zmichelle557

Ughhh rabies fear

So.... Wednesday night my daughter got out of our car and saw what she thought was are cat. She ran after him, picked him up and he bit her. It was a warning bite that barely broke the skin. She provoked the cat by grabbing him. Anyway it wasn't our cat and I think I know who the cat belongs to so I'm certain this cat is up to date on shots. Well here comes the fun part, not, my daughter isn't 100 precent sure what cat bit her. So she will be getting shots because I'm not taking a chance. We have until Wednesday to find any other cat in our area that may look like the cat they bit her. (Like I said I'm almost 100 percent I am right on the cat who bit her) however once I unlocked the door and set our stuff down we went straight to the bathroom to wash her wrist. I've dealt with rabies fears before so I knew I needed to make sure we washed it with soap and water to kill any of the virus. No big deal until I decided that I didn't have enough soap on my hand and I had tiny cuts and I'm sure that there was wet saliva left on her arm somewhere and it got into the little cuts and now I have rabies. I don't know what to do. Should I ask for the shots. The doctors didn't even seem concerned that I had washed it with my hand. I didn't ask about myself because I truly thought this cat was the one I believe it is up until my kids have me questioning myself. We live in the USA middle of town and only 2 reported cases in my county last year. One was a cow and the other was a cat. So of course that sends me into a panic. I have a picture of the cat I think it is on my phone and the owners showed me the vaccination papers. So now I'm just waiting for this cat to show up so I can take a pic and compare to verify it's the same cat. (Also this cat meows a lot, before he bit he gave a warning meow. When I went to talk to the owners of the cat I think it is it was meowing it's head off. The cat looks like our indoor cat which is why she went to grab him.) So do I deal with this or should I call the epidemiologist and ask what I should do?? I really don't want to look like a fool, again. Lol

Well the odds are that you weren't exposed to anything. Being that you live in an urban area it's highly unlikely that you would come across a rabid cat anyway. As to your level of exposure, if your only exposure came through washing there's a very low likelihood of anything to worry about.

However call your GP and get some piece of mind. Sometimes it's worth the inconvenience to your schedule to make an appointment and get some relief from the anxiety.

Thanks for the reply. A few years back my kids were around a dog that tested positive. They swear they didn't touch it but any person near the dog within the 10 days had to vaccinated. I told him I was worried about it even though I wasn't around the dog. He said that he cleaned his brothers wounds from a rabid raccoon bite and he didn't get shots. He didn't believe that there is a need. I'm assuming I would get the same story. They always ask the epidemiologist anyway and we have a 24hour number here in Oklahoma so I will probably call tomorrow if I can't settle myself down long enough to see if the cat shows back up and I can compare it to my pictures.

37 minutes ago, zmichelle557 said:

So.... Wednesday night my daughter got out of our car and saw what she thought was are cat. She ran after him, picked him up and he bit her. It was a warning bite that barely broke the skin. She provoked the cat by grabbing him. Anyway it wasn't our cat and I think I know who the cat belongs to so I'm certain this cat is up to date on shots. Well here comes the fun part, not, my daughter isn't 100 precent sure what cat bit her. So she will be getting shots because I'm not taking a chance. We have until Wednesday to find any other cat in our area that may look like the cat they bit her. (Like I said I'm almost 100 percent I am right on the cat who bit her) however once I unlocked the door and set our stuff down we went straight to the bathroom to wash her wrist. I've dealt with rabies fears before so I knew I needed to make sure we washed it with soap and water to kill any of the virus. No big deal until I decided that I didn't have enough soap on my hand and I had tiny cuts and I'm sure that there was wet saliva left on her arm somewhere and it got into the little cuts and now I have rabies. I don't know what to do. Should I ask for the shots. The doctors didn't even seem concerned that I had washed it with my hand. I didn't ask about myself because I truly thought this cat was the one I believe it is up until my kids have me questioning myself. We live in the USA middle of town and only 2 reported cases in my county last year. One was a cow and the other was a cat. So of course that sends me into a panic. I have a picture of the cat I think it is on my phone and the owners showed me the vaccination papers. So now I'm just waiting for this cat to show up so I can take a pic and compare to verify it's the same cat. (Also this cat meows a lot, before he bit he gave a warning meow. When I went to talk to the owners of the cat I think it is it was meowing it's head off. The cat looks like our indoor cat which is why she went to grab him.) So do I deal with this or should I call the epidemiologist and ask what I should do?? I really don't want to look like a fool, again. Lol

You are having your Daughter get shots?? And the Dr is agreeing to this?

11 minutes ago, Holls said:

You are having your Daughter get shots?? And the Dr is agreeing to this?

If we can't find the cat and make sure it's up to date on shots then she has to get two booster shots. Like I said I really think it's the cat that I know is up to date on shots but she isn't sure. The only way I will know for sure is to see the cat in my yard again. We technically have until Wednesday to verify if it is the same cat or she will have to get the shot no matter what since she was bitten. This is what the ER said the epidemiologist recommended. 

And yes, unless I can compare the cat that's been coming around my house to the one that I believe it is I want her to get the shots just to be safe. 

I also want to note another reason I don't believe this cat has rabies, whether is the same cat I think it is or not, is because he was hanging out with my outdoor cat and they weren't fighting or meowing. Just sitting there. 

The owner of the suspected cat says his cat bites his kids when they pick him up. He just became an outdoor cat 2 months ago when he started messing with their newborn. The cat just appeared around our house 2 months ago and shows up may be a handful of times a week. It all seems to make me think it's for sure the same cat. I've thought the cat was one of our indoor cats before. I had to really look at his face to make sure. I know I'm rambling but I don't want to put this on my kids or husband. He already has to deal with my anxiety enough. Lol