Sign in to follow this  
A11yance

Joint pains

Does anyone else experience this with their anxiety or should I be suspicious of an arthritis/fibromyalgia? As you all know I battled (still battling) with my fear of “a”. However my anxiety seems to be better so I’m not sure if I’m still feeling the effects or what. I’ve been pretty calm the past 3-4 days... I do lift weights and pretty heavy weight however I’ve never gotten joint pains like this in the past (fingers, wrists, elbows, toes, hands) the pain is more bothersome like a constant ache like when gripping or any pressure with hands. I had an emg and didn’t say i had carpal tunnel. Just the bone spurs in c5-c6 causing “irritation” The weather has been cooler however again I don’t remember joint pain when a cold front came through 

We’re having all the same problems. I’ve been expressing a lot of joint point in my fingers (mostly ring finger and pinky) my wrists, foot, and some occasional twitching. They get so much worse when I’m anxious and I know it’s from anxiety but I can’t jelp but think the worst case scenario. Rn I’m worrying about bone or muscle cancers 😭 bc I saw an article about a boy who had it.  

No one else has this problem? If so how long will it take for my anxiety symptoms to reside? It’s been almost a week with a decrease in my anxiety

Aches, pains, lumps, bumps, bruises, cuts, scrapes, nausea, twitching, numbness, tingling, fatigue

All of the above are symptoms, if you will, of being human. Most of them are also possible symptoms of anxiety. Sometimes they are caused by anxiety, sometimes they're not caused by anything beyond aging and many other factors.

It may take a few more days for your anxiety symptoms to dissipate, or it may take a few more weeks, or even months. Anxiety is not an "all or nothing" thing. Anxiety wreaks havoc on the body and the mind, and the effects can and do linger long after the apparent episode of anxiety. Just because you are no longer feeling anxious does not mean you won't feel anxiety symptoms. It's a process, and quite a long one in my own experience.

Once the initial anxiety wears off, or once you successfully seek and apply treatment for chronic anxiety, it still takes a while. I've been free from the day to day thought patterns and behaviors of anxiety for a few months or more. I still experience some symptoms. If I were to gauge my progress in the short term, I'd say I'm not really recovering. Long term is a whole different story, and I can say things are going extremely well.

No. But they're part of being human. Unfortunately, a lot of people worry about them, that they mean cancer or similar.

19 minutes ago, bin_tenn said:

No. But they're part of being human. Unfortunately, a lot of people worry about them, that they mean cancer or similar.

But is it proven that my aches and pains are still anxiety even after my episode has lessened? Is there scientific proof I guess that anxiety symptoms will remain long after an episode?

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis..and it's going on 3 decades of having RA...so I have the worst kind and if you met me in person you'd never ever in a million years think that I have it. So while not something I would wish on anyone, an RA diagnosis is not what it used to be. With that said, most everyone...if not actually everyone has or will have some form of arthritis. Weather and stress absolutely effects all kinds of arthritis. I will literally hurt with stress absolutely no doubt. stress will make me hurt worse. So...it the pain is caused by anxiety...as your body continues to settle down you'll feel better. If it is arthritis/fibromyalgia...I say "so what?" - it's completely treatable and probably inevitable for everyone if they live long enough. If you're concerned and it persists you can see a rheumatologist as they treat patients with all types of arthritis....and most people just have the normal "wear and tear" kind that acts up with weather changes, stress and over doing it etc...

3 minutes ago, PennyPanic said:

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis..and it's going on 3 decades of having RA...so I have the worst kind and if you met me in person you'd never ever in a million years think that I have it. So while not something I would wish on anyone, an RA diagnosis is not what it used to be. With that said, most everyone...if not actually everyone has or will have some form of arthritis. Weather and stress absolutely effects all kinds of arthritis. I will literally hurt with stress absolutely no doubt. stress will make me hurt worse. So...it the pain is caused by anxiety...as your body continues to settle down you'll feel better. If it is arthritis/fibromyalgia...I say "so what?" - it's completely treatable and probably inevitable for everyone if they live long enough. If you're concerned and it persists you can see a rheumatologist as they treat patients with all types of arthritis....and most people just have the normal "wear and tear" kind that acts up with weather changes, stress and over doing it etc...

Penny, if you don’t mind me asking, what are some of your symptoms? How often does your RA come and go? Like do you have flare ups and feel good? Or is it consistent and a dull pain. Also is the pain like a radiating type pain? And lastly (don’t hate me) what type of treatment are you on? 

9 minutes ago, PennyPanic said:

If I had RA wouldn’t it have shown up on my blood work for autoimmune?

1 hour ago, A11yance said:

But is it proven that my aches and pains are still anxiety even after my episode has lessened? Is there scientific proof I guess that anxiety symptoms will remain long after an episode?

Yes, it happens all the time. Ask anyone here. After an extended period of chronic anxiety, the symptoms linger for a long while afterward.

7 minutes ago, bin_tenn said:

Yes, it happens all the time. Ask anyone here. After an extended period of chronic anxiety, the symptoms linger for a long while afterward.

What is considered a long while afterward? A few days? Weeks? Months?. Sorry for digging but I’m just trying to contribute these pains leftover from my HA scare. Not to mention if all of my symptoms are from anxiety it scares me because I’ve never had symptoms this bad and linger like this..

I mentioned in one of the previous replies that it can be days, weeks or even months. Depends on the person, depends on the anxiety and how the body ultimately copes with / recovers from it.

47 minutes ago, bin_tenn said:

I mentioned in one of the previous replies that it can be days, weeks or even months. Depends on the person, depends on the anxiety and how the body ultimately copes with / recovers from it.

Thanks Binn. I was just curious if there is clinical/scientific evidence of that though for peace of mind

IMO, it's likely you have some sort of anxiety disorder. Most of us here do, I think. We aren't experiencing a temporary period of heightened anxiety; we're experiencing chronic anxiety. An anxiety disorder does not just "go away", nor do the symptoms.

2 hours ago, bin_tenn said:

IMO, it's likely you have some sort of anxiety disorder. Most of us here do, I think. We aren't experiencing a temporary period of heightened anxiety; we're experiencing chronic anxiety. An anxiety disorder does not just "go away", nor do the symptoms.

I agree but I don’t understand why all of a sudden I have symptoms 

13 hours ago, A11yance said:

If I had RA wouldn’t it have shown up on my blood work for autoimmune?

Yes there are blood tests that determine whether or not one has some kind of rheumatic disease. Any PCP can run those tests. Rheumatologists obviously also run those tests and help people with arthritis...all forms of arthritis and not just RA.

14 minutes ago, PennyPanic said:

Yes there are blood tests that determine whether or not one has some kind of rheumatic disease. Any PCP can run those tests. Rheumatologists obviously also run those tests and help people with arthritis...all forms of arthritis and not just RA.

Would arthritis show up on an autoimmune test 

13 hours ago, emma2 said:

Penny, if you don’t mind me asking, what are some of your symptoms? How often does your RA come and go? Like do you have flare ups and feel good? Or is it consistent and a dull pain. Also is the pain like a radiating type pain? And lastly (don’t hate me) what type of treatment are you on? 

Emma, I don't hate you...LOL. I take Celebrex and Minocycline. I'm thankfully no longer on steriods...I never took any of the biologics. I'm fully under control with the right generic minocycline...and mine was long standing and severe. Minocycline is what people often take for acne...go figure. If you or anyone else here wants more info on that treatment option, I suggest going to roadback.org

I don't want to tell you the symptoms because, if you are like me, once you hear a symptom you'll get it...or someone else reading this will get it. Here's what you need to know....my symptoms were beyond severe....like we're not talking a little pain here and there...There was no denying that "something" was wrong...very wrong. Like any lay person on the street seeing me from 100 feet away would have known that something was very very very wrong. Like if I walked into any doctors office they'd scream...Without treatment there was no "coming and going" of symptoms...it was constant and it was hell - but that was almost 30 years ago. The good news is...if you saw me now, you'd never know. With all of the choices there are today for meds, RA and other rheumatic diseases are not what they used to be at all.

I know you've posted on here regarding this issue. I would go see a rheumatologist. They'll run some quick tests, look at your joints and advise you. From what you describe it does not sound like RA to me...at least nothing like what I experienced but a rheumatologist is the final authority and will tell you definitively. My rheumy diagnosed me without even running bloodwork (it was really obvious as I said) but confirmed it with bloodwork. 

Literally everyone I know, young and old...has some kind of pain that comes and goes...and they don't have RA. They may have some kind of arthritis...but they do not have RA. My husband has pain in his hands that comes and goes. My sister has pain, my mother has pain, my friends have pain...none of them have RA. 

I hope I helped.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A11yance said:

Would arthritis show up on an autoimmune test 

I don't know what an autoimmune test is. They run my sed-rate and crp plus a complete blood work every 6 months. My doc probably runs other stuff as well, but I don't want to know. If I know, I'll stress. I put myself on a "need to know basis." Oh and...it was really obvious from my blood work that something was very wrong. Like as in my numbers were not borderline nor on the high side. Like I was in the thousands for things that are supposed to be in the teens. 

Now to answer the question and confirm what binn said...for me at least, I have lasting effects from an anxiety episode sometimes for months and even years. I'm always anxious...always...there's always some low level of anxiety for me - and before jump to conclusions, it's not about arthritis...it's about everything else in life. LOL!

My bottom line to anyone with any sort of arthritis pain...no need to be scared, just go see a rheumatologist...they are nice people and specially trained and no matter what form of arthritis you have they'll get you all fixed up in a jiffy. And if you don't have arthritis...that's great. They'll know that as well and will send you on your happy way.

7 hours ago, A11yance said:

I agree but I don’t understand why all of a sudden I have symptoms 

Chances are it's not sudden. I used to think my symptoms were sudden, or that my panic attacks were sudden. Only after I saw my therapist a few times did I begin to understand and realize that my symptoms were there all along, to some degree, and that my panic attacks are always precipitated by some (very subtle) warning signs.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PennyPanic said:

I don't know what an autoimmune test is. They run my sed-rate and crp plus a complete blood work every 6 months. My doc probably runs other stuff as well, but I don't want to know. If I know, I'll stress. I put myself on a "need to know basis." Oh and...it was really obvious from my blood work that something was very wrong. Like as in my numbers were not borderline nor on the high side. Like I was in the thousands for things that are supposed to be in the teens. 

Sed and CRP are autoimmune tests and mine were clean. So I’m assuming I don’t have RA but I guess I could have arthritis 

@PennyPanic thank you so much! You were definitely helpful and I’m so glad your RA is being managed and you’re feeling better. I did get tested for RA and my doctor said I don’t have it, so you’re right. My symptoms are definitely not as severe as yours. Just a lot of random aching in my joints sometimes but they usually go away within a day or two. Maybe it all really is just anxiety. I’ve noticed that it’s definitely worse when I do have anxiety but I can never tell if I got it Bc I’m anxious or I’m anxious Bc of the pain 🤦🏻‍♀️