dcamc4

From MS to ALS, I’m an wreck really bad spot

Is there a reason why you're posting doc files instead of just typing it in?  I understand your fears but this is not how people normally post, and it's a lot easier if you just type into the field below your post.

First off, if you have some friends who know what you're going through, obviously talk to them, but also see if you can find a psychiatrist/therapist so you can talk this out.  I'm also going through an MS scare myself because of nerve pain I'm experiencing, but I won't discuss that here too much because this is about you.

I will go through your symptoms step by step because I actually did a lot of reading up about this from people saying "You don't have it":

- Face/mouth tight, slurring - I actually feel like this too and I find it does happen when my anxiety flares up - I trip over words, feel like I'm "mixing" words together, and I generally feel like I can't talk correctly.  From what I read, ALS/MS does this wayyyyy later.  If nobody is asking you if you sound drunk then you should be fine.  It's in your psyche.

- Finger/hands numbing when you wake up - CLASSIC anxiety symptom.  When my health anxiety gets really bad this happens to me too - was having this problem several months ago.  You wake up in the middle of the night and you are shaking your hand hard to "wake it back up".  May be related to your sleeping.

- Dizziness after getting up from the couch quickly - If you didn't have this problem before and you're having it now - I actually have a similar problem, but I also have an ongoing sinus infection and sinus infections do a number to your sense of balance and stability.  If you're having any problems with your sinuses or ears this is most likely your case and/or it could be as simple as blood sugar issues.  How's your blood sugar and cholesterol?

- Pulse/zap between your ears - There are nerve endings back there and judging from your hand numbing issue, this actually does sound like you're having some issues with the way you're sleeping, pinched nerves or muscles perhaps.  Even though you're healthy have you ever asked your doctor if you have sleep apnea?

I know how you feel, but also remember us guys have a lesser chance of getting it - there are other things that we're more suceptible to as guys.  You're somewhat older but you're not even in your 50s and that means your chances are way lower.

If your health anxiety is through the roof and there's nothing you're doing to treat it you will have all these symptoms, but if you want to be reassured, ask around to see a neurologist who has good bedside manner and share what you're experiencing with them.

I'm going to see my neurologist in a week about it myself, but like the other poster said, your symptoms appear to be all over the place.  I'm comparing what you're experiencing to what I'm experiencing (namely, you don't have nerve pain) and it sounds more like your health anxiety is what's causing you your issues.

I know it's annoying to hear that it's "just anxiety" but I would suggest talking to your GP/PCP, discuss these symptoms and say you'd want to see a neuro to make sure, then find a therapist so you can treat your health anxiety.

Yes it is.  You may want to try a different Internet browser if it's not allowing it.  I will message the mods on your behalf because I find it incredibly weird you can only attach files.  Sounds like you lost verification status or something.

Again, the bulbar onset part is usually during the middle to advanced stages of ALS.  The main thing is if you haven't had anyone wondering if you're drunk or if they're not wondering if "something is wrong with you" when you talk, then you're fine.  Yes, it is definitely an anxiety symptom - I was having similar problems last week, like I said.  I was tripping over my words and everything was kinda mushing together - I couldn't concentrate because of my health anxiety.

Have you gone to NoMorePanic?  They've been around as long as the old anxietyzone board was and there's a senior member there (both figuratively and literally - he's been there for awhile and he's older than us) who's gone through all kinds of health issues, most recently cancer treatment and he made a really good initial thread on ALS issues:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?196071-ALS-and-why-you-DON-T-have-it!

Try read that - it should help.  Anxiety Central and NMP are my two go-to spots for HA discussion.  NMP is very large and the forums are fast paced, whereas AC is a bit more laid back and a little comfier because it's a small but strong community.

I'll send a message to the mods about your account.

I’m back in rabbit hole. I’ve had back issues before. Today I hurt left low back in gym and about an hour later my left quad was feeling tingly and slightly numb. That feeling when you sleep on arm funny and it’s “asleep” when you wake up. That’s what I feel in left quad.  I’m freaking out just thinking it’s onset of ALS or MS.  I thought I read numbness and tingling is sign of these. I can fire muscles no problem 

thanks friends I know this sounds nuts 

On 4/17/2019 at 3:59 PM, dcamc4 said:

I’m back in rabbit hole. I’ve had back issues before. Today I hurt left low back in gym and about an hour later my left quad was feeling tingly and slightly numb. That feeling when you sleep on arm funny and it’s “asleep” when you wake up. That’s what I feel in left quad.  I’m freaking out just thinking it’s onset of ALS or MS.  I thought I read numbness and tingling is sign of these. I can fire muscles no problem 

thanks friends I know this sounds nuts 

Your good lol I’ve had

worse symptoms then yours and I have nothing wrong with me for 4 months burning pain on both side sore muscles twitches swallowing problems a bunch of random stuff and got emg and mri done nothing on either and it’s not like I just would sleep on arm it’d go numb and I’d freak out mine would just happen when I’m sitting there doing nothing writing with pencil for 5 mins my toes back hand arms shoulders and legs have went numb or burned I’m only 21 and barley had anxiety before this just all came out of blue one day and als does not have any thing to do with feeling numb you just can’t do something watch 45 anxiety symptoms on YouTube that’s helped me allot I’m finally starting to get better after 4 months of symptoms everyday. Just go out and enjoy life :)  

• Like 1

Thanks for the post that helped...its crazy...last two days I feel like my left foot is odd when walking and my gait is off and I go to ALS...its so maddening :(

11 hours ago, dcamc4 said:

Thanks for the post that helped...its crazy...last two days I feel like my left foot is odd when walking and my gait is off and I go to ALS...its so maddening :(

I understand believe me I did the same thing I really did and it’s terrible to feel weak when your not ! Just try and exercise and stretch is you can curing your body is best way to get body feeling normal again

Can I literally think myself into walking funny and feeling like muscles are weak ? So damn frustrated at myself 

I have not had the ALS fear but I’ve read many posts on here about it. Everything I’ve read says ALS is failing, not feeling. Feeling weak is different than actual clinical weakness, where you suddenly are not able to do something you could previously do, like buttoning a shirt or holding a pencil. Perceived (feeling) weakness is often a symptom of anxiety. If you are trying to analyze every aspect of your gait then yes, you can make yourself walk funny.

• Like 1

I hear you...thanks for the positive messages. I just feel like I'm in living hell. If its not my gait, I feel like my balance is off and I am light headed...its never ending 

• Like 1