BejeweledMexican

ALS Symptoms! HELP!

I'm struggling this morning, more than I've struggled in the past year. I haven't had a big anxiety attack like this since probably February 2018, if this is even anxiety. 

Last week my middle finger started twitching on my left hand. I tried not to think anything of it, but it went on for about 3 days. Then my hand started feeling weak. I didn't drop anything but it didn't feel right, and I could tell. Then my chin started having random tremors. I started freaking out silently. 

Yesterday I came to work, and my left hand hurt, SO BAD! It was like major aching for at least 3-4 hours and then after lunch it just stopped! (thankfully, I have a desk job and type on a keyboard all day) But then the weakness came back. I was stupid and googled. I read an article from Cosmopolitan that talked about a 25 year old girl who developed ALS and yes, I read every single symptom she had like slurred speech, weakness, etc. I freaked out to my boyfriend, who helped calm me for the evening but then this morning I woke up and my speech feels slurred. I feel like my tongue is really big in my mouth and I'm talking funny. I also seem to be typing slower than normal and now BOTH my hands feel weak. I'm just a hot mess guys. I'm only 25. I don't want to die so quickly and especially from ALS. I was doing so good for so long and then this ALS fear hits me out of nowhere and now I can't tell what's anxiety and what isn't. HELP! 

Have you read any of the multiple posts on this subject over the past few months? There have been a ton. I suggest you read those and the accurate, helpful responses from the board members rather than Google about an anomoly that may not even be true. And if it is, it's 1 in 50,000,000.

Spoiler alert:  Your symptoms are 100.00% NOT what you fear.

I have not had a chance to read any yet, sometimes I'm hesitant because I've read things before and then started having symptoms that made me spiral down further into the pit, but I guess since I've already hit the bottom there's only upwards to go.

Here's my thing though....how do you explain the hand weakness? It's not like your mind tricks your hand, your mind tricks your mind. Does that make sense? 

There's perceived weakness and clinical weakness. You believing your hand is weak is perceived. Actual weakness is if you're examined and the doctor tells you so. Sounds like with all you can still do, it's not clinical weakness. Even if by chance it were, there are so many minor things that can cause it, like carpal tunnel, and similar nerve entrapment syndroms, pinched nerves and a score more.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bobnnat said:

There's perceived weakness and clinical weakness. You believing your hand is weak is perceived. Actual weakness is if you're examined and the doctor tells you so. Sounds like with all you can still do, it's not clinical weakness. Even if by chance it were, there are so many minor things that can cause it, like carpal tunnel, and similar nerve entrapment syndroms, pinched nerves and a score more.

Can carpal tunnel cause twitching? I know it can cause some of the other symptoms but I wasn't aware it caused twitching. 

IT'S GETTING WORSE! I just had a big and long twitch in my leg! First my left hand, then my right hand and now my leg. This is all in my brain, right? Gosh it's driving me crazy and sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day doesn't help! 

Twitching is caused primarily by anxiety which you have big time. People complain on this board all the time of twitching and major strong contractions of muscles. Likely some minor nerve related thing coupled with a nasty case of anxiety.

Other things that cause twitching:

Low B12 (vitamin responsible for nerve health. If it's low it can cause a lot of interesting symptoms)

Stress

Caffeine

Certain medications

Pinched nerves

etc 

36 minutes ago, jdgate said:

Other things that cause twitching:

Low B12 (vitamin responsible for nerve health. If it's low it can cause a lot of interesting symptoms)

Stress

Caffeine

Certain medications

Pinched nerves

etc 

Unfortunately I'm not on any medications, I take a Stress B-Complex vitamin every day, and the only thing stressing me out is this dumb anxiety! 

I was FINE during lunch and then I came back to my desk afterwards and I'm dropping pens and unable to grab ahold of paper without being all flimsy with it. I don't know what to do guys, I just don't know. 

"The incidence is defined as the number of new cases per year. Within a population of 100,000 people, there are 2 new ALS cases each year.  The average age of people who are diagnosed with ALS is between 55 and 65.  The number of new cases of ALS varies with age. For people in their 60’s there are three to four new cases within a population of 100,000 each year.  The disease is more common among non-Hispanics and more common in men than women".

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bobnnat said:

"The incidence is defined as the number of new cases per year. Within a population of 100,000 people, there are 2 new ALS cases each year.  The average age of people who are diagnosed with ALS is between 55 and 65.  The number of new cases of ALS varies with age. For people in their 60’s there are three to four new cases within a population of 100,000 each year.  The disease is more common among non-Hispanics and more common in men than women".

I always look at statistics to help calm my nerves, so thank you. For some reason I can't shake this though and I think it has to do with the fact that I read that article about the 25 year old girl, same age and gender as me, who got it. Why is it that reading that freaks me out so bad? It's not common in and of itself and even less with my demographics and yet here I am dropping pens and papers and all. Ugh, guys I hate anxiety.