Sign in to follow this  
Ow1984

Colon Cancer

Hi new to this forum but have suffered health anxiety for years but at the moment I'm in a mess. 

I'm a 34M have had blood in the toilet for last 10 months but only after heavy drinking. Only problem is I've bee  Quite drunk so don't know if I have been straining or if has hurt. I recently had a flexible sigmoidoscopy which showed a anal fissure at the top on the anal canal but the consultant didn't worry about anything else. I have intermittent light bleeding at other times.

I took the ointment for 3 weeks but stopped for some reason. 9 days later and there was blood in the toilet. I'm now paranoid that he has missed something? 

Why didn't he do a full colonoscopy?  When people say dark blood what does this mean? I'm not sure if my current tiredness is from worry or from the cancer I have convinced myself I have. 

Thanks all

I had the same problem as you when I was your age. My doctor used a flexible sigmoidoscopy to diagnose my fissure. Red blood is accompanied with issues in the anus or rectum. This is why he used a sigmoidoscopy. If you had  black, tar like stools then he would of ordered a colonoscopy. The blood turns black after it’s been digested via the colon or stomach. The feces has been digested by the time it reaches your rectum.

Thanks for response. I just can't get my head around why it's after alcohol when the amount of blood increases. The consultant sensing my anxiety told me I have nothing to worry about but you know what it's like with anxiety. Just wish I hadn't stopped taking the ointment now. 

I ask my partner to look at the blood in the morning and she thinks its lighter than her period blood. 

It's spoiling my home life at the moment.

Certain foods can effect your fissure. You’ll have to figure out what foods to avoid. I can tell you that soft stools and adding fiber to my diet helped me. You may try to eliminate alcohol first.

I have a history of a TON of red blood in the toilet. I don’t drink but mine always comes back when I drink a lot of carbonation or eat junk foods for a period of time. My fissures get worse the worse my diet is. Lots of things cause them to bleed. Best bet, eat healthier, drink less, exercise, and sleep plenty. It will likely go away. 

2 hours ago, sTeaLth said:

I have a history of a TON of red blood in the toilet. I don’t drink but mine always comes back when I drink a lot of carbonation or eat junk foods for a period of time. My fissures get worse the worse my diet is. Lots of things cause them to bleed. Best bet, eat healthier, drink less, exercise, and sleep plenty. It will likely go away. 

What I can't get my head around though (along with other things} is that 1 toilet following or during drinking there is lots in the bowl and the next movement there is hardly any when I wipe. Surely they can't heal that quick. 

I've now just seen that anal cancer can be mistaken for anal fissures and have gone into a complete headspin. Reading the consultants letter again. He wants to review the situation in 6 weeks and that he only had a glimpse of an anal fissure. Why didn't he take a swab? My anxiety has gone into complete over drive now. 

8 hours ago, Ow1984 said:

I've now just seen that anal cancer can be mistaken for anal fissures and have gone into a complete headspin. Reading the consultants letter again. He wants to review the situation in 6 weeks and that he only had a glimpse of an anal fissure. Why didn't he take a swab? My anxiety has gone into complete over drive now. 

Stop reading. Trust the professionals. They know what they’re doing. All the stuff you read is the extreme cases and arbitrary circumstances. 

My GI physician said anal cancer is not common. He said it is rare in people under 35 and occurs mostly in people beginning in there 60`s. 

On 2/10/2019 at 1:13 PM, Ow1984 said:

Hi new to this forum but have suffered health anxiety for years but at the moment I'm in a mess. 

I'm a 34M have had blood in the toilet for last 10 months but only after heavy drinking. Only problem is I've bee  Quite drunk so don't know if I have been straining or if has hurt. I recently had a flexible sigmoidoscopy which showed a anal fissure at the top on the anal canal but the consultant didn't worry about anything else. I have intermittent light bleeding at other times.

I took the ointment for 3 weeks but stopped for some reason. 9 days later and there was blood in the toilet. I'm now paranoid that he has missed something? 

Why didn't he do a full colonoscopy?  When people say dark blood what does this mean? I'm not sure if my current tiredness is from worry or from the cancer I have convinced myself I have. 

Thanks all

I have this exact problem and I also find it’s worse when I drink. I also had the sigmoidoscopy. I couldn’t accept the diagnosis and over a year later I requested the full colonoscopy. Well after all the worry I was diagnosed with the same issue (internal hemmroids)....I was convinced I had colon cancer. 

I can so relate to the complete panic after reading something online. I agree with the post that said anything we read online gives us extreme cases only. I remember last year I had a lump feeling in my throat that brought me to my gasto dr, they did a barium swallow that came back fine. but then I started noticing a little blood when i coughed i also had a sinus infection. So the dr ordered a chest xray. I found out i had pneumonia and that was fine took the antibiotics but then I got online----and started reading that sometimes pneumonia can cover lung cancer tumors so I was sure that the pneumonia was hiding the real culprit...Lol.. I could barely even talk to people I was so scared to get the recheck chest xray..everything was fine though.    Since then I try really really hard to stay the hell off of those sites

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nats03 said:

I have this exact problem and I also find it’s worse when I drink. I also had the sigmoidoscopy. I couldn’t accept the diagnosis and over a year later I requested the full colonoscopy. Well after all the worry I was diagnosed with the same issue (internal hemmroids)....I was convinced I had colon cancer. 

Everywhere I read it says anal fissures don't bleed that much. Which is why I can't understand what's going on. The weirdest thing is half the time I can't remember going to toilet it's just there in the morning as I'm still sort of sleep walking alcohol induced. 

Anyone who says that anal fissures don't bleed is definitely not speaking for everyone.  Granted I also get hemorrhoids so who the hell knows which is bleeding at any given time, but I assure you, a bad fissure can bleed A LOT.  I know at least once I had one that bled like I was being murdered - worse than my period, for sure.  And that was definitely a fissure, because I felt that one open up, and could feel it while I was trying to stop the bleeding.

Anyway, now you know way too much about a stranger's assal area, but I assure you, fissures can bleed a lot.  So can hemorrhoids of course, but neither is anything to worry about unless you're at a point where it's derailing your life in some way.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ow1984 said:

I've now had stomach gurgling for last week. What's this mean now? 

We are not doctors and cannot tell you. It could be anxiety related. Talk to your doctor about it. You mentioned your alcohol consumption. Over consumption of alcohol is one of the worse things you can do to your digestive system. You may want to consider that.

• Like 1