Ethansmom

shortness of breath

I know this is a common anxiety symptom, but how do you make it going away? Some of you know i had a surgical procedure on Friday, and the surgery sheet mentioned to call if i had any of the following symptoms,

Chills, fever, leg pain, shortness of breath, etc.   Now my crazy irrational brain is telling me that what if I have a blood clot causing the shortness of breath. How do I tell that apart from Anxiety. I just feel like I am manually breathing. I know that i have had this several times before. What helps you get over this? I have one of those finger pulse oximeters. If i was truly short of breath, would that show it?

My physician told me that when you are anxious, you don't breath properly, which gives the impression of being short of breath. 

O2 saturation and shortness of breath are not directly related. You can have true shortness of breath with either normal and low O2. With that being said, are you experiencing any other signs of a blood clot? Fever, chills, redness, swelling, abnormal pain, etc? Does the shortness of breath becomes noticeably worse with physical exertion of any kind? Can you take deep, satisfying breaths (e.g. breathing exercises)?

Hi Marc and Bonn! No other symptoms. In fact the breathing got better when my husband called me at work . I’m going grocery shopping to hopefully the walking will help. I never know what a “true” emergency is anymore 

Oh, I think you'd know if you actually faced a real emergency. :) Anxiety likes to pretend it knows everything, and thinks it's always right. But the keywords are "pretend" and "thinks." You're fine, @Ethansmom. I'm glad your procedure went well, and I'm sure you'll feel better soon. I hope your family is well.

26 minutes ago, Ethansmom said:

Thanks Binn. And i have no more shortness of breath. Hooray! Stupid anxiety!

You're welcome. Glad you're feeling better. I get pretty bad SoB with anxiety. Sometimes it's not bad at all. Many times, however, it feels terrible, I get a tightness of sorts near my nose and in my chest, along with palpitations. Just anxiety though. :)