Sign in to follow this  
Concerned-pa

Should I get the second EMG (lower)?

1 hour ago, bin_tenn said:

Probably a muscular injury, IMO. Overuse/injury can cause twitching as well as weakness, aches and pains.

Don't remember injuring it. ALS doesn't often show itself in the thigh first, though.

Again, back issues can be exacerbated by squatting, bending over, even sneezing. If you’ve had other pains on the right side you could have a pinched nerve somewhere or pulled muscle that is causing other complications.

2 hours ago, Concerned-pa said:

Don't remember injuring it. ALS doesn't often show itself in the thigh first, though.

Overuse can and does happen without realizing it. Injury isn't restricted to knocking it around or whatever. Could've simply overused or overextended it.

On 4/10/2019 at 5:05 PM, Concerned-pa said:

Plus my leg ache/strength is so poor now with activity. I just feel tired when doing any work outside. Just loaded two loads of firewood into a trailer and my legs felt tired/achy. Then my feet started to tingle.

This isn't anxiety, there is something very physical/neurologically wrong with me, and it's not getting better. Because there's pain, I'm hopeful it's not ALS. But it's not good. I used to be able to run for miles and I cut hundreds of trees this past summer to clear our lot for our new home. I bet I couldn't cut a dozen the way I feel.

You had an emg...it doesn't matter if it was upper. It's clean for als... Period!

40 minutes ago, Holls said:

You had an emg...it doesn't matter if it was upper. It's clean for als... Period!

Is that how the EMG works, that it doesn't really matter "where"? I know nothing at all about ALS, so I don't even know exactly what is meant by upper vs lower EMG... :D

1 hour ago, bin_tenn said:

Is that how the EMG works, that it doesn't really matter "where"? I know nothing at all about ALS, so I don't even know exactly what is meant by upper vs lower EMG... :D

Generally, yes.

Of course for the hypochondriac in me, it's not enough.

8 hours ago, Concerned-pa said:

Generally, yes.

Of course for the hypochondriac in me, it's not enough.

Oh yeah, of course! I don't doubt that at all. I don't worry like I used to, but I still sometimes find myself questioning the tests I've had that prove I don't need to worry about certain things.

Lower EMG was clean. But also not showing any issues in my lower back. So not sure if there are in fact back issues at play. I have the equivalent of mild carpal tunnel but in my left ankle. Some swelling in my back where my back pain always his they said, but that's it. So if it may not be a back, and it's not ALS, what does that leave? Anxiety and/or MS?

It doesn't need to have a known cause. Part of overcoming anxiety is acceptance, particularly accepting the unknown. Anxiety often pushes us to feel the need to know the answers to everything, the "why". The reality is that sometimes there is no known reason, and that's okay! I'm happy to hear you got clean results. Please take some time to address the real issue - anxiety.