Sign in to follow this  
SurferJoe

Waking up feeling anxious...

I've struggled with anxiety most of my life. It's been far worse than it is right now, but I'm still struggling. I wake up nearly every morning with my "fight or flight" reflex already on high alert. I feel anxious and scared. My stomach feels weird. I'm tense and touchy and it really sets the table for the rest of the day. I end up feeling like a black blanket has been thrown over my day and I spend too much time expecting the worst: my girlfriend is going to get mad at me, my car is going to break, I'm going to get sick, the bills are not going to get paid, I'm going to have issues with my ex-wife, and on and on. Instead of just enjoying life - I devote so much energy to worrying about what could happen. I have been in therapy for several years and it has helped me a lot. I would be in a far worse place without it - but I also feel like I could be in a far better place. I just don't want to worry so much. I know things will always pop up - that's life - but I wish I could relax until they do. It's so tiring. I feel constantly burned out. My solution all too often is to take a Valium and then just try and push my way through. It just has to be better than this.

Schedule an activity for the morning to do as soon as you awake (no laying in bed thinking permitted!) so that when you get up you can set your mind right to some type of responsability. I wake up and make the bed and then immediately either walk my dogs, if my wife hasnt already, then I go make breakfast.

Eating breakfast is very important too for anxiety because it jump starts your metabolism. Without doing that your body will create more stress hormones throughout the day in turn making you more anxious all day long and there is nothing you can do about it until the next morning. It is also important for ppl with anxiety to have a high protein breakfast with low sugar and carbs. I know people who have basically cured their anxiety disorders by simply eating large high protein breakfast every morning. 

Basically you need to give yourself something other than anxiety to think about in the morning. No one has ever thought their way out of anxiety you have to act your way out by making decisions that will minimize the stress in your life. 

• Like 2

On 4/23/2019 at 11:02 AM, Brad66 said:

Schedule an activity for the morning to do as soon as you awake (no laying in bed thinking permitted!) so that when you get up you can set your mind right to some type of responsability. I wake up and make the bed and then immediately either walk my dogs, if my wife hasnt already, then I go make breakfast.

Eating breakfast is very important too for anxiety because it jump starts your metabolism. Without doing that your body will create more stress hormones throughout the day in turn making you more anxious all day long and there is nothing you can do about it until the next morning. It is also important for ppl with anxiety to have a high protein breakfast with low sugar and carbs. I know people who have basically cured their anxiety disorders by simply eating large high protein breakfast every morning. 

Basically you need to give yourself something other than anxiety to think about in the morning. No one has ever thought their way out of anxiety you have to act your way out by making decisions that will minimize the stress in your life. 

What would you recommend as a high-protein breakfast for a busy single mom? Does it have to be meat/eggs? Or do you think nuts, dairy, etc. is ok? Trying to figure out how to fit that into my day... Usually I go without breakfast in the morning and make myself a tea at work.

I also have problems with waking up to panic attacks, or having a panic attack while I get ready for work (most often in the shower). My solution has always been to wake up, immediately take half a klonopin, and lay back down for 30 minutes to sort-of ground myself and get myself ready for the day.

Love the comment by Brad66 "No-one has ever thought their way out of anxiety".

So true and yet this is what I - and I suspect many fellow sufferers - all do. Lie in bed or sit somewhere thinking and thinking and thinking...

Very good point Brad and one I shall bear in mind.

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2019 at 1:20 PM, Baileyisreal said:

What would you recommend as a high-protein breakfast for a busy single mom? Does it have to be meat/eggs? Or do you think nuts, dairy, etc. is ok? Trying to figure out how to fit that into my day... Usually I go without breakfast in the morning and make myself a tea at work.

I also have problems with waking up to panic attacks, or having a panic attack while I get ready for work (most often in the shower). My solution has always been to wake up, immediately take half a klonopin, and lay back down for 30 minutes to sort-of ground myself and get myself ready for the day.

I drink a protein shake in the mornings I have to work. They are called premier protein they are low sugar (only 1 gram). I get them at Sam's club. I am sure there are other alternatives available but I have found these ones to be the best tasting while having low sugar. Lots of flavors available too cookies and cream, chocolate, vanilla, banana, strawberry cream, etc 

On mornings that I don't work or work from home I usually switch it up and have eggs.

There are also brands of waffles that have extra protein added. I will have them occasionally. But they are typically high in carbs which isn't good if you are watching your weight and sugar intake. 

It's important to switch it up though from time to time or you will get sick of the same thing everyday.

This is exactly what happens to me. Waking up every morning shaky with panic. I feel like it won’t ever stop. I absolutely hate the mornings. I also just pop a pill and hope for the best.  I hope you have gotten some relief if any, as I see your comment was on May 22nd.