Sign in to follow this  
Meriland

Consistent Speech Issues. Dementia Dementia Dementia

So i hope that I don't get nabbed for making a post emphasizing specifically this symptom when I had a more broad post about a culmination of symptoms. 

So, I am intrigued to hear other people's personal struggle with 'dementia' worrries and what symptoms came about as a result of the worry? I see the many worries that seem to plague people in groves, and I notice a relatively large number that worry about brain diseases (including tumours). 

Is significant speech issues/grammatical issues (be it written or spoken) a common thing in the anxiety community? See, I have always been eloquent and well spoken. Sure, sometimes I might flub a word or forget, but for me lately, this seems markedly worse. 

1: I find myself in the middle of a sentence and i stop cause the word I was about to say is not 'there' in my mind. I was prepared TO say it, but it wasn't there. It isn't that I wasnt paying attention to what I was saying or lost my train of thought...which is common. I actually just forget the word I am trying to say as I am about to say it. These occurances are happening about 4 times a day. 

2: I also find myself questioning my grammar and word placement AS I am saying it (verbally and sometimes in writing/typing). Like, I can tell right now that this probably looks well written and grammatically sound, but I will be in situations like this..

"I can tell right now this probably looks well written" (no wait, that doesnt sound right) "i assume that this paragraph looks well typed". And often I feel like I am verbally misplacing verbs/nouns/etc.

3: Probably the scariest one of all, paraphasic errors (i hate Google for giving me a term for this). Just about every other sentence that comes out of my mouth contains some sort of error. By error I mean I say a word all wrong or I get tongue twisters (Venus for Nevus, crairage instead of carriage, etc). Sometimes I say the wrong word altogether! (Playhouse instead of Clubhouse, inches instead of feet, goodbye instead of goodnight). This happens if I am nervous or otherwise calm...but if I am calm when it happens, it raises my flags again.

I feel like I am actually, truly losing my ability to talk. I feel like every time I run across some others speech issue stories, it is not this bad or frequent. Of course, my hubby (who will finish my sentences when it happens mind you) and others would tell you I talk perfectly normal...but it seems bad to me. 

I've been worried about Dementia for years now. In fact it's sort of been my big thing. 

Nothing you're describing sounds all that out of the ordinary to me. I've had on and off bouts of perceived speech issues for years. I've seen my wife and mother do all of the things you describe and even go through phases where they do it frequently.

I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that worrying about a symptom will make it appear more frequently.

It really sucks. Like today I was going to tell my husband "Ken, get your dad up" and it came out like "hey dad....i mean Ken".

I have all those same things.  Like, to a T.  

It's 1000% anxiety.  When I get nervous or frustrated, it gets significantly worse.  And then I become aware of it, which makes it ever worse still, and it's a shitty cycle that doesn't really break until everything else starts to calm down.

And I worry about dementia too.  I worry that I'm showing the early signs of something sinister.  But my wife reassures me that no one else notices that kind of stuff, and EVERYONE has those sorts of issues.  We just tend to be hyperaware.  

Trust me, you're fine.

Dementia is my greatest fear. Every time I forget a word or what I am doing it scares me. My father had some sort of dementia, he also had parkinsons. His sister also had dementia. They were both late stage 80 and 87 yrs old when the passed. I recently lost both my mom and dad only 3 months apart and since then I have been an absolute mess. I read on the internet that antidepressants are linked to dementia so I weaned myself off my meds that I had been on for 20 years that had been doing a good job actually. My shrink couldnt even completely deny that there is a link. I think when you have a loved one with it you automatically think its hereditary too, which doesnt help. It has completely consumed my every waking minute and I am at the end of my rope..death would be better than this constant fear

You are focusing and being oversensitive to how you speak. If you're constantly questioning your word order, word choice, etc., you're going to notice things more often. Think of it this way - when you're speaking a foreign language, if you focus too hard on making sure everything is precisely grammatically correct, you'll stumble a lot more than just relaxing and letting words flow, 100% correct or not. I know I am a lot better at Spanish after relaxing with a beer or something. If I'm not relaxed, I do the same thing as you're doing.