Mo1966

dr visits coming up

Hi everyone, Im new to this forum. I'm 53 yrs old and have had health anxiety since I was in my twenties. I'm female and basically healthy. My mom died of colon cancer about 14 years ago. So I get colonoscopy's done every 3 to 5 yrs depending on the presence of polyps. My five yr is in 2 wks. Aside from being afraid of results I am also terrified of being put to sleep for the test. and now my newest fear is my hiatal hernia and acid reflux which . caused me to throw up the last time during prep. I usually get all my medical tests done at the same time during one month in order to get them over with. so eye dr has one appt down and next is pap test, mammogram, blood work , colonoscopy and endoscopy. I try so hard to be brave and I always end up feeling sick to my stomach with fear and anxiety  no matter what i try. I found a good counselor and I do take lexipro, and sometimes kolonopin. But even the pills scare me. And i think once you turn 50 drs treat you differently especially if you have any bad habits..I am so afraid to get blood work results, I hate waiting for results. Everytime the phone rings I think this is it!! I am feeling really overwhelmed but i want to get all these tests overwith...So I joined this group in hopes of getting some support.  

Hi Mo.

Yes, we all dread tests and waiting for results. With the colonoscopy, it takes over 10 years for a polyp to go from formation to cancer, and then only if it's the 1 in 100 that have the ability to do so. Last one they removed any polyps you had, so the "field" started clear. Worst case is you have a polyp that's 3-5 years in formation. If so, snip snip and no worries.  Keep up w/the scopes as suggested and you will never get CC.  As for the prep, what can be said? It's the worst part. It makes me gag but "there's nothing to it but to do it".

When I get my scope, they give me twilight sleep, so I'm woozy and time passes very quickly but I'm never unconscious. I have no pain from the procedure.  Isn't that what you get?

Bob

The point of colonoscopies so close together is so they can find the polyps before they become a danger - there's little to no chance of them calling you with a scary result; worst case is "this needs to be removed before it's a problem."  

I hear you though; someone close to me is getting a scan for suspicious growths soon and I'm already having panic attacks.  And she hasn't even scheduled the appointment yet!  Testing is miserable for HA people, but once it's done with, you won't have to think about it again for a good amount of time.