Sign in to follow this  
Leah1976

Kind of dizzy after power walk outdoor in the cold weather HELP!

Hello every time I walk outdoors in the cold weather for 45 min to 1 hr or and get home I feel a bit woozy.... Nothing spins  and I don't lose balance but I feel off... almost like everything is slower... I can't explain.... this also happens after walking/running on a treadmill..... this is freaking me out, what could it be????? anyone had this happen before? If I walk outdoors in warm weather or in a mall or indoor track I don't get this way.... I am SOOOO scared :(

Let's think this through. First of all, have you seen a doctor about these concerns? Do NOT Google or diagnose yourself. You are legitimately having symptoms, but you don't have the medical training to know what those symptoms mean. And that's fine, but it means you need to let someone has more experience diagnose you.

Secondly, this only occurs in cold weather. Cold weather does a number of things makes muscles tighter and so on, which could explain it. Also, you say this happens when you "get home" -- I'm guessing when you go from cold air to warm air? Temperature changes like that can also cause some (totally benign!) symptoms. 

Yes, I think the temperature change is causing this. I don’t get dizzy but my head does hurt after being out in the cold and then returning to a warm environment. It only lasts as long as I still feel cold. Usually this is after jogging outside or walking the dog. It’s worse if the wind is blowing. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about at all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Iugrad91 said:

Yes, I think the temperature change is causing this. I don’t get dizzy but my head does hurt after being out in the cold and then returning to a warm environment. It only lasts as long as I still feel cold. Usually this is after jogging outside or walking the dog. It’s worse if the wind is blowing. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about at all.

yes exactly, as soon as my whole face gets warm then it stops....

the treadmill one I don't know, maybe it's normal? it only last like 10 seconds.... 

I'd chalk it down to the weather. Cold weather can be wacky at times and give us symptoms accordingly. 

I used to have concerns over dizziness until I did a test to see if it was perception or reality: I'd stand still and close my eyes or keep my eyes open and stand on one foot. If I was able to keep my balance, it was just a perceived dizziness and nothing to worry about. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AbeLinkedIn said:

I'd chalk it down to the weather. Cold weather can be wacky at times and give us symptoms accordingly. 

I used to have concerns over dizziness until I did a test to see if it was perception or reality: I'd stand still and close my eyes or keep my eyes open and stand on one foot. If I was able to keep my balance, it was just a perceived dizziness and nothing to worry about. 

I did that test, my balance is perfect... I can close my eyes and I don't lose balance and I can stand in one foot (like yoga tree pose) and never lose balance.... BUT what's perceived dizziness? Did your doctor tell you this? They did this test for me at the doctor's office as well but never explained anything about perceived dizziness....

4 hours ago, Leah1976 said:

Hello every time I walk outdoors in the cold weather for 45 min to 1 hr or and get home I feel a bit woozy.... Nothing spins  and I don't lose balance but I feel off... almost like everything is slower... I can't explain.... this also happens after walking/running on a treadmill..... this is freaking me out, what could it be????? anyone had this happen before? If I walk outdoors in warm weather or in a mall or indoor track I don't get this way.... I am SOOOO scared :(

Yes, I have this feeling as well, after being outside in the cold.  I don't know exactly what it is, but I get a dizzy feeling. Compare that, to this occurrence:  Once when I was cleaning out my ear with ear wax solution, the solution was warm.  When I rinsed it out with cold water, it put me on the floor.  I got instant vertigo.  This very same thing has happened with my husband, and he is not a hypochondriac at all. The rapid changes in temperature can cause havoc with our inner ears. It's almost like a shock to our vestibular system. The fast temperature change is so surprising to our inner ears, that it throws them off for just a brief period of time.  With that being said, I think the changes in air temperature in our environments can cause our inner ears to go wacky for a bit. I don't believe you have anything to be concerned about. 

• Like 1

I can't comment on the cold weather part, but I run a lot, and I absolutely have that sensation after some runs. Can't figure out the pattern, but I assume that it's some combination of lack of hydration, not enough calories, overexerting, etc.  Also, I went through a whole dizziness scare myself last year. My doc was never worried--she says she gets a ton of visits due to dizziness, and it's virtually never anything to be concerned about--but she ordered an MRI just to be extra careful and it was totally normal. I still get a little dizzy from time to time, but now that I'm not anxious about it, it's almost like it's lost its power over me. So I'm not sure if this is all that helpful to you, because it's so hard to be rational when you're the one going through the symptoms, but as an unbiased party, this really sounds like nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Eek said:

I can't comment on the cold weather part, but I run a lot, and I absolutely have that sensation after some runs. Can't figure out the pattern, but I assume that it's some combination of lack of hydration, not enough calories, overexerting, etc.  Also, I went through a whole dizziness scare myself last year. My doc was never worried--she says she gets a ton of visits due to dizziness, and it's virtually never anything to be concerned about--but she ordered an MRI just to be extra careful and it was totally normal. I still get a little dizzy from time to time, but now that I'm not anxious about it, it's almost like it's lost its power over me. So I'm not sure if this is all that helpful to you, because it's so hard to be rational when you're the one going through the symptoms, but as an unbiased party, this really sounds like nothing to worry about.

I did tell my family doctor and at the time I was extremely congested and had allergies... gave me a spray that helped.... went to ENT and I am currently taking antibiotics and a nasal spray for a chronic sinus infections.... I also have neck issues, 3 herniated disks and the orthopedic surgeon told me that dizziness could be because of inflammation in the nerves in my neck, he said that's normal with herniation and I need to repeat the neck MRI next week (the one I showed him was from 3 years ago)..... so it could be ears or neck... BUT of course I freak out because I think it's a BT :( GOSH I have worried about a brain tumor for 6 months now.... so hopefully this is not it.... my family doctor gave me a neuro test and told me I don't have BT and the ortho surgeon last week did some similar testing as well, balance, strength, etc. I also had my eyes checked and they were perfect (optic nerves are healthy).... but of course, I still freak out about BT especially went I get woozy like that......

Yesterday I felt great no woozy feeling and then today I feel it again.... I am congested again and I had an allergy attack.... took alegra.... I feel off.... I did the balance test and I am ok, no balance issues, but I feel like I am in slow motion... I don't knnow how to explain it... I am trying to take deep breaths, feel very panicky.... what is it????? I am so scared of this feeling :(

Could this feeling be anxiety???? I just took 3 drops of CBD Hemp oil and I feel a tad better along with deep breathing

If you congested and have allergies then that can mess with your inner ears/sinuses and cause all the sensations you are feeling. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Iugrad91 said:

If you congested and have allergies then that can mess with your inner ears/sinuses and cause all the sensations you are feeling. 

Yes I know that's what the ENT says BUT of course I have to think the worst! 

My ENT physician has told me that temperature changes can affect your inner ears and cause balance issues. He said many cases of dizziness and balance issues are due to ear issues. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MARC said:

My ENT physician has told me that temperature changes can affect your inner ears and cause balance issues. He said many cases of dizziness and balance issues are due to ear issues. 

Thanks! I am having a CT scan of my sinuses and ears this week.... of course I am freaking out!

My wife had a CT scan of her sinuses a number of years ago which was ordered by our ENT physician, as she had pain in that area. The results were negative thank goodness and odds are your test will be negative too and good luck too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1