Chriss

Ocular Migraine...need some kind words

Hi. Has anyone had ocular migraines? I was diagnosed about 15 years ago when I had my first one. I get them 2 or 3 times a year and they last around 30 minutes and my vision goes back to normal. It starts with the little light in the center of my vision, then I get the jagged circle in my vision that grows and then goes away. I just had one in my left eye. It lasted about twenty minutes and my vision is back to normal. I tried to remain calm, but these usually trigger some anxiety because I figure that THIS one is more than just an ocular migraine! This is my first one this year. I think I just need some words of encouragement. (I had a regular eye exam a couple of months ago and my vision changed a little but otherwise was fine.) Thanks.

Hi. Chriss. I get that now and then. It's called 'blind' migraine. In real migraine the flashes and jagged lines are followed or accompanied by severe headaches. But in 'blind' migraine you only get the jagged lines. Mine last for about the same time as yours. It begins with a swirl in the centre of the eye which enlarges then gradually fades into the periphery of the eyes. Then it goes. The doctor told me it's nothing to be concerned about. I believe her. But it can be disconcerting when you are liable to anxiety. Just another of Mr. Anxiety's little tricks!! I have had mine for many years and I'm still here. :).

I get them too! I totally know how you feel-they are a little anxiety producing for me too (especially near the end of it when it seems to obscure your entire vision). My sister and dad get them too and I know they are quite common and often attributed to nothing sinister. You will be ok!

Same here. Started about 25 years ago. I get the ones with minimal or no headache. Mine last 20 minutes. They do not turn into anything sinister. No need to fear.

I literally just had one about an hour ago and I am fine.  I have been having them for a few years now.  They used to scare the heck out of me at first but now I appreciate that they are painless and short lived.  I prefer them to an actual migraine any day.  No worries.  I have been to the doctor a few times and they say they are harmless.

Ivy

I have ocular migraines, but they usually only happen for me in the dark, or they do happen in the light as well and I just can’t see them. For me they are a bunch of different colored sparkles that go across my vision. Ocular migraines can be short or they can be long, it just sounds to be like you just had a particularly long one, I don’t think there’s anything serious going on :) You said you were recently at the eye doctor and they said you were okay, correct? Your eyes can’t really go from okay to horrible in that short of a period of time. Unless you start getting stabbing pains in your eyes or anything like that, I wouldn’t be too worried about it.