travelgirl77

Blood from Rectum

Hello!  Last week after a loose bowel movement I wiped and there was blood.  There was also some in the toilet.  This is the first time this has happened and being older at 41 and having a grandparent die of CC, I am petrified.  I thought for a minute it could be hemmies, but I read a story of another anxiety member who also thought their bleeding was hemmies and it turned out to be CC, so I feel like I cannot go by the whole "red blood is ok" thing.  I saw a GI, who didn't examine me, but scheduled a colonoscopy for next week.  I am convinced that this is it.  I can picture the doctor telling my husband that they found a mass, being on chemo, the whole nine.  Of course, my tummy has been a mess since this day with a lot looser stools, which I guess is to be expected, except now I think, why do I have loose stools?  Is that another symptom?  I am barely eating (just enough to not get headaches) and barely sleeping.  HELP!

I will say that prior to this day I had driven about 7 hours home and I did eat some bean dip with jalapenos, but I read that spicy food cannot aggravate hemmies.

Hello,

I had a similar experience last year, I lost my Grandad to CC and then I noticed the same thing. You say you drove 7 hours home sometimes when you are sat uncomfortably this can cause chafing in your bottom. This could also be an anal tear? 

I have a fissure and bleed every now and then. Actually it was pretty bad during the holidays but now is back to normal, When it first happened I was so scared... got the colonoscopy and it was super clean!!!!! At your age CC is VERY rare... don't stress about it and good luck!

Thanks for the advice.  But, doesn't a fissure hurt?  There was no real pain...maybe some stinging, but that could have been from the looser stool.  I am just so scared.

9 times out of 10 red blood in stool, especially when it just appears when you wipe or there are just a few drops in the toilet, is due to either a hemorrhoid or a fissure. Both can be resolved quite easily. Loose stools can cause both hemorrhoids and fissures. If you spend a lot of time sitting down, that can also cause a hemorrhoid, and the loose stool could have made it bleed. Because of your family history, it’s good that you made an appointment with a doctor, but a little bit of red blood is usually just due to irritation, a fissure or a hemorrhoid. I wish you luck and I hope you feel better soon :) 

Hi im a first time poster who suffers really bad with health anxiety it all started back on 18th january 2017 wen i had my son i hemoraged after and ended up with an emergency hysterectomy which has been causing me gi problems since 11weeks after hysterectom i no make myself believe ive every kind of cancer at present its bowel   ive 3 children im only 33 and this is tearing my life apart im struggling to cope with it its nice to no im not alone

When I was 25, which was quite some time ago, I went to the bathroom, and when I wiped, the tissue was full of blood and the toilet bowl water was red. I had an immediate meltdown. It turned out to be hemorrhoids. 

Thank you for the replies.  I am older than 25 though, which is worrying, and I have family history of CC.  I know that I am doing the right thing by getting checked for this one instance of blood, but I am beside myself with worry over CC.  I keep thinking, "this will be my last weekend before C;" My daughter is ultra sensitive and keeps kissing and holding my hand, telling me what a great mom I am.  It is like she knows something.  I feel like if it was hemmies or a fissure it would continue bleeding on and off.  This was like a normal poop, wipe blood, some blood in the bowl, and now nothing for a week.  Like a bleeding polyp or mass.  I am so sad.  I only see one outcome.

My grandmother also had colon cancer and I am getting older; I am 62. My GI physician who is the chief at a large medical center here in Maryland, recommended a colonoscopy every 5 years. I have had many colonoscopies. When I was 25, I had a flex sigmoidoscopy. My first colonoscopy was at age 43, when I had blood when I wiped and in the toilet. It was nothing serious. This has happened to me a number of times, of which the last time was in January 2017. Again I had another colonoscopy, with an EGD and all was OK. 

I forgot to mention my grandmother had CC at age 74 and lived until 96. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travelgirl77 said:

Thank you for the replies.  I am older than 25 though, which is worrying, and I have family history of CC.  I know that I am doing the right thing by getting checked for this one instance of blood, but I am beside myself with worry over CC.  I keep thinking, "this will be my last weekend before C;" My daughter is ultra sensitive and keeps kissing and holding my hand, telling me what a great mom I am.  It is like she knows something.  I feel like if it was hemmies or a fissure it would continue bleeding on and off.  This was like a normal poop, wipe blood, some blood in the bowl, and now nothing for a week.  Like a bleeding polyp or mass.  I am so sad.  I only see one outcome.

Yes, she knows that you are worried about something and probably haven’t been yourself. My son is also very sensitive to others feelings and he can tell when I’m worried about something. He will give me extra hugs and ask what’s wrong. He is 16, and I feel old enough where I can be somewhat honest about the fact that I’m worried and it’s bothering me. I don’t usually tell him specifically what it is but do try to let him know that it’s not him (which he probably thought when he was younger) and I will be ok.

On 1/9/2019 at 2:48 PM, travelgirl77 said:

Thanks for the advice.  But, doesn't a fissure hurt?  There was no real pain...maybe some stinging, but that could have been from the looser stool.  I am just so scared.

Mine doesn't hurt much at all.... I also have hemmoroids, so it could be that too.... 

Thank you again for the replies.  One week to the colonoscopy.  I am sick with worry.  I keep reading your stories (and on other anxiety sites), thinking yes, you were lucky, but it will not be that way for me.  My daughter (the sensitive one) said to me last night, out of the blue, "I want you to be around when I am a grown-up"  Killing me, just killing me.  All I can do is be satisfied that I am going in at the first sighting of blood.  I am scared every single morning when I go to the bathroom, for fear I will see blood again.  

I almost see myself walking out as a C patient.  I have had breast ultrasounds, pelvic ultrasounds, MRIs, etc. and this is definitely the most fearful I have ever, ever been.  I think there is a reason for that.

I am just sick with worry and dread for this Friday.  I keep waking up and thinking, "I have CC."  I keep picturing my life shortened by this.  I just know they are going to find something wrong.  I also feel myself growing in toward myself, if that makes sense.  I don't want to talk to my husband nor my parents.  I am just consumed by this dread and it is almost impossible to shake.  I can only imagine the state that I will be in come Friday.