Unravelme

Insight on this form of anxiety please?

Hi Everyone,

I am new here. I am 31 and have been struggling with general anxiety ever since I can remember. There's one particular type that gets me every time, that I cannot get to the bottom of. The idea of having a job whether casual or fulltime makes me very fearful. Panic overwhelms me, impending doom- you know the drill. 

I had a child 2.5 years ago and I can tell you that the best I have ever felt anxiety wise was when she was born. As my time was my own with her, I called the shots and I didn't have anywhere to be, I felt the best in my life's recollection. If she had a playdate or dance class, I knew it was only an hour so anxiety to be on time was my only concern and didn't feel tied down. I am recently starting up a very casual job, and yet I feel like life is quite bleak.

I have tried to listen to myself about where the source is, but am stuck. Is it no control over my time, fear of going out and what co-workers will think of me, fear of being late...

Does anyone have any ideas as to where this could stem from?

Thanks for your time.

Hi. There. Sorry about the delay in answering but often time zones get in the way. Welcome to AC. :).

It sounds very much like GAD, or General Anxiety Disorder. Now it can hit any of us at any time, and when it does we must not panic, or try not to. It's become a very chronic disorder in modern society, and is it any wonder when you look at how stressful our lives can become. Have you been to your GP? Mild short term medication and good counselling can work wonders. If you can't get counselling then try to talk to friend or relative who understands. Not to anyone but someone you trust. Doing it alone is not advisable because we need to share and help each other.  Coming on here and sharing is also a great help. We all know how you feel, believe me!

Does anyone have any ideas as to where this could stem from?

This is a not a typical reaction to anxiety. You realise that it has a cause and knowing that puts you way ahead toward managing it. Nothing ever 'comes out of the blue' with no cause. As in physics there is cause and effect. The cause in anxiety may be hidden in the unconscious. It sometimes takes time and good counselling to find the cause. It can be from childhood; something that happened that made you repress the incident into your unconscious, and it has come up now. The feelings and emotions but not the memory of what caused it in the first place.  Some incident, some sound or word perhaps spoken in anger can 'trigger' the feelings. But first things first. If you have not done so get a diagnosis from your GP. Don't be afraid to go there. They deal with so many cases of anxiety these days. And don't feel embarrassed or feel any shame about feeling as you do. It's an illness like any other, and you can learn to cope with it and manage it so it does not interfere with your life.

I  have tried to listen to myself about where the source is, but am stuck.

Try not to get too involved with reasons at the moment. Anxiety can be life changing and for the good. You are forced to look at yourself and see what your life is about and where you are going. If you want to explore further then you can message me. Best wishes.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jonathan123 said:

Try not to get too involved with reasons at the moment. Anxiety can be life changing and for the good. You are forced to look at yourself and see what your life is about and where you are going. If you want to explore further then you can message me. Best wishes.   

Thank you for your time in responding to me. I truly appreciate it.

• Like 1