Prettypinotgrigio

Reassurance needed - panic has set in - colon cancer

My cancer fears seem to rotate. First I was convinced I had skin cancer. Now I have focused all my fear on having colon cancer. And now I’m terrified because I have legit symptoms.

for probably a year, I have experienced mucus during bowel movements. No other symptoms. In the past week I’ve started developing:

-2 days of straight diarrhea

-3 days of loose stools that shoot out after I eat or drink anything. They are also very thin, and ribbon like. 

- i haven’t had a solid, non-loose bowel movement in a week.

-I’m going more frequent this week while I used to be once a day

- intense hyper active bowel sounds all the time 

It has to be colon cancer, right? I literally check all the symptom boxes EXCEPT blood. There is no blood in or on my stool.

i made a dr appt for February 4th but don’t know if I’m in an emergency situation? I never know if I’m over exaggerating or not, but these symtpyoms are real!! Help!!

I just went for a CT scan yesterday for this reason. I’m having horrible gas/colon pain, I’ve had constipation for 4 months and then diarrhea for the last month. Also felt a lump that would come and go. Turned out to be stool. I also had the stomach rumbling sounds as well. My CT scan was clear. Dr thinks it’s my anxiety. So it’s definitely a possibility of it just being stress and anxiety.

49 minutes ago, Prettypinotgrigio said:

My cancer fears seem to rotate. First I was convinced I had skin cancer. Now I have focused all my fear on having colon cancer. And now I’m terrified because I have legit symptoms.

for probably a year, I have experienced mucus during bowel movements. No other symptoms. In the past week I’ve started developing:

-2 days of straight diarrhea

-3 days of loose stools that shoot out after I eat or drink anything. They are also very thin, and ribbon like. 

- i haven’t had a solid, non-loose bowel movement in a week.

-I’m going more frequent this week while I used to be once a day

- intense hyper active bowel sounds all the time 

It has to be colon cancer, right? I literally check all the symptom boxes EXCEPT blood. There is no blood in or on my stool.

i made a dr appt for February 4th but don’t know if I’m in an emergency situation? I never know if I’m over exaggerating or not, but these symtpyoms are real!! Help!!

I am sure they are real. But people with actual colon cancer have dark stool typically. They also can have thin stool and other symptoms. 

When you are in a panic state, your poop is affected. TMI, but I get very loose stools, and I have to go more often. This happens under a lot of different circumstances, like when I am in an HA spiral or even when I have to speak in front of a large crowed. So, no, your situation does not have to be colon cancer. It is most likely just hypochondria/anxiety. In fact, I had months of what you are describing, including the ribbons. I am less panicked recently, and my poop is pretty much back to normal.

Personally, no, I do not believe yours is an emergency situation. In fact, cancer is not an emergency situation and, in most cases, takes months to diagnose. So, if you are sent for a colonoscopy, be prepared that you are most likely going to have a wait for that. I am actually scheduled for one next week, my first, and I am getting a bit anxious about it (I am 47 so of that age). But, I had to wait about 8 weeks between referral and getting the appointment.

This sounds like classic IBS nothing more.  And the more you focus on it, the more it is going to act up.  If it has only been a week, that is really not a change in bowel habits.  I often have looser stools, depending on my anxiety, what I eat, etc.  the brain gut connection is unbelievable.  Right now my stomach is a mess as I wait for colonoscopy on Friday for legit blood after looser stools.  I am petrified.

i am, however, confident yours is IBS.

OMG, Travelgirl, my colonoscopy is on Thursday!!!!! G/L

I am dreading the prep!! Never done this before, and I have to work on the day I am not allowed to eat literally anything. Damn it lol!!!

18 minutes ago, NervUs said:

OMG, Travelgirl, my colonoscopy is on Thursday!!!!! G/L

I am dreading the prep!! Never done this before, and I have to work on the day I am not allowed to eat literally anything. Damn it lol!!!

Ugh.  I am scared poopless.  I knew about the whole pooping out everything, but didn’t realize you starve the day before.  Good luck to you as well.

Sounds like anxiety to me. Try to do some meditation or breathing exercises. My toilet habits do this all the time and I went through the exact same fears 2 years ago. You are HEALTHY! You are! 

Hey. I’ve been exactly where you are. The locus of my anxiety has since moved on to my heart, but I can assure you that for about a year I had all the exact same symptoms and fears you are having. 

I didn’t have colon cancer. You probably don’t either. Anxiety does all of the things you’re worried about. And more. 

I know it’s hard. I wish you well. 

• Like 1