Countnono

Dental Hypochondria? Bad weekend.

I'm having a bad weekend, with my baby and my mother being ill, no sleep, and I just need some support on this one issue. I really appreciate this resource.

I had a dental filling done this morning. I also had one a couple weeks ago. I've always been prone to worrying about my teeth, and these are the first two fillings I've needed in eons--I had one as a child, but I guess pregnancy and hormones can make your teeth vulnerable. I'm still breastfeeding.

I didn't respond to the numbing agent well last time. It hurt and was really frightening. This time it started to hurt again, and my dentist added a second numbing agent which seemed to help. Regardless, I'm already totally worn out so the pain had me in tears and shaking.

My teeth have been feeling generally sensitive for a while, and my filling from two weeks ago is *still* a little sensitive. When I bite a certain way or drink cold things, my teeth on the bottom of my jaw feel twinge-y.

Is my whole mouth falling apart? Or am I just experiencing regular old tooth sensitivity, made much worse by my dental anxiety? Can anxiety make tooth stuff worse, haha?

Much love, and thank you for reading.

Anxiety probably won't necessarily make this stuff worse, but it will certainly increase your awareness of it. Anxiety does that, it's not abnormal whatsoever. Even when people experience anxiety due to a legitimate stimulus, such as being in immediate danger, their senses are heightened and they're more aware of their surroundings. That's because anxiety is meant to improve one's survival when facing a real threat. The problem with an anxiety disorder is that this increased awareness and sensitivity, and many other normal anxiety responses in the body, are triggered by a threat which does not actually exist, so it feels awful.

I've had some dental work done in the past few years, a good bit of it. I always have increased sensitivity in my mouth for several days, or even a couple of weeks. I don't think that's abnormal at all. What's abnormal is the irrational response (anxiety) to a harmless and routine situation.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Countnono said:

I'm having a bad weekend, with my baby and my mother being ill, no sleep, and I just need some support on this one issue. I really appreciate this resource.

I had a dental filling done this morning. I also had one a couple weeks ago. I've always been prone to worrying about my teeth, and these are the first two fillings I've needed in eons--I had one as a child, but I guess pregnancy and hormones can make your teeth vulnerable. I'm still breastfeeding.

I didn't respond to the numbing agent well last time. It hurt and was really frightening. This time it started to hurt again, and my dentist added a second numbing agent which seemed to help. Regardless, I'm already totally worn out so the pain had me in tears and shaking.

My teeth have been feeling generally sensitive for a while, and my filling from two weeks ago is *still* a little sensitive. When I bite a certain way or drink cold things, my teeth on the bottom of my jaw feel twinge-y.

Is my whole mouth falling apart? Or am I just experiencing regular old tooth sensitivity, made much worse by my dental anxiety? Can anxiety make tooth stuff worse, haha?

Much love, and thank you for reading.

Sensodyne toothpaste works good. Also there are time of the month due to hormones your teeth will be more sensitive

• Thanks 1

If the needle they use to numb you REALLY hurts, your dentist is doing it wrong.  Yes, it stings.  Trust me, I may be a guy but I have a low threshold for pain and the dentist I go to is really careful about applying the needle.

If it hurts that much then you may need to find a new dentist that can properly apply the local anaesthesia without causing you immense pain.  If anything, ask them for the novacaine - that might be able to help you deal with the pain better.

Trust me, I know what you meant.  I had immense dental fears because of the way my pediatric dentist numbed my mouth - it was always pain, it always felt like even when he applied the numbing agent I could STILL FEEL THEM WORKING ON MY TOOTH.  I decided to find one of my own a few years ago and I am incredibly lucky to find one who is patient, kind, and knows how to apply that local anaesthesia with a minimum amount of pain.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately I’ve had a few cavities filled in the last few years. Having sensitivity afterward is totally normal.  I had one a few years ago that remained sensitive for about 6 weeks! Not fun but it does go away, just give it some time. You’re all good!

rugger

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BrightPhoenix said:

If the needle they use to numb you REALLY hurts, your dentist is doing it wrong.  Yes, it stings.  Trust me, I may be a guy but I have a low threshold for pain and the dentist I go to is really careful about applying the needle.

If it hurts that much then you may need to find a new dentist that can properly apply the local anaesthesia without causing you immense pain.  If anything, ask them for the novacaine - that might be able to help you deal with the pain better.

Trust me, I know what you meant.  I had immense dental fears because of the way my pediatric dentist numbed my mouth - it was always pain, it always felt like even when he applied the numbing agent I could STILL FEEL THEM WORKING ON MY TOOTH.  I decided to find one of my own a few years ago and I am incredibly lucky to find one who is patient, kind, and knows how to apply that local anaesthesia with a minimum amount of pain.

I felt the same way, like maybe I need a different dentist... The needle hurt, sure, but the fact that it started to hurt when she was drilling and she asked "How many more seconds can you tolerate this?" made me soooo anxious about going back next week.

I tend to get overly anxious about things anyway (shocker) but the pain makes me worry so much more that there's something wrong with me. It's nice to hear from folks that sensitivity happens. I'm sorry you had a similarly negative experience, but glad you have someone you trust.

• Like 1