Sign in to follow this  
Walking Circles

Ever feel like the universe is taunting you?

I visited my grandparents this last Sunday. My grandfather has Parkinson's Disease, which I've had several bouts of fear over in the past. 

Yesterday I was sitting on the couch with my had on my arm rest, the couch is leather, and I felt sort of a jerky motion on my pinky finger. The kind of feeling when skin drags against leather slightly, if you've ever felt it before.

Of course my first thought for some reason was that it had to be a nascent tremor in that finger. Not something rational like a muscle twitch (have them all the time) or my hand just sliding a bit. Nope, we had to jump in the deep end.

I spent the rest of the day ruminating on it. Later I was on reddit and there was a thread on sharing something personal, of course the very first post that popped up was someone saying they'd been diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's Disease. They were only about 8 or 9 years older than me. Of course it freaks me out because people with a parent or grandparent with PD are at slightly higher risk.

Anyone else have this happen? Where when you are worried about something you almost immediately see it somewhere you feel like you normally wouldn't?

I forget the name, but this phenomenon, if you will, has a name, I believe. When you buy a car that's new to you, you think it's unique, and suddenly everyone and their mama is driving one. Same situation. Your mind is thinking about it, consciously or subconsciously, and so you'll notice it everywhere, when you would otherwise not notice it at all.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2019 at 6:48 AM, bin_tenn said:

Or in my case, as soon as I stop looking I find it... 😂

I can relate. Everytime I think everything is fine. I see another problem that sends me down the spiral

This literally JUST happened to me! I’ve been having a lot of general pain lately. Tight muscles, achy/cracking joints, fatigue, weakness. I was watching an Instagram story of a woman I follow and she posted about a friend of hers who went to the doctor a week ago for sore muscles and joint pain. DR said she was fine. A few days later she fell while stepping up onto a curb. Later that same day she sat down to change her child’s diaper and couldn’t get back up. Now she’s in the hospital, unable to walk at all and the doctors can’t figure out why. My pain immediately intensified and now I’m feeling like I can’t walk. I also feel guilty for feeling like this because there is someone out there who actually very suddenly lost her ability to walk. 

Sorry if that story is triggering but better for me to get it out here than on Google!