Sign in to follow this  
RachelStorm98

Flesh eating bacteria scare

Shoot it itches!!!! This morning I woke up and my foot was itching. I noticed that my skin was starting to peel. Well yesterday morning dumb me decided to go out to get the mail with just my socks and slippers on. Well stupid me stepped in mud and I was sopped so now I am scared that I got flesh eating bacteria and that I am going to die. That they can't save me! I HATE THIS!!! I couldn't wash my feet off right away because the mail box is at the beginning of the subdivision. Dangit I wish I put better shoes on. Our water wasn't working well so I couldn't wash it for a few hours when it was finally fixed. I am so stupid and now I am gonna die because of my stupid mistake 

I can't do this! The pins and needles in my heels the odd coloring the everything I feel it spreading everywhere I am shaking so much I am such a dumb butt 

You just went to the ER and were found to be 100% fine. You are not dying, you are suffering from anxiety. Plenty of people get their feet dirty and are fine, and you'll be fine. How is it going with scheduling a therapy appointment.

1 hour ago, RachelStorm98 said:

No one can reassure me that I am okay I am crying knowing I am dying. I wish I could stop suffering...

It's pretty early in the morning where I'm at, many of us might have been sleeping or getting ready for work. 

It's a sloppy mess where I live, rain, snow, mud everywhere. I've gotten my feet wet and muddy millions of times, not to mention I do a lot of gardening and the soil has cow  manure in it... never not one time have I gotten an infection.I am 100 % positive you are fine.

25 minutes ago, utrocket09 said:

You just went to the ER and were found to be 100% fine. You are not dying, you are suffering from anxiety. Plenty of people get their feet dirty and are fine, and you'll be fine. How is it going with scheduling a therapy appointment.

I guess it is a good thing that it only itched lmao. Btw this was caused by a separate issue. Actually when I was going to the hospital. I had to walk through a lot of mud to get to where I needed to be. Sadly I only had slippers and socks on. It must of have just rained so my feet were soaked. :( it doesn't help that I had a scrape from a cat scratch that was healing. (No open wound though so thank goodness.) This was on yesterday. I spiraled this morning. I should really be getting some rest in all honesty. It's been about 24 hrs. No fever yet or anything. Still keeping an eye on it if it was flesh eating bacteria. 

As for the therapy, my mom thinks mine is so severe that I should consider going to a mental hospital. So I am in the process of deciding what plan is best for me. All I know is I can not live like this absolutely anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Jae said:

It's pretty early in the morning where I'm at, many of us might have been sleeping or getting ready for work. 

It's a sloppy mess where I live, rain, snow, mud everywhere. I've gotten my feet wet and muddy millions of times, not to mention I do a lot of gardening and the soil has cow  manure in it... never not one time have I gotten an infection.I am 100 % positive you are fine.

Oh it was quite alright, I am just being over dramatic. Anxiety will do that to you. 

Oh wow! I will assume your feet were pretty exposed as well lol. I am kinda assured that flesh eating bacteria is very rare. The media just blows it way out of proportion and makes it seem hopeless. Tsk Tsk. I had a cut on my foot but it was pretty healed up already. Already had the scabbing over it and everything. I am honestly gonna keep an eye on it. Apparently it spreads quickly and you have a high fever even in the early stages of it. (Hence why they say it feels like the flu.) it was already 24 hrs since I was out there stepping around in that stuff. If things get worse today however, than tomorrow I will go and get it all checked out. Not at an ER unless I absolutely had to.,

Well my temperature is going up and looks like it may continue to go up. 😕 I am getting the sweats and I feel warm. My last temperature was 98.4... great... it probably was that all along and it probably somehow got to my mouth maybe I touched my foot forgot about it and then put it in my mouth. Ew! I think I wiped it off before I used it again but idk. 

Rachel, why are you taking your temperature?  AND why are you taking it multiple times? 

98.4 is NOT a fever .. and do you know that our temperature fluctuates up and down all day long? It's affected on movement, eating, stress, time of the month ( if your ovulating did you know your temp could be 100 due to hormones?) 

Did you know that if your body has responded to a virus or bacteria and it raising your temperature to fight it off, you would be FREEZING, not feeling hot. 

Your anxiety is WAY out of control. 

I agree with Jae, you need to stop taking your temperature. You are catastrophising by thinking your temp is going up. It is not. It is normal. Temps fluctuate as Jae mentioned with activity, exercise, eating, resting, sleeping, etc... if you want to stop obsessing the first thing you need to do is not take your temp. You are fine!

Does your mother work in the mental health field?  Personally I would recommend trying outpatient therapy first.  Mental health hospitals are good for people in immediate danger or in drastic need of serious, immediate intervention.  Anxiety disorders not so much.  Unless you're outside the US and things are different there, but I've been in one and so have lots of people I know, and generally speaking, they focus on stabilizing you enough to function safely.  And if a therapist thinks you need more serious intervention they'll likely recommend it.   

In the meantime, you have to start somewhere, so block health related sites on your browsers and do anything that isn't monitoring your vital signs.  There must be something you enjoy doing, even if anxiety makes it hard.  Maybe hit that backlog of books or Netflix/Hulu shows you've been meaning to take in for a while (American Vandal on Netflix or Runaways on Hulu would be my recommendations if you can't think of anything you're interested in right now), or download Pokemon Go onto your phone and take a walk.  Sign up for a free trial of Skillshare and learn something new.  Click around YouTube until you find a subject you didn't know you were interested in and binge videos like there's no tomorrow.  (It turns out I'm really interested in defunct theme park attractions - and so are a lot of YouTubers.  Never knew that until YouTube started suggesting I watch those videos.)  Heck, depending on your interests, someone here might be able to recommend you a starting point (I can't be the only YouTube addict here, can I??) Or find podcasts, if you're not a video person.  There's literally something for everyone out there, and filling your mind with something other than health worries might give you a breather from them.   

6 hours ago, Jae said:

Rachel, why are you taking your temperature?  AND why are you taking it multiple times? 

98.4 is NOT a fever .. and do you know that our temperature fluctuates up and down all day long? It's affected on movement, eating, stress, time of the month ( if your ovulating did you know your temp could be 100 due to hormones?) 

Did you know that if your body has responded to a virus or bacteria and it raising your temperature to fight it off, you would be FREEZING, not feeling hot. 

Your anxiety is WAY out of control. 

I know. 😢 I was kinda being cautious because I noticed these today. I don't remember those being there when they pulled out my IV and man did she ever rip it off. Ouch! But it wasn't there when I took a shower or even when I went to bed but I noticed them this morning. :( So now of course I am concerned that it is sepsis and that it got into my bloodstream because they took the IV out wrong or I sadly didn't hold the bandage there long enough. 😢 Maybe they didn't tape it on good enough? So they have me freaked out. It is also bruised there so, maybe this is normal and happens quite a bit? *sigh* I am a mess. I hope I am alright... the arm hurts. 😭 I am trying to stay strong through this. 

IMG_6286.JPG

Stupid camera made it look blurry because of coarse it does. 🙄 

5 hours ago, Iugrad91 said:

I agree with Jae, you need to stop taking your temperature. You are catastrophising by thinking your temp is going up. It is not. It is normal. Temps fluctuate as Jae mentioned with activity, exercise, eating, resting, sleeping, etc... if you want to stop obsessing the first thing you need to do is not take your temp. You are fine!

I know. The only reason I was being cautious was because of the IV thing. I am nervous that it got infected later on after it was pulled out. :( So many red bumps by it all on hairs of course. I am just scared. Scared that this time it was for real and that my sepsis was caused by the removal of this IV. She literally ripped it out and it hurt. 😢

3 hours ago, mollyfin said:

Does your mother work in the mental health field?  Personally I would recommend trying outpatient therapy first.  Mental health hospitals are good for people in immediate danger or in drastic need of serious, immediate intervention.  Anxiety disorders not so much.  Unless you're outside the US and things are different there, but I've been in one and so have lots of people I know, and generally speaking, they focus on stabilizing you enough to function safely.  And if a therapist thinks you need more serious intervention they'll likely recommend it.   

In the meantime, you have to start somewhere, so block health related sites on your browsers and do anything that isn't monitoring your vital signs.  There must be something you enjoy doing, even if anxiety makes it hard.  Maybe hit that backlog of books or Netflix/Hulu shows you've been meaning to take in for a while (American Vandal on Netflix or Runaways on Hulu would be my recommendations if you can't think of anything you're interested in right now), or download Pokemon Go onto your phone and take a walk.  Sign up for a free trial of Skillshare and learn something new.  Click around YouTube until you find a subject you didn't know you were interested in and binge videos like there's no tomorrow.  (It turns out I'm really interested in defunct theme park attractions - and so are a lot of YouTubers.  Never knew that until YouTube started suggesting I watch those videos.)  Heck, depending on your interests, someone here might be able to recommend you a starting point (I can't be the only YouTube addict here, can I??) Or find podcasts, if you're not a video person.  There's literally something for everyone out there, and filling your mind with something other than health worries might give you a breather from them.   

Mollyfin, my mother does not work in the medical field but my aunt does. She thinks it is a good idea, but I think going on some meds should be the first step. I need to try getting better. 

And yeah there is a lot of things I like to do but anxiety cripples me and I wind up doing nothing. :( I like to draw, write, watch tv and movies, play video games, read non fiction, take photography. 

The tape holding down the IV probably caused some irritation. You cannot get sepsis from an IV. Thy clean the skin before putting it in and the needle is in sterile packaging before they insert it. They wear gloves as well. You really need to get a hold of your anxiety over infection. Talk to a counselor or your primary doc about a treatment plan as soon as you can so you can start to move on from this and learn how to deal with your irrational thoughts.

1 minute ago, Iugrad91 said:

The tape holding down the IV probably caused some irritation. You cannot get sepsis from an IV. Thy clean the skin before putting it in and the needle is in sterile packaging before they insert it. They wear gloves as well. You really need to get a hold of your anxiety over infection. Talk to a counselor or your primary doc about a treatment plan as soon as you can so you can start to move on from this and learn how to deal with your irrational thoughts.

Do they  they clean you after the IV is being taken out? It goes so fast that I never paid it any mind. You can get skin irritation from that hours later? How is that possible? How come that wasn't there when they took it out of me? That was why I got concerned in the first place. 

And I am going to do that as soon as I get over this cold thing. Still not feeling the best. :( 

If this was an infection wouldn't I have had a fever a few hours after they took it out? Wouldn't I of have ran one when those bumps decided to show up all around the site? Trying to be rational. 

2 hours ago, RachelStorm98 said:

If this was an infection wouldn't I have had a fever a few hours after they took it out? Wouldn't I of have ran one when those bumps decided to show up all around the site? Trying to be rational. 

Rachel, that rash is just a rash probably from the tape at the e.r. it's not an infection. Not even close. You can't rationalize until you start helping your anxiety which you have not yet. You have gotten very good advice here but you are not following it..you got great care at the e.r that proves you are healthy and you still won't let this go. What have you done for your anxiety today? 

50 minutes ago, Holls said:

Rachel, that rash is just a rash probably from the tape at the e.r. it's not an infection. Not even close. You can't rationalize until you start helping your anxiety which you have not yet. You have gotten very good advice here but you are not following it..you got great care at the e.r that proves you are healthy and you still won't let this go. What have you done for your anxiety today? 

Be honest... can someone really get silent sepsis? No fever no hypothermia, no abnormal WBC count? Normal blood pressure? It kinda bugs me. I felt chills... one of my infected hair follicles is red and I mean bright red and has redness around it. 😕 I feel like I am going crazy here. I felt intense pain in my arms and such and I am just nervous I had it all along and that it went misdiagnosed. And or it popped up just recently as in last night or this morning. The pain hurts. I say it is a five or a six. I feel hot patches in different areas of my body. Idk. I don't really think this is the cold flu that everyone has been getting. Just today I was doing dishes and I felt a pressure on my chest that took my breath away it felt like someone had sat on my chest. :( This scares me... I am scared I had it or just have gotten it. My temperature has fluctuated all day today yet I still think I have it and that it got missed all along. I feel like I won't even make it until tomorrow because I feel like all of my organs are shutting down. I am just so frightened. I am scared I will die tonight. They never were able to find it. Dangit. 

My anxiety has been bad because I am not getting better I am getting worse. 😭 I don't think the cold flu can do some of what I felt today and why did that hair folicale grow more inflamed? Why did I find more red patches on my skin? Is this really Sepsis? I am scared they will never find it if I had it and I will never get treated with the IV antibiotics successfully..,. I will die... in my sleep etc. or go into a coma and never wake up. 

No, no, no!!! You do not and never did have sepsis. You are feeling worse because your anxiety is causing all of these sensations You must let this worry go or you will not feel any better. Do not take your temperature anymore. Please do not wait any longer to seek help for your anxiety. 

So my arms are probably hurting because both of them are bruised from the needles? :) I am hoping that the ibuprofen helps with the pain. I am going to try to get some sleep. No wonder why I feel miserable I never sleep which is bad when I have a cold thing going on. :( So no one can get Sepsis "silently " as so to speak? My mom is wanting to get me help for my anxiety tomorrow.,

So my side/colon feels like it may be swollen. :( I haven't ate much all day so maybe I am just constipated or something. *sigh* I hate this I feel like I had it and it was a "silent" sepsis

Woke up this morning with pain everywhere including under my armpits. :( I can still sit up and walk around but my head hurts and I felt hot and cold this morning like the chills. I feel numb in some fingers and stuff. I am nervous that soon I am gonna go delierous. I felt the area where the folliculitis is and it scares me because it seems like it somehow drained again so of course I am scared that somehow it got into my bloodstream. Maybe this "cold flu" that I have been having for the past 2 to 3 days is really sepsis in disguise. 😡 I can't find the damn thermometer to take my temperature so I can make sure that I am not going into shock or something. So now I am frantically searching the house for it. People should be up in a few hours though so I will probably ask my mom where she thinks she may of have put it. If I can't find it then this morning when we go to Walmart I am gonna be buying a new one. I am going between hot and cold which scares me. *sigh* I feel like my blood work missed Sepsis. Or maybe this is an entirely new case of it and it wasn't found because it didn't happen yet. I really want to go back to the hospital soon if things get worse. But it will just get missed again. 😢 Until I die and after the autopsy they find that I really did have it after all. *sigh*

My signs of sepsis: 

Chills

Confusion

An infection site or two

Organ dysfunction (I can't crap and my kidneys still bother me.) 

Low platlet count (Mine was 169 to 179.) 

Blood in urine (I thought I saw a little when I went pee the last time but I am also on my period.) 

Severe pain

Sleepy

Fatigue 

Pain

Redness around the folliculitis as well as white pus. 

Coughing

Chest pain

Needing to urinate a lot

Absent bowel sounds

Abdominal pain

Nausea 

Fast pulse rate

Sweating

Numbness in extremities (lower back, in my colon area.)

Feeling faint

Feeling of doom or a real fear of death

Cold and clammy skin

Severe muscle pain and extreme discomfort.

Warmer skin (It fluctuates) 

A low temperature. (Under 96.8)

Higher heart rate. (Higher than 90 beats per minute.) 

Patches of discolored skin (does red count?)

Problems breathing. ( Last night I felt like someone sat on my chest and it literally took my breath away.) 

Skin rash

I am really thinking I have that as something is obviously wrong with my colon. :( It felt swollen last night and I haven't been able to really go to the bathroom. My pelvic region really hurts. My back gets cold and numb and then gets warm. I haven't had a bowel movement in about a day. The last time I went it was soft and green in color. I don't think that it was normal. :( I feel like I am gonna die. I feel like my colon is failing. *sigh* I don't know what to do. They can't freaking find it. 😢