Itsjustme05000

Could this be physical symptoms? Trigger warning-worried about brain stuff

A few weeks ago I convinced myself I have a brain tumor even though I actually do not have many symptoms. However, I let it consume me. Thinking about it day and night. Not being able to enjoy my family or my children. This is where it gets weird. I read online that smelling something burning is a sign of a brain tumor(phantom smells).I obsessed about it and it made me very aware of every smell. Then a few nights later I was lying in bed awake with my daughter and I was thinking about it when I fell asleep. I was in a state of half asleep half awake but I dreamed I smelled burnt popcorn then I jumped myself awake and for a second I smelled burnt popcorn VERY strong. The next night I was half asleep half awake and dreamed of someone blowing out a candle. I woke up and smelled it very strong for a second and then it disappeared again. It happened again a few nights later. I dreamed I was smelling bottles of essential oils and I woke up and smelled it very strong, briefly. Last night I could smell smoke on my daughter where my husband had been holding her. I was thinking about it when I went to sleep. Then my son woke me up and I could smell stale smoke on him. Anyway, I have a MRI scheduled this coming week at my request but my question is...Is it even possible my anxiety has caused me to have such strong physical symptoms? I have not had any episodes during the day.  I hate I’ve let this consume my life so much. Thank you to anyone that made it through all of that.

Absolutely it is possible. Phantom smells are an anxiety symptom and the power of suggestion is indeed very powerful. You can read post after post on here of folks googling, reading something about a specific symptom, and then experiencing it, heightening their anxiety. It’s a spiral you don’t want to continue. IMO the #1 rule in health anxiety is DO NOT GOOGLE. If you want to research something, research anxiety, it’s very wide range of symptoms, and what to do to alleviate the worry. I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say “I was worried about XYZ and then I googled and now I feel much better!” Doesn’t happen. Google will give you a list of symptoms but rarely will it give you the details you need to understand what it means. Like all the folks worried about ALS googling twitching and it’s on the list of symptoms. Now they are really worried! But what they don’t read is that twitching doesn’t start until after muscle death and atrophy and its not just a muscle twitching in their leg, arm, hand. So the symptom is not out in the context of the disease, they just see twitching on there (along with other sensations) and then they start feeling those too. I am sure your MRI will come out clean and you will be assured that your anxiety is playing tricks on you, not a BT!

Thanks for your reply. It seemed too coincidental. I was super stressed and worried about that exact symptom before going to sleep and then it happened. This is the worst shape my anxiety has ever gotten me in.

This happens to me all the time. I've had phantom smells for at least 10 years, it's always cigarette smoke and it's always when I'm stressed. It can last for days. I live in non smoking home and  never around anyone who smokes. I've been convenienced I had a brain tumor even before phantom smells. I've been good about brain/neuro things lately but am very focused on heart. I exhaust myself with worry. 

Just wanted to update in case this happens to anyone else. I finally got my anxiety to calm down and this stopped! It was definitely due to anxiety. I can’t believe how far down I let anxiety pull me this time. Finally coming out of it. 

• Like 1

My last update! MRI was clear! My phantom smells were completely from my anxiety. My anxiety basically tricked my brain into smelling these things. I had no idea that could even happen. Just wanted to update Incase anyone finds this and needs reassurance one day :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itsjustme05000 said:

My last update! MRI was clear! My phantom smells were completely from my anxiety. My anxiety basically tricked my brain into smelling these things. I had no idea that could even happen. Just wanted to update Incase anyone finds this and needs reassurance one day :)

so glad your MRI is clear! I had this happened to me before when my anxiety was as it's worst! once I calmed down it went away.... anxiety sucks, I am glad you are ok!

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing and glad all was fine. I've had it bad the past few days along with increased anxiety. It even feels like my nose burns and that I can't breathe. This makes me feel better!

• Like 2

Brain tumors can come in different guises but, heck, smelling things is not really standard presentation. And even if it is it should come with other neurological issues like change in behavior, morning headaches and vomiting, balance issues etc.