Bobnnat

All Things Urologic - Possible Trigger Warning

What a month it has been. Started on Jan. 14th. I woke up with a pain in my urethra. Saw my GP and after urine tests he said it was "urethral irritation" and give it 2 weeks or so. Of course I Googled and asked him if it was Urethritis, which would require an antibiotic. He said no. Be patient. Meanwhile, I have a urologist in Buffalo I use for my PSA testing (prostate) so I figured what harm could there be to getting a 2nd opinion?  By the time I saw him a week later I had scared myself into prostate cancer. The appointment started well. He began to calm me about the prostate fear. I then started talking about the history of this urethral pain, and mentioned that over the past few weeks I had 3 urinalysis, all normal. I looked up and he was holding a piece of paper. It was the results from the urine sample I had to give when I got there. Well, they found microscopic blood. I lost it. A mini panic attack. So, what now I asked? You wait 2-3 weeks, test again, and if its clear you forget about it! Excuse me??  When something bleeds that shouldn't, it can be occasional. Getting a clean test proves nothing!  

Long story short, I talked him into an abdominal/pelvic urogram. He also scheduled a cystoscopy. The imaging was perfect. I thought it ruled out kidney and bladder but learned a day before the scope, it only r/o kidney. Great, so I had to have the scope. I read up about it. "Uncomfortable" most sites said. Some bleeding and burning for 1-2 days - no biggie.  Holy Mother of God was that understating things! The numbing lidocaine (only 2% - I was once offered 5% for my arm when I had carpal tunnel) hurt like heck going in. The scope, well let's just say I have more respect for the pain of childbirth. It was a 10. I then went to urinate and the feeling was worse than I can describe. I actually became dizzy and had to be cared for by the nurses until my BP rose some.

The good news is the scope was fine. No bladder or prostate or urethra issues.  I was one of the 80% where no cause is found. Tell that to my urethra. Now, 4 days later I have good periods and bad with pain there. The burning and blood are gone. My urologist assures me nothing is wrong. My wife just says " hey, you had a piece of metal thrust down your **** give it time".  I guess. Well sorry, but my penis and I aren't on speaking terms.

Since August it's been one thing after another. I need a break. I really can't take this much more.

• Like 1

hang in there, that's an invasive test and it takes time for the tissue to heal. I had it done, even though it's not as painful for women, it took some days for the burn to stop. You will heal in no time. I am so glad it's good news!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi . Bob. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I am also part of the club.. I have microscopic blood for no reason. I had the scope and it hurt. The Dr said oh your urethra is so small.. we can help you with that.. I said nope, I'm good lol. I'll keep my small urethra :) I was sore for days afterward. So yes like Leah said, give it some time. 

I hope you get a long anxiety break. Hugs. 

• Thanks 1

I am glad you are ok. My friend who is 64 urinated visible blood for 3 straight weeks and no cause was found. It mysteriously went away after the 3 week period. 

• Thanks 1

I will keep this in mind if I ever think I have an ailment that requires a bladder scope.  Yikes.  I hope it's better soon.

• Thanks 1