MamaBear2

New to this.... ALS Fears

5 hours ago, MARC said:

There are only 5,000 cases of ALS per year in the USA and that works out to 2 in every 100,000 people. ALS occurs typically between 40 and 70, with the average age at diagnosis of 55. The risk increases as one ages. The disease is still considered pretty rare overall. There are 228,150 cases of lung cancer per year, 145,600 cases of colorectal cancer per year and 56,770 cases of pancreatic cancer per year. 

Yes! I’ve done the calculations and accounted for the stats that it’s more probable for men vs women and over 40 instead of under.  Makes me feel slightly better!😬

My neuro’s office just called and they have an opening tomorrow and can get me in sooner for my EMG. While I’m ready to get it done with... I’m not looking forward to how much it could hurt, the wait for the results, and if the results aren’t what I want....

On 4/13/2019 at 4:16 PM, MamaBear2 said:

What really gets me is when I open up social media and see a random post from a friend about ALS and dignity in dying and when I turn around at the library and see a book being displayed and it’s a biography of Lou Gherig! Agh!! I automatically start thinking it must be a sign! 😫

I registered on this site a while back but this will be my first comment. I have been twitching since February.  I have major health anxiety and always have but it comes in waves. My husband has it as well and he was actually the first to start twitching in December! I think he passed it to me because he was so stressed and with me feeling good at the moment I researched als and dug so deep finding reasons to assure him he didn’t have it and then BAM I’m twitching! Mine started in my foot which is so scary bc everyone says it started in a hand or foot and progresses from there but by the next day or 2 I was twitching all over, random like one here one there but mainly on the outside of my left foot. No weakness as far as testing myself running stairs, calf raises, moving toes all that. I have had the exact same spot right behind my armpit twitch as well!  At times I feel like my calves are twitching but it feels more like little zaps and I try to look to see if it’s twitching but see nothing. I’ve also had the vibration feeling in my foot and hand as well.  I saw my general practitioner today and she feels sure I’m fine and can ignore the twitching if that is my only symptom. My husband actually went to a neurologist and had an emg and mri and all came back clear and he still twitches daily for now. Anxiety is truly awful and I’m fully trying to believe I’m ok and it’s all from my mind. I can reassure myself a bit when I realize that over the years I’ve thought I had cancer of the ovaries, colon, lung as well as lymphoma which I never had any of those. My last episode was heart palpitations and I was convinced I had heart failure!  Which after an echocardiogram and wearing a heart monitor for 2 weeks and realizing my heart was fine my palpitations miraculously went away! I’m a 33 year old female with 2 young kids and I think as moms we fear so bad leaving our babies and when we have anxiety it’s magnified!! This was basically a long post just to say you aren’t alone! Oh and I’m the same with signs. Went to the dr last week and parked, looked up and the car in front of me had a bumper sticker that said “knock out als” I was like really?!?!?!