Sign in to follow this  
Concerned-pa

Should I get the second EMG (lower)?

Recommended Posts

I had an upper EMG last week that showed only minor cubital tunnel in both arms. I was upset at the time and wanted a lower EMG done since I thought that was what I was having done initially. I'm scheduled for next week, and then I have my appointment with my neuro on Thursday. I'm really not sure I will gain anything from the lower EMG. At this point, it's either MS or a spine issue.

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"It's either MS or a spine issue" - is that your own analysis, or is that what your provider said? If that's your own thinking instead, it's probably safe to say that it's anxiety talking and you don't need to worry. But either way, you should be well on your way to getting some sort of answer - even if that answer is "it's nothing, you're clear."

If that's the case, and it's clear, how do you plan to address the irrational and obviously incorrect thinking that it's "something"?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bin_tenn said:

"It's either MS or a spine issue" - is that your own analysis, or is that what your provider said? If that's your own thinking instead, it's probably safe to say that it's anxiety talking and you don't need to worry. But either way, you should be well on your way to getting some sort of answer - even if that answer is "it's nothing, you're clear."

If that's the case, and it's clear, how do you plan to address the irrational and obviously incorrect thinking that it's "something"?

My analysis of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus my leg ache/strength is so poor now with activity. I just feel tired when doing any work outside. Just loaded two loads of firewood into a trailer and my legs felt tired/achy. Then my feet started to tingle.

This isn't anxiety, there is something very physical/neurologically wrong with me, and it's not getting better. Because there's pain, I'm hopeful it's not ALS. But it's not good. I used to be able to run for miles and I cut hundreds of trees this past summer to clear our lot for our new home. I bet I couldn't cut a dozen the way I feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anxiety can cause everything you're describing, too. I'm not one to dismiss everything as anxiety, but it's definitely one (more likely) possibility, most of the time - including now. Chronic anxiety and stress can and do wreak havoc on the mind as well as the body. Age often alters / limits our physical abilities as well, even in a relatively short time.

If you're truly concerned, follow up with you doc. Explain all these things to them. If they give you the all clear, ask them to elaborate how they came to that conclusion, and how certain they are. They can never truly say 100% certain, because that simply isn't possible.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing wrong with keeping the appointment, and I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of it. I'm no doc, and I otherwise have no medical training/education. By all means, keep it and do what you feel you need to do. But if they say it's clear, do you feel like you'll accept it?

I get twitching in various places from time to time. Fingers, toes, arms, legs, even abdomen, neck, back and face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bin_tenn said:

Nothing wrong with keeping the appointment, and I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of it. I'm no doc, and I otherwise have no medical training/education. By all means, keep it and do what you feel you need to do. But if they say it's clear, do you feel like you'll accept it?

I get twitching in various places from time to time. Fingers, toes, arms, legs, even abdomen, neck, back and face.

Once I talk to my neurologist I will feel better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Concerned-pa said:

Once I talk to my neurologist I will feel better.

Let us know how it goes. I hope you feel well soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the other forum, NMP, there have been thousands and thousands of posts like yours, second guessing tests etc. with people absolutely convinced they have a serious disease because of new symptoms. 

The thing is, out of these thousands of posts, maybe tens of thousands, one single person ended up diagnosed with an actual disease, in their case MS. 

As an aside, when my anxiety is bad I get the exact symptoms you are describing in my legs. Weakness, tingling, pain, the whole nine yards, when I do any physical effort. I had the reason explained to me by a very patient doctor. He said your body is dumping adrenaline into your system all day. Even sitting there, your body is taxing itself through anxiety. You may not be running marathons, but your body is very, very busy. Add any extra effort to that and you will notice very diminished returns on your performance. 

Be ready for the the answer to be anxiety. As an aside, are you doing anything to treat and deal with the anxiety too? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lofwyr said:

On the other forum, NMP, there have been thousands and thousands of posts like yours, second guessing tests etc. with people absolutely convinced they have a serious disease because of new symptoms. 

The thing is, out of these thousands of posts, maybe tens of thousands, one single person ended up diagnosed with an actual disease, in their case MS. 

As an aside, when my anxiety is bad I get the exact symptoms you are describing in my legs. Weakness, tingling, pain, the whole nine yards, when I do any physical effort. I had the reason explained to me by a very patient doctor. He said your body is dumping adrenaline into your system all day. Even sitting there, your body is taxing itself through anxiety. You may not be running marathons, but your body is very, very busy. Add any extra effort to that and you will notice very diminished returns on your performance. 

Be ready for the the answer to be anxiety. As an aside, are you doing anything to treat and deal with the anxiety too? 

I will be blown away if this just turns out to be anxiety, but if it is, I will be relieved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's 1:30am here. Woke up to my youngest crying and when I got out of bed, my left leg was tingling like it was asleep. It now is still there just like a burn/tingle from my butt down the back of my leg to the foot. My left arm feels simiarly, but not really pins and needles as much as a burn/ache. I've never had that side affected like that nor right out of bed. I was doing so well tonight. I played with my oldest son, wrestled with him a little, etc. and I had no issues. Now I wake up to this. So worried at what this could be. My body was at full rest so no anxiousness. Trying to walk it off to see if it goes away, but no luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anxiousness is definitely still there and affecting the body, even when you feel like it isn't. You're obviously very anxious about this. However, it doesn't even sound like anxiety, IMO. It sounds like you slept in a way that caused your arm and leg to fall asleep or otherwise ache.

Are you currently in therapy/counseling, taking meds, etc for anxiety?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bin_tenn said:

Anxiousness is definitely still there and affecting the body, even when you feel like it isn't. You're obviously very anxious about this. However, it doesn't even sound like anxiety, IMO. It sounds like you slept in a way that caused your arm and leg to fall asleep or otherwise ache.

Are you currently in therapy/counseling, taking meds, etc for anxiety?

Nothing right now. Talking to you guys/gals helps some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you thought ahead as far as therapy / medication? There's no harm in the self help route, so long as you are aware enough to know when (or if) it's time to add professional help into the mix. I chose self help for a few years or more. I eventually had to make the decision to seek help from a therapist, and that gave me the extra push I needed to overcome the worst part of my anxiety.

I won't push it on you though, I'm just sharing my own experiences with seeking help. I do recommend it. I found it extremely helpful, and many others here (or used to be here) have as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, bin_tenn said:

Have you thought ahead as far as therapy / medication? There's no harm in the self help route, so long as you are aware enough to know when (or if) it's time to add professional help into the mix. I chose self help for a few years or more. I eventually had to make the decision to seek help from a therapist, and that gave me the extra push I needed to overcome the worst part of my anxiety.

I won't push it on you though, I'm just sharing my own experiences with seeking help. I do recommend it. I found it extremely helpful, and many others here (or used to be here) have as well.

Thanks. I'm taking it a day at a time. Some parts of the day are better than others. I do know that whenever a tingle or odd feeling comes back, I revert back to negative thoughts. Like today outside running around in the yard again, the feet tingles came back again. Getting little pricks and pins in both legs that has lessened somewhat now that I'm inside not running. Just wish I knew what was going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Concerned-pa said:

Thanks. I'm taking it a day at a time. Some parts of the day are better than others. I do know that whenever a tingle or odd feeling comes back, I revert back to negative thoughts. Like today outside running around in the yard again, the feet tingles came back again. Getting little pricks and pins in both legs that has lessened somewhat now that I'm inside not running. Just wish I knew what was going on.

I understand. Have you at least researched anxiety in general (how, why, etc), as well as techniques commonly taught in therapy (e.g. CBT)? If you don't wish to go the professional route yet, I think at least researching and applying some of this stuff on your own could be quite helpful. Tons of articles and YouTube videos about it - CBT, combating anxious thoughts, mindfulness, acceptance, meditation, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a list of anxiety symptoms, which includes everything you mentioned, and a WHOLE lot more. Never underestimate anxiety's ability to add new and exciting symptoms each time it rears its head. I get new symptoms all the time when I deal with anxiety.

 

https://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml?gclid=Cj0KCQjw7sDlBRC9ARIsAD-pDFq_ztuu8No9EX5pLJGvQhjui_yayrqzaIR_j08WuKvzdjElVXnecq0aAn9NEALw_wcB#symptomslist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lofwyr said:

Here is a list of anxiety symptoms, which includes everything you mentioned, and a WHOLE lot more. Never underestimate anxiety's ability to add new and exciting symptoms each time it rears its head. I get new symptoms all the time when I deal with anxiety.

 

https://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml?gclid=Cj0KCQjw7sDlBRC9ARIsAD-pDFq_ztuu8No9EX5pLJGvQhjui_yayrqzaIR_j08WuKvzdjElVXnecq0aAn9NEALw_wcB#symptomslist

Thanks. I know I've looked over these a lot and it's somewhat reassuring. However, this morning after a night of some pricks in my feet, both my legs feel exhausted (this a first). 

The weird part is the leg symptoms get worse with activity, but even google doesn't have an answer for this. Peripheral artery disease, I guess, but I'm not even worried it's that. Nothing associated with MS says it's instigated by excercise, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Concerned-pa said:

Thanks. I know I've looked over these a lot and it's somewhat reassuring. However, this morning after a night of some pricks in my feet, both my legs feel exhausted (this a first). 

The weird part is the leg symptoms get worse with activity, but even google doesn't have an answer for this. Peripheral artery disease, I guess, but I'm not even worried it's that. Nothing associated with MS says it's instigated by excercise, either.

Praying for your health

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Concerned-pa said:

Thanks. I know I've looked over these a lot and it's somewhat reassuring. However, this morning after a night of some pricks in my feet, both my legs feel exhausted (this a first). 

The weird part is the leg symptoms get worse with activity, but even google doesn't have an answer for this. Peripheral artery disease, I guess, but I'm not even worried it's that. Nothing associated with MS says it's instigated by excercise, either.

Classic BFS. Read this:

http://forum-bfs.com/information

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another twist. Today, I'm outside playing with the boys. I felt like my right quad was a little tight. I squatted down to pick something up, and felt a terrible burn like a muscle strain in my  right quad. Now it hurts going up and down stairs. I'm afraid my legs are losing their structural integrity from something to cause this.

So it's been two months of weakness and tightness in this right leg/knee with occasional twitches in my quad, and now, a full blown quad strain from literally squatting down. Could this be muscle degeneration? Or maybe ALS? My upper EMG was clean. Lower is tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this