom but didn't remember I missed that pill until afterwards.  Even though we had the condom and I think we used it correctly - I am worried about the risks of pregnancy due to any leakage (that we wouldn't have known about).  I doubled up on pills that night.

Period was supposed to come on 4/20 and I started cramping/usual symptoms a few days before.  However, the period didn't come yet the cramping continued.  Now it's 4 days after my period was expected and I'm really scared that this means I'm pregnant now.   I haven't had any spotting/bleeding, I've been really stressed, and my periods are irregular to begin with.  However, this was just really bad timing for me to miss one.  When I do have period, it is always the same day in the pack and it never comes a few days later.  It either comes or it doesn't. 

I read that a pregnancy test w/ irregular period should be done 3 weeks after sex.  The week I can take it is the week of my next period, so I thought I would just wait to see if that comes since timing is so close.  But that's weeks away from now and this worry is taking over my life - I keep looking up things online and thinking about it.  Am I just being paranoid or do I really have something to worry about?  Thank you!!!

Also, I want to point out that I have already sought reassurance from a number of places - because that's what I unfortunately do when I get paranoid.  I've asked my boyfriend, my OB/GYN, another forum, and have consulted various websites and all say missing 1 pill with condom is fine.  I don't know why I'm still so scared!!!

Pill or no pill, condom or no condom, etc - sex always includes a risk of pregnancy. Obviously you are aware of this. I'm not here to preach to you about this, because all three of mine were unplanned and my first was born when I was 18... 😂

But yeah, I agree that it's fine. One birth control measure is pretty good, but two combined are even better in terms of preventing pregnancy. I've known many females who have mistakenly skipped a pill from time to time. No worries.

• Like 1

Take a test now. If you have missed your period already then it would likely show up. It may give you some peace of mind. Stay calm. A surprise baby was one of my greatest blessings.

• Like 3

On 4/24/2019 at 6:16 PM, Anonymous333333 said:

I am at the end of my rope with a particular situation that is causing a pregnancy scare for me.  So a couple weeks ago on 4/13 I ended up missing a pill.  On 4/14 I had intercourse w/ condom but didn't remember I missed that pill until afterwards.  Even though we had the condom and I think we used it correctly - I am worried about the risks of pregnancy due to any leakage (that we wouldn't have known about).  I doubled up on pills that night.

Period was supposed to come on 4/20 and I started cramping/usual symptoms a few days before.  However, the period didn't come yet the cramping continued.  Now it's 4 days after my period was expected and I'm really scared that this means I'm pregnant now.   I haven't had any spotting/bleeding, I've been really stressed, and my periods are irregular to begin with.  However, this was just really bad timing for me to miss one.  When I do have period, it is always the same day in the pack and it never comes a few days later.  It either comes or it doesn't. 

I read that a pregnancy test w/ irregular period should be done 3 weeks after sex.  The week I can take it is the week of my next period, so I thought I would just wait to see if that comes since timing is so close.  But that's weeks away from now and this worry is taking over my life - I keep looking up things online and thinking about it.  Am I just being paranoid or do I really have something to worry about?  Thank you!!!

I missed one pill and now have a 7 year old. Didn't use a condom however. Take a test and ease your worries. It'll be accurate

• Like 1

I’ve noticed The pill can be super finicky especially when you miss a dose or are even late to a dose. It can cause all sorts or weird symptoms. Even if I’m late a few hours it throws me off. Because you said you also suffer from irregular period I believe it’s highly unlikely that your pregnant. Take a quick pregnancy test to ease your mind. 

• Like 1

Missing one pill and then taking two is going to make your period off, probably.  I can't say you're not pregnant, not having xray vision, but condoms are like 97% effective.  

I once had a pregnancy scare - except I hadn't done that thing you need to do to get pregnant (unless my girlfriend has a serious secret, I guess, but I think I'd have noticed by now).  So if you ever feel a little crazy for worrying so much, remember, you could be worse!  😂  HA is a bitch, but you can beat it back.  Hopefully your scare has passed by now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone!  Sorry for the delay, the site seemed to be down the last few times I tried to come back on.

Since my last post I kind of moved on from my pregnancy scare, I decided that if I had a baby it'd be exciting and that was the new mindset I was going to have.  I also told my parents (cringe) but they were surprisingly super helpful and supportive, they were one of the biggest reasons why I was afraid of pregnancy so that helped me too.

I decided to wait and see if my next period comes due to my irregularity thing.  It is supposed to come next Saturday so I've recently gotten a little nervous again.  The interesting thing though is the cramps actually went away when I stopped being nervous and now they're kind of back now that I am again.  I am inclined to think this is all in my head.

I appreciate everyone's replies!

26 minutes ago, Anonymous333333 said:

Thanks everyone!  Sorry for the delay, the site seemed to be down the last few times I tried to come back on.

Since my last post I kind of moved on from my pregnancy scare, I decided that if I had a baby it'd be exciting and that was the new mindset I was going to have.  I also told my parents (cringe) but they were surprisingly super helpful and supportive, they were one of the biggest reasons why I was afraid of pregnancy so that helped me too.

I decided to wait and see if my next period comes due to my irregularity thing.  It is supposed to come next Saturday so I've recently gotten a little nervous again.  The interesting thing though is the cramps actually went away when I stopped being nervous and now they're kind of back now that I am again.  I am inclined to think this is all in my head.

I appreciate everyone's replies!

Classic anxiety, IMO. Anxiety creates a heightened sense of awareness. We become more alert and aware of our body and its doings. Unless, of course, the fight or flight response is activated due to a real threat rather than a perceived threat (which is what anxiety causes). In the event of fight-or-flight in response to a real threat, we tend to not care what our body is doing, we only care about surviving.

• Like 1